The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Question about 'Shattered'
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Ensign

Default Question about 'Shattered'

I was just watching the Star Trek Alternate Realities Collective and just finished the Voyager episode 'Shattered'...

After Voyager passes near a spatial rift, Chakotay is injured in Engineering, leaving his body in a state of temporal flux.
After receiving treatment in sickbay, he inadvertently gains the ability to pass through rifts in time that are scattered throughout the ship, enabling him to walk into different stages of Voyager's history over the past seven years.

All in all, I think this was one of my favorite Voyager episodes. It had everything: the first mission, the Maquis, the Borg, Seska and the Kazon, Chaotica...

I thought it was a great plot device to round all these characters up into one solid story.
My only problem with it was the very end when Janeway mentions knowing where Chakotay hid his cider stash and won't tell him because of the 'Temporal Prime Directive'.

See, at first I thought maybe she actually remembered what she and Chakotay went through in the episode and for all these years she had some for-knowlege of what was to come (her determination to humanize Seven of Nine always made me wonder if she remembered this timeline --the other episode where Seven helps Braxton fix Voyager's past also made me wonder about this). I thought maybe it was the immunization shot Chakotay gave her that made her remember and future-Icheb's comment about never telling Neelix but I noticed tonight that he also gave the others a shot as well when they came to the rescue and took out Seska's gang. At first I thought that was because of injecting the jell-packs from all other sections of the ship that allowed them to pass the barriers but Seska did actually say that he injected the others. So there goes that theory.

Now I'm thinking that Janeway simply remembers Chakotay telling her at the beginning of the show that he found Icheb and Naomi doing a puzzle in the cargo bay when he got the bottle.
Was Janeway just B.S.ing him about the TPD and guessed his hiding spot or does she actually remember something?

One other nit-pick I have is why Chakotay was so insistant on using the TPD excuse from telling her anything that happened anyway.
It wasn't knowlege about the future -- it was about past stuff.
Why hide it from her in the first place?
This wasn't Janeway from 7 years ago.

I'm curious about everyone else's opinions on these matters.
Does anyone else think Janeway knows something or was she kidding?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Captain

I'm not sure about Janeway and what she knew, but I have to say that I love this episode too! It is one of my favorites.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Ensign

I think that Janeway knows nothing more about this episode than the beginning and the end. I think she is knowing Chakotay very well so she guesses that he had a secret place where to hide the bottles.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

She's the Captain, and a captain has to know
everything about her ship.
Including where Chakotay hides his booze.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Lieutenant

I think it's a cross between how well she knows him and him saying he was in the cargo bay with Icheb, Naomi, and the puzzle.