The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > The height of Trek popularity?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant

Question The height of Trek popularity?

When would say the height of Star Trek popularity was?

I'd say the late 80s and the 90s.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Ensign

Well I think it's pretty obvious, there was a time when they could make 2 series at the same time

Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Federation Councillor

I think the last peak was around 1996 - FC a critical and box-office hit, and 2 popular series on the air simultaneously, alongside the Star Trek: Experience opening, the anniversay specials etc.

Maybe the one before was around the mid 1980s when there was a succesful film franchise and TNG was launched.

Hey, maybe there's a 10 year cycle emerging here? Coz around a decade before that was the excitement of Phase 2 then TMP, and a decade before that Star Trek was aired for the first time.

So having been around a decade since the last peak, maybe we're due another? Courtesy of the new film?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The first 10 minutes of Broken Bow, before 10 million viewers changed the channel.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH*coughcoughcough*HAHAHAHHOMG!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Captain

Here in Görmeny Treks poularity seems to have been at its heights when Generations hit the screen. The mundane parts of society saw Trek as geekish and strange, but acknowledged its popularity and financial success with critique that tried to accept the specialities of SF and SF fans. So, reviews of Generations where somehwat like: "Most of us may roll eyes but for fans its THE weekend of the year."

It was the time where every popular science magazine had to have a cover story about wormholes, warp drive, beaming and time travel. And none of these articles got away without the obligatory picture of Kirk with Phaserrifle, the TNG crew on the Bridge or the 1701-D in front of a planets crescent. TV had Trek marathons and Trek documentaries at prime time with countless adds and announcements weeks beforehand. There where poster campaigns all over Berlin announcing a new TV station had aquired TOS and reran the show.

Then, with every subsequent TNG prequel and the more of Voyager was shown Treks popularity slowly declined until Nemesis was finally completely ignored by the public. No adds on TV, no reviews, complete silence. The only paper daring to review Nemesis was a local magazine here in Berlin that aimed at youth, subculture, pop and comic. Most of the people writing for that magazine where the new generation of geek friendly hipsters. But even they had started to roll eyes very obviously and demonstratively.

When Enterprise hit the tube, no one seemed to give a damn anymore. And it stayed that way ever since.

PS: Star Trek got outstripped by Lord of the Rings, X-Men, Harry Potter and finally the new Batman movies. In TV it was clearly beaten by Stargate and untill the past two or three years by BSG.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 12-28-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hiert View Post
Well I think it's pretty obvious, there was a time when they could make 2 series at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think the last peak was around 1996 - FC a critical and box-office hit, and 2 popular series on the air simultaneously, alongside the Star Trek: Experience opening, the anniversay specials etc.

Maybe the one before was around the mid 1980s when there was a succesful film franchise and TNG was launched.

Hey, maybe there's a 10 year cycle emerging here? Coz around a decade before that was the excitement of Phase 2 then TMP, and a decade before that Star Trek was aired for the first time.

So having been around a decade since the last peak, maybe we're due another? Courtesy of the new film?

I agree with all this. It was unfortunately a tough time for me as I was living away from home during my cardiology fellowship and I never had time to watch TV and DVR hadn't come along yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

vuedoc,

Don't feel alone. I still haven't seen all of DS-9, and have missed about 1/3 of Enterprise. Heck, I was shocked to realize that there were still a few TNG episodes that I've managed to miss as well... (It sucks having a job that often gets in the way of your TV viewing.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

Good points. But something else happened.

Over-saturation occurred at this point and one could almost see the beginning of the end. It was difficult to sustain the creative drive; particularly with the same people at the helm. For me, the height of popularity was the of the anticipation of something new emerging. It has occurred a few times during the life of Star Trek. And this fits perfectly with the ten cycle. Here we are.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
Good points. But something else happened.

Over-saturation occurred at this point and one could almost see the beginning of the end. It was difficult to sustain the creative drive; particularly with the same people at the helm. For me, the height of popularity was the of the anticipation of something new emerging. It has occurred a few times during the life of Star Trek. And this fits perfectly with the ten cycle. Here we are.
Oversaturation? Oversaturation occurs whenever a show or a franchise gets lazy, repetitive, generic, uninspired, in other terms: Voyager.