The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Captain

I love STTMP, it is wonderful, then when the Directors cut came out, I was floored!!! I will never forget seeing it at the theater for the first time, Classic trek!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Midshipman

I've seen the directors cut and enjoyed it, but this isn't my favorite Trek film. The soundtrack is freakin amazing! But I would have preferred to see more character interactions and fewer slow pans :-P very well done film though.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Ensign

It's so nice to see others who share my fondness for TMP. I remember waiting in a long line on Dec. 7, 1979, and loving every second of it. This film to this day, really feels like you are looking at the future. I loved the sets, uniforms, the music, and the Enterprise never looked more majestic before or since. I often wonder where Trek would have gone if "Star Trek II" would have picked up right after the end of TMP. Kept Kirk as Captain, kept the sets and uniforms the same, and just continued on a second 5 year mission. I remember being really confused when seeing TWOK for the first time. Here Kirk is an Admiral again, everyone was split up again, and thinking didn't they just spend part of the first film getting everyone back on the Enterprise and making Kirk a Captain again? The whole training cruise with Spock now as Capt. seemed unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I loved TWOK, but I just would like to have seen a direct sequel to TMP.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It gets a real bad rap for its...wonky (for lack of a better word) pace, although I think the directors cut improved that a great deal somehow. The music is amazing and I love the way the Enterprise looked in it.

Overall, it's not my favorite, but it's no where near the worst.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Ensign

When watching this as a youngster on TV (was born in '86 so never seen it on the big screen) I just loved seeing it for the ship & Captain Kirk.

As a teenager I thought it was a bit boring at times, and now at 22 getting to see the Robert Wise stamp of approval on his directors edition DVD I'm now very fond of it.

It's a great sci-fi movie, with a hint of 2001 thrown in. With some of the most fantastic effects i've ever seen in a movie, particuarly in the clould sequeances. The score ensures a great delivery of the film.

It's just such a pity the release date of the film hindered it so much in production.

It also didn't help with it being relased mainly due to the explosion of Star Wars, people were expecting something like Star Wars with this and they didn't get it, they had to wait another 3 years to get something like it.

TMP was of a different kind of film which is becoming more rare today, there's no "bad guy", its not about fighting or anything like that and that was what made Star Trek special. Some of the best episodes had nothing to do with such things.

As a result this film got very underrated and I think today it's only starting to get recognised by others for what it really was. I feel the same about Star Trek V, but thats a whole other topic.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liken TMP to 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's slow, but it's also a really good film when you try to find a deeper meaning.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Ensign

One thing that I think is interesting about TMP is Shatner's Kirk in that film. It is much more like the Kirk of TOS. The same intonations, same mannerisms. However, in TWOK, it's much more Shatner playing Shatner and Shatner looking much older, whereas in TMP Shatner/Kirk really doesn't look much older than the Kirk of TOS.

In most respects, I prefer the performances in TMP as they are a mirror and refinement of the TOS characters. McCoy is very TOS McCoy in TMP. Spock is very TOS Spock in TMP. After this movie, everything got much looser as if we were going to see the actors goofing off and having fun, whereas TMP is pretty serious.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I would have to say that the first time I saw it I thought it was boring, as compared to the other Trek films. Now I realize that it was truly a misunderstood film. The ride out to the Enterprise, and seeing her in her refit glory was truly amazing. I thnk the whole Veger thing could have been improved, but I still love TMP.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Midshipman

Default A bit worried

I watch TMP about once every three to four months and I always see something new. I have it on VHS and Laserdisc, so comparing the versions, from when I was growing up is always a great endeavor. TMP is the absolute best example of resisting the time when the 'star wars' phenomenon was in full swing and the result could have been a tragic 1970's glitz filled high budget incarnation of Phase 2, which would have killed the franchise. It was good to see many of the characters in TMP from Phase 2, most notably the Epsilon 9 commander, originally slated to play Spock in Phase 2 when Nimoy passed on the opportunity. To really understand TMP, try watching more of Robert Wise's films. Everything is about pace, continuity and an amazing command of composition, lighting and perspective. When you look at his resume, it reads like an american version of Stanley Kubrick, taking on every type of movie, and setting the benchmark in each category.

Just a few of his ground breaking films:

The Andromeda Strain
The Sound of Music
West Side Story
Run Silent, Run Deep
The Hindenburg

More later, but I have always had a soft spot for Wise's films, and he constantly suprises me whenever I see one of his movies, TMP is no exception. I sincerely hope that ST11 does not fall prey to the new Superman generational problems, avoided with the new Batman Series, but I am a bit worried.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Federation Councillor

I guess I am the lone dissenter here, I rember seeing TMP in '79 and thinking, "We waited 10 years for this??"

I was also shocked that such a great directoer made such a realtivly bad film.

But after learning TMP's history, I was a little more forgiving.

But TMP-DC made this into a finished film worthy of Wise's repuation and skill!