The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Star Trek: The Motion Picture

In 1979, after a ten-year hiatus, the crew of the Starship Enterprise returned, once again ready to boldly go where no man had gone before- in this case, THE BIG SCREEN!!!
The real reason I thought TMP would be a good topic for discussion, besides the fact that this is my favorite Trek film, is that I can so far compare TMP quite a bit with the upcoming TREK XI; both were announced suddenly to a public who desperately needed real, honest-to-goodness Star Trek, both were helmed by experienced and ingenious film directors, and both are revolutionary when compared to the material that came before them (we'll have to wait until Christmas '08 to see how far the similarities really go).
Opinions are generally mixed when regarding this film. It was a huge leap beyond the old 60's series in music and special effects, but it wasn't quite what everyone was expecting. Generally, this leads many to place TMP near the bottom of the list, although I cannot for the life of me see why. To me, this was Star Trek at its BEST, and it is to this day my favorite out of all the films and episodes ever made.
But, although TMP was the definitive Star Trek in MY opinion, this topic is not about my opinion; it is about YOURS. So, without further ado, what do you all think about Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Default it's extremely underrated I think

I like TMP quite a bit. I think it is much more to the heart of what star trek is about. It is much more about exploration than any other of the films. This thing is coming towards earth and destroying or disabling anything that is in it's path so it obviously seems hostile. Then they realize what it is trying to do, alot like the probe in trek IV. It's only trying to communicate, answer questions and that's what star trek is about to me, asking questions, exploring and then understanding. TMP is very imaginative and the rerelease of the dvd where they flushed out the design on V'ger quite a bit more helped make the film more whole I thought. The movie's a trip and that's what star trek is at it's best, it takes you somewhere wonderous, where no one's gone before and the innards of V'ger certainly seemed alien to me, especially when Spock enters the central chamber and mind-melds with V'ger. Always reminded me of 2001 a bit. It's great Scifi, it's the only trek movie I can think of that enters scifi territory to such an extreme, much like a number of TOS episodes did. The other films just do not go out nearly as far. When Spock, Kirk and company witness the birth of a new life form as Kirk says, with Dekker and the bald chic, sorry can't remember her name, starts with an "I" I think, merge into some new life form with V'ger it's a great culmination, an idea that is extremely metaphysical and I like that kind of thing.

Well I talked about that too much. sorry if that posts was too long. Great movie though!!!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

TMP i think strived to be an epic. Loved the slow flybys and the soundtrack was bang on gy Goldsmith. More detail in the plot and dialogue and less long space shots probably would have been better,
and there wern't many shots of the ENT interior that i wanted, it was mostly the bride, sickbay, cargo bay.

the end of the film really had a TOS feel to it, not just an movie happy ending.

PS Livingston: Dekker's girlfriend's name is Illia
Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Commander

I find that Star Trek: The Motion Picture is an often misunderstood film.

Many who saw it were expecting something more akin to Star Wars, lots of action and adventure, and something of a fast pace.

The thing is, although it could be termed as an adventure, I believe it was much more of a cerebral film.

It dealt with big themes and ideas, the larger questions about our own origins, and how our own self image shapes our image of our creation.

It is also the only movie that truly deals with the unknown: What is this cloud? Why is it here?

There is a sense of mystery missing from the rest of the movie series, and is the only true epic Star Trek story on the big screen.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Ensign

It was Trek so I liked it but I was disappointed. It was the beginning of the 'Odd Curse'.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready Room View Post
TMP i think strived to be an epic. Loved the slow flybys and the soundtrack was bang on gy Goldsmith. More detail in the plot and dialogue and less long space shots probably would have been better,
and there wern't many shots of the ENT interior that i wanted, it was mostly the bride, sickbay, cargo bay.

the end of the film really had a TOS feel to it, not just an movie happy ending.

PS Livingston: Dekker's girlfriend's name is Illia
Illia, that's right, thanks ready room!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

I just watched TMP and TWOK Director's Cuts again recently, and here are a couple ideas to add:

Depending on what you wanted out of a TREK feature film experience, if you were of the generation alive to see them upon release, then one of these films would please you more and one might leave you disappointed.

Those who enjoy TOS for the characters generally got what they wanted out of TWOK, and perhaps missed that close camraderie in TMP. In the first film, they got a broader science fiction movie from Paramount and Robert Wise, which blended TREK with elements and themes and styles more similar to 2001. No doubt a number of fans wanted TMP to be more TREK-specific throughout.

On the other hand, those who liked the broader sci-fi themes and epic exploration of TREK might well prefer TMP over TWOK, since the latter was scaled much more like TOS deliberately.

Having grown up on TOS, I'd say TMP was more ambitious as a filmgoing experience, and TWOK was a more satisfying story.

Btw, for younger fans who find the extended flyby of the ship 'boring' or at least overdone, you'll have to try to imagine that an entire generation of fans had grown up on or grown devoted to TOS always compensating for the fact that this epic series was confined to a very small screen. The model may have been 8 feet long, but the ship typically looked about 8 inches long on our low-res old screens. Seeing the Enterprise for the first time on a big screen in scale was HUGE to fans, and that long flyby may not have been great moment in drama, but it was an indulgent gift to fans who finally got to see the 1701 'life size' after a decade of waiting. It was a genuine thrill in its time.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I Seeing the Enterprise for the first time on a big screen in scale was HUGE to fans, and that long flyby may not have been great moment in drama, but it was an indulgent gift to fans who finally got to see the 1701 'life size' after a decade of waiting. It was a genuine thrill in its time.
When people complain about this sequence, I get defensive. I had never even contemplated this realm of poetry and history as an explanation. I have always, ever said: "Kirk never gets to see his ship."

So I think it is necessary to the drama.

And a gift.

And, sadly, I saw it for the first time on low res-eighties videotape. Maybe beta looked better.

LOVE THIS MOVIE!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Midshipman

I for one agree that STTMP is the best of the lot. Go back and watch them all again, and after all these years, you'll see that even the most "popular" episodes of the time haven't aged as well as STTMP. And of course the "Director's Edition" is the cats pajamas!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Commander

Comparing TMP to TWOK is like comparing apples to oranges.

I love them both for different reasons, and they are both top-notch movies.

MissionTrek08 hit the nail on the head.