The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > The physics of star trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spockezri View Post
Sounds fun. I once tried to give a presentation about transporter physics to my famiy but no one wanted to hear it.

~Spockezri
I'll listen to it. Shoot!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktrick View Post
i just wanna say that in allot of ways star trek has changed the ways that we look physics and space travel.
Couldn't agree more, kicktrick, couldn't agree more!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Couldn't agree more, kicktrick, couldn't agree more!
Yep... Star Trek gave my older sister and I our careers. Sister, whenever I ask her what she is doing she is always doing something soooo interesting... She'll tell me about it. Space Camp as a kid, getting a pilots license, studying up on orbital mechanics...building little robots...having them run around her apartment... many many years ago interned at NASA-Lewis in Ohio. Right now she is in Indiana working on her Phd in Aerospace in the area of improving propulsion, at Purdue U. That's where many astronauts have gone to school at. She is the brain and the pioneer of the family. I on the other hand want to make my fame and fortune(knock on wood) in the world of art, film & animation. I argue on her behalf when people see no benefit in the space program. I want to help keep the dream of the promise of science and space travel alive and blossoming. I am sooo proud of her!

http://www.dianahuang.com

Last edited by Ditroi : 02-11-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Yep... Star Trek gave my older sister and I our careers. Sister, whenever I ask her what she is doing she is always doing something soooo interesting... She'll tell me about it. Space Camp as a kid, getting a pilots license, studying up on orbital mechanics...building little robots...having them run around her apartment... many many years ago interned at NASA-Lewis in Ohio. Right now she is in Indiana working on her Phd in Aerospace in the area of improving propulsion, at Purdue U. That's where many astronauts have gone to school at. She is the brain and the pioneer of the family. I on the other hand want to make my fame and fortune(knock on wood) in the world of art, film & animation. I argue on her behalf when people see no benefit in the space program. I want to help keep the dream of the promise of science and space travel alive and blossoming. I am sooo proud of her!
That's great! I've seen so many documentaries on physics, other sciences and the scientists are always talking about how star trek influenced them and in many cases was the thing that set them down that road in the first place. I'm amazed as well when people talk about little need for a space program. It'd be nice if we could have a little more of that drive and ambition we had in the 1960's, which in some ways I think the teaser for this new trek movie captures. Let's build a space ship and see what's out there. The future begins. Well things'll come around eventually and the space program will have a rebirth and we'll go back to some of that 60's optimism, at least I hope.

I'm 'knocking on wood' for a career in the film industry as well. Are you looking to work mostly in film/animation, photography? Good luck to you!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
That's great! I've seen so many documentaries on physics, other sciences and the scientists are always talking about how star trek influenced them and in many cases was the thing that set them down that road in the first place. I'm amazed as well when people talk about little need for a space program. It'd be nice if we could have a little more of that drive and ambition we had in the 1960's, which in some ways I think the teaser for this new trek movie captures. Let's build a space ship and see what's out there. The future begins. Well things'll come around eventually and the space program will have a rebirth and we'll go back to some of that 60's optimism, at least I hope.

I'm 'knocking on wood' for a career in the film industry as well. Are you looking to work mostly in film/animation, photography? Good luck to you!
My biggest desire is just to work on many great inspiring movies/tv shows. Baby steps still... I can't wait for this writer's strike to be over...give them what they want. What they are asking for is reasonable!!! Dec. I began to be on my way. I'm really interesting in the, un-glamorized & nomadic, area of pre-visualization for feature film. It's the best way for a recent grad like me to actually get into the process of planning action scenes before they are done. You get to meet the director and collaborate. I was hired for a week at Proof, a pre-vis company, to help get a 6 month project wrapped up. This film is being filmed now, I think. Its called "Wednesday" bank rolled by Dreamworks. Proof liked me and promised me more work in this new year. There isn't a glut of new scripts with action/vfx heavy scenes to be pre-visualized right now. Not enough to make room for a newbie like me right now. My thesis is a pre-vis piece for a fantasy/scifi story I am working on. Check it out if you want... http://www.dianahuang.com

How about you? What is your area of interest?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Commander

People do not realize they are reveling in the fruits of the space program. If the fruits of the space program were to vanish... we'd be stuck in the 1960s.

Communication satellites(no coincidence cell-phones look like the old communicators), weather forecasting, the barcode, velcro, battery operated-hand held tools, heat resistant materials to protect our firefighters when they are surrounded by flames. The list goes on and on...read about them here:http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

Last edited by Ditroi : 02-11-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

I was also brought to science by Trek. BTTF first raised general interest, I wanted to be like Dr. Brown
Then ST shaped my plan to devote my life to science.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Porco is consultant! Read more in new thread about STXI movie...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
My biggest desire is just to work on many great inspiring movies/tv shows. Baby steps still... I can't wait for this writer's strike to be over...give them what they want. What they are asking for is reasonable!!! Dec. I began to be on my way. I'm really interesting in the, un-glamorized & nomadic, area of pre-visualization for feature film. It's the best way for a recent grad like me to actually get into the process of planning action scenes before they are done. You get to meet the director and collaborate. I was hired for a week at Proof, a pre-vis company, to help get a 6 month project wrapped up. This film is being filmed now, I think. Its called "Wednesday" bank rolled by Dreamworks. Proof liked me and promised me more work in this new year. There isn't a glut of new scripts with action/vfx heavy scenes to be pre-visualized right now. Not enough to make room for a newbie like me right now. My thesis is a pre-vis piece for a fantasy/scifi story I am working on. Check it out if you want... http://www.dianahuang.com

How about you? What is your area of interest?
Great video, I'll have to look at your site more carefully later, but liked what I saw. I've always found pre-visualization an interesting field. Part of preproduction that now is a huge department with the new technology. Good luck with it! Heard some good news about the writers' strike today, looks like they're going to settle this week, which is good. It is ridiculous that they didn't settle this weeks ago, what the writers are asking for is certainly not unreasonable and the studios have lost more money by not settling than they would've by just giving the writers' their due.

I'm mainly trying to get into directing, starting through film editing. You can check out a short film I shot on this page here, if you want. It's about a theoretical physics theory called String Theory.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IoKKI1MoQsc

Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Midshipman

Default Parallel Worlds

Parallel Worlds is a book by Michio Kaku. The author of Hyperspace. It will set your brain on fire. It is about M theory or the theory of everything. Infinite Universes, Space Time, Super String Theory. Anything seems possible.