The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Send in the Iconians
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Default Send in the Iconians

Hey everyone, I'm new. Been looking around at the threads. Just wondering. Anyone out there ever wished more had been done with the Iconians? Remember them?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Blue-Yellow-Yellow-Red
Blue-Blue-Blue

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Midshipman

Funny that you should mention it because I've just started reading the book Star Trek: The Next Generation-Gateways Book 3, "Doors Into Chaos" and it deals with the supposed return of the Iconians who are opening portals throughout the universe in a bid to sell technology to the highest bidder. It references Picard's past encounter with their homeworld and their gateway technology and I looked it up and watched the episode of TNG last night "Contagion" that deals with that encounter. So far it's a pretty good book and "Gateways" is a decent series up to this point.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Ensign

I would love to see more on the Iconians, or ever the race that seeded the genetic pools of a hundred worlds.

One of the fan series.... the green screen one, has some Iconians in it.

"Four hundred years ago, a victorious general spoke the following words at the end of another costly war: 'Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended... we have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph, and from both we have learned there can be no going back. We must move forward to preserve in peace what we've won in war'."

- William Ross, quoting Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingersGhost View Post
Funny that you should mention it because I've just started reading the book Star Trek: The Next Generation-Gateways Book 3, "Doors Into Chaos" and it deals with the supposed return of the Iconians who are opening portals throughout the universe in a bid to sell technology to the highest bidder. It references Picard's past encounter with their homeworld and their gateway technology and I looked it up and watched the episode of TNG last night "Contagion" that deals with that encounter. So far it's a pretty good book and "Gateways" is a decent series up to this point.
I've never read any of the star trek books. That sounds interesting. What's the best book or at least one that'd be good to read first?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
I would love to see more on the Iconians, or ever the race that seeded the genetic pools of a hundred worlds.

One of the fan series.... the green screen one, has some Iconians in it.
Yeah, I'd like to see more of the 'seeding' race too. Always liked that episode, showed another side to Picard, with his archaeology mentor. Roads not taken sort of thing and it felt almost like and Indiana Jones adventure, in space. Well maybe that last part's just me, but great episode!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I've never read any of the star trek books. That sounds interesting. What's the best book or at least one that'd be good to read first?
You know, they're all pretty good with an occasional snoozer. I think most of the older Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager books were stand alones for the most part, but over the last decade there's been more storylines that continue into the next novel. There's literally hundreds of books out there to choose from with all the series combined, but a book I can highly recommend is Star Trek: Voyages Of The Imagination which gives a breakdown of most of the books to come along in the last 30 years. If you want to read books with original casts that aren't too far along as of yet, then I recommend Peter David's Star Trek New Frontier series with about 17 novels to date (including crossovers), Star Trek Vanguard series (3 books), Star Trek Titan (the further adventures of Will Riker and Deanna Troi after they left the Enterprise-4 novels), and Deep Space Nine and Star Trek Voyager both have had "Relaunch" series that take their storylines on past the ends of the shows. I know I'm kind of haphazard with all these descriptions, but there are just so many out there, but I've enjoyed most. I do definitely recommend Star Trek: Voyages Of The Imagination though to let you know what's all out there.