The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Moore: it's time to reinvent the original
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That was fascinating out look on life.

I know, isn't it though?....lol
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

I might argue that both ST and the new BSG are shows about hope, but told with very different tones in their stories: the first is based on exploration, the latter is based on survival.

Given that a weekly TV series but run many more hours than a feature film, it's not surprising that BSG is both more reflective of current events and episodic in nature (for both storylines and character development) -- it has the luxury of time to do so.

Just because BSG is darker and grittier doesn't mean it contains no hope, but the hope of a safe, peaceful future must be fought for by underdogs, not maintained and spread through the galaxy by the establishment.

One can easily argue that current world society is not terribly focused on exploration and the search for knowledge -- we're facing global troubles on multiple levels, and BSG reflects that directly and appropriately. Sure, it's not everyone's dramatic cup of tea, but there's good reason for this approach.

On the flipside, many people are likely yearning to foster and participate in a (near) future looking up to the stars with wonder and curiosity again, and with luck TREK will encourage if not renew that sentiment.

Everything turns in cycles.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Captain

<opinion>
Ron Moore was one of the most creative people involved in Trek for a long time. His shows are character driven, not relying so much on action to fill the spaces. Let us not forget that he was credited with much of the development of the rich Klingon background. BSG's reimagining was dark because that's what he saw for that particular story and setting.
</opinion>

No one has suggested that he would be involved in a new series. No one, of course, but me.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
No one has suggested that he would be involved in a new series. No one, of course, but me.
Soooo...yer da one dat started dis Bru-Ha? Why I outta....lol
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Federation Councillor

I like Moore a lot, and much of his work. He has his off days like everyone, but generally I find him to be a very good writer, and especially good at character work (per BSG). Yes, his Trek was dark, but I like dark Trek, it was much more interesting for a time because of it. Of course dark doesn't fit TOS, and things in the new film should be kept that way, which I believe they will be.

But for TV he's great. And BSG has plenty of action, battles in space alongside the human characters drama and the overall story. He still has hope and optimism in there, as well, but the show does deal with the handful of survivors of an entire race, being pursued by their enemy - it's not going to be laugh-a-minute!

I'd still be interested in any ideas he has for a new Trek series over most other past writers for Trek.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've always liked Ron Moore's work on Star Trek, and his retake of Battlestar Galactica is awesome.

The thing I like about the new Galactica is that sometimes I forget I am watching a science fiction show. It's more like a "drama set in space" as opposed to a flat out sci-fi show.

The new Galactica has long gaps between the action, but when the action happens, it makes you jump out of your seat. And the emotional moments are very hard hitting.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I agree with him that it's a great time to be a fan. I haven't been this excited for a Trek movie since First Contact.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Lieutenant

I, too, liked what Moore did for TNG & DS9. As I recall, he was a freelance writer & Star Trek fan who managed to sell a spec script for TNG, then worked his way up to writer-producer. His talent for storytelling landed him a career and it's evident in most of the episodes he wrote for those series. For one reason or another, I haven't seen the new BSG, but I hear nothing but good about it. This doesn't surprise me much, as I have considered Moore a great TV writer & producer from day one. I'm not sure he would bring the same dark vision to a new Star Trek series that he did to BSG.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Dark Trek is fine as long as it is done for contrast reasons like in FC. Or when it is terrific writing like "In the Pale Moonlight". But on a frequent basis, no way.
So my opinion about Moore boils down to: great writer, but please no showrunner (which is highly unlikely) for a potential new Trek series in the next decade (also unlikely).
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Rear Admiral

Showrunner? I think is out of the question, however as a guest writter which has been know to happen, would be great.