The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Moore: it's time to reinvent the original
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Lieutenant

Yes, it's true Star Trek does delve into this point in a single episode. The fear many of us are vocalizing is that Moore would make Star Trek into that all the time. Exploration not for the value of exploring, but of setting up military outposts and the like.

Basically, I fear a Ron Moore version of TOS would be "The Voyage of Hernando Cortez in Space."
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant

Lol, i see fear in everyone's eyes I really enjoy Moore's work. But it does not mean that he knows only cynicism. I personally feel man can not change his nature, he can try but most will fail in some way or another....... But hey, thats my view
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Rear Admiral

The premise of Trek is not that mankind was nearly wiped out by an alien race and has to seek refuge in the stars. It has aways been man kind exploring the heavens and finding our place in it.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Admiral

What I like about BSG is that the show is character driven. There's not an episode that you don't learn something new or further about the characters. TOS never had that. Enterprise nearly got there.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
What I like about BSG is that the show is character driven. There's not an episode that you don't learn something new or further about the characters. TOS never had that. Enterprise nearly got there.
I can see how that is so...Personally I have never really been a fan of the new BSG. The original is still my favorite on that one. Especially the characters. I miss the old devil may care, swashbuckling Starbuck. The tourtured your lady in the new series depresses me.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Which may be one of the reasons why I like Star Trek: Reborn, in spite of the fact that it is a much darker, gritter future than the Star Trek series and movies.

But be that as it may, there are times I do want just a good old romp of an adventure. I want to beam down to the planet, lose a couple of red shirts, get into a couple of fist fights, kiss the pretty girl, beat the villian/problem and have a laugh on the bridge at the end, usually at Spock's expense.

I think any actual, future re-imagining of TOS as a viable series is going to have to straddle the line a bit. They're going to still have to show the highly polished, optimistic future, but also show that there are still tarnishes here and there. And for gods sake, bring back credits. I know saying "we don't use money" was a great way of showing that greed was gone in the future, but it is possible to use money and not be greedy!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I can see how that is so...Personally I have never really been a fan of the new BSG. The original is still my favorite on that one. Especially the characters. I miss the old devil may care, swashbuckling Starbuck. The tourtured your lady in the new series depresses me.

The entire series depressed me; I could never get into such a bleak, hopeless
series. Moore's BSG lacked the hope that was present in the original series. That's where he lost me.

Star Trek just wouldn't be Star Trek without that hope of a better future and, as good as Moore was with DS9, I just don't think he could do TOS justice with his vision of the future.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
The original series was great, but the new BSG characters have more depth and that gets you more involved and that works for me.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
The original series was great, but the new BSG characters have more depth and that gets you more involved and that works for me.
I guess it just boils down to personal taste. I like being able to lose myself into "high drama" and "gratuidous adventure" Things are fine for me if the Enterprise and her crew get out of a jam. Or if the Colonial Vipers wipe out a mega ton of Cylon Raider ships. If I want depth in drama I will walk into my boss's office and have him berate me for a hour.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

That was fascinating out look on life.