The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Phase II (New Voyages): BAF released
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant

Blood and Fire Part 1 right off the Phase II web site. Part 1 ends when the Enterprise finds the Copernicus.

There was no scene with Kirk hearing about Peter getting married. Nor was there a suicide by phaser. Or any of the other parts.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Part 1 ends when the blood worms are breaking through the sealed door on the Copernicus.
The Peter-James scene is right before they beam over to the ship.
The suicide is on the Copernicus bridge....
Perhaps you've only seen a part of part 1? It is 43:50 long.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Essex,

No, you're right. I was just hallucinating the OTHER 3 ACTS of the story... (try going back to the site and looking for three other chapters...)

The site that the OP linked us to has the episode split into a teaser, Act1, Act2, Act3 and Act4. Each is a seperate streaming download. Before claiming I don't know what I'm talking about, consider the fact that everyone else on this thread DOES. So, who's really the wrong one here?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant

I never said anyone was wrong. I asked what episode they were watching.

On the Phase 2 website, Blood and Fire are split into sections.

The Teaser and Act 1 are available for viewing. Acts 2,3, and 4 plus the End Credits are currently not valid links.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Why don't you just try the link I've given you all?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Then try http://www.startrekphase2.de/files/s...1.pal.divx.zip from a German site, but don't worry, it's without subtitles.
The entire part I with no division into acts.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

The acting seems to have slipped a little in this one...?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

On another thread, the "Been a Fan Since the Beginning" one, a poster said that the crew's quarters scene was "too graphic" for him. I'd be interested in what others think.

For my own part, the only complaint I had with it (as stated previously) was that it seemed to be dragging on the pacing. It could have been broken up slightly with some cross cutting with the approach to the binary pair. Frankly, I don't see fully clothed "spooning" or looking into each others eyes as being "too graphic"... it's what Capt. Kirk and "space babe of the week" have been doing since the show first hit the airwaves. But I guess the idea of two guys being emotionally attached to each other is still too much for some folks... (guys mostly, I imagine)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Captain

Awesome episode. I love the little touches like the accoutraments in the conference room and the short-sleeve shirt on Cawley. I'm not a fan of the phaser rifle- they used the same one in Starship Farragut. Peter Kirk's immitation of Shatner was priceless. The Peter Kirk quarters scene didn't bother me- I agree a little drawn out (you're right Fan, in general the pacing could improve) but I think it was tastefully done. If anything was dramatic it was the crewman getting slowly eaten by the blood worms- but that was cool, in addition to the suicide by phaser. I also loved McCoy's line about not putting bullseyes on the Redshirts anymore.

It all shows that TOS Trek can work today... OK, in the right medium.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
On another thread, the "Been a Fan Since the Beginning" one, a poster said that the crew's quarters scene was "too graphic" for him. I'd be interested in what others think.

For my own part, the only complaint I had with it (as stated previously) was that it seemed to be dragging on the pacing. It could have been broken up slightly with some cross cutting with the approach to the binary pair. Frankly, I don't see fully clothed "spooning" or looking into each others eyes as being "too graphic"... it's what Capt. Kirk and "space babe of the week" have been doing since the show first hit the airwaves. But I guess the idea of two guys being emotionally attached to each other is still too much for some folks... (guys mostly, I imagine)
I completely agree on the pacing. I was on fast-forward pretty often. But from what I have seen the szene wasnt to graphic at all, not by our nowadays standards. It was a very tiny little to graphic to fit the TOS mood though. Now, I know, I know, what a silly argument. TOS would never ever had a gay szene anyway. What I mean is: Compare szenes with Shatner and his girls. They where never ever lying in bed together. You know, just felt a little out of place. And because I know Cawley and Co. want the show to feel as much TOS as possible this was the only thing I realized as slightly out of place. But overall: Well done, indeed.

For me too the slow pacing is my only real problem with the episode.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Lieutenant

While New Voyages/Phase II are committed to doing Star Trek as if it was season 4 (and hopefully 5) of TOS, they also have made plenty of acknowledgements that they are working within the context of the 21st century. The scene with Peter Kirk and Freeman is an example of this. The fact they are using CGI vs models is another.

Starting with Enemy: Starfleet, with the actual inclusion of the Phase II half refit, I'm sure we'll see even more deviations from what we thought of as TOS. Cawley's a purist, god bless him, but the further away from TOS he gets, the less likely he's going to get in anymore hot water with CBS/Paramount.