The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > James Cawley the new movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Commander

I think having Cawley in the movie gives more credit to the MOVIE, because Cawley is known as being a purist, and he approves of what Abrams is doing.

I can't criticize the negatives of New Voyages, because they are ameaturs spending their own time, money and resources into this. Obviously, Koenig, Whitney, Takei, Luna, Crosby, Winston and others believe in New Voyages. Can I call it canon? No. Can I praise it? Yes. In fact, some of their special effects outdo the new Remastering project. But I can't cricize it for it's shortfalls. It would be like crticizing the play of a 7th grade girls basketball B-team. (I'm not saying New Voyages is like that at all. I'm saying that's what the critical spirit that is given to New Voyages is like).
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Ensign

James Cawley is a terrible terrible actor. It amazes me that people give him so much praise. Sure I get it he's a fan who spent a lot of money to make those sets and got some of the TOS actors to participate in his terrible films. That to me does not mean he should be praised. I am still amazed that TOS actors even participated in those things. The new voyages are god awful.

The only credit I will give to them is the production values for what they have to work with are top notch. The directing and acting though is just a travesty. I feel embarrassed whenever I've tried to even watch one of those episodes.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalsuns View Post
James Cawley is a terrible terrible actor. It amazes me that people give him so much praise. Sure I get it he's a fan who spent a lot of money to make those sets and got some of the TOS actors to participate in his terrible films. That to me does not mean he should be praised. I am still amazed that TOS actors even participated in those things. The new voyages are god awful.

The only credit I will give to them is the production values for what they have to work with are top notch. The directing and acting though is just a travesty. I feel embarrassed whenever I've tried to even watch one of those episodes.

However it has become something of a little phenomenon. I just feel like it could be something high quality but some changes need to be made & it will probably have to start with Cawley letting go.
I read something on their site talking about Phase 2. I think that should be where they should go. When they have everything in place to make episodes that are high quality on a regular basis, they should recast some of the characters & make the show that never was.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
I think having Cawley in the movie gives more credit to the MOVIE, because Cawley is known as being a purist, and he approves of what Abrams is doing.
Look, I'm certainly not suggesting that Cawley is lying; he very well may have liked what he saw, but does anyone really think that he's going to take a part in this movie and then get online and trash it? There ain't no way he's burning that bridge. J.J. & Co. are likely the new stewards of the Star Trek franchise and I'm sure Cawley would very much like to continue his association with them. Who wouldn't?

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 02-08-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalsuns View Post

opalsuns,

I have no problem with what you said. Like everyone else, you are certainly entitled to express your opinion. I am curious, though, as to which episodes you've watched and/or haven't watched. If you have watched them all, regardless of what you might think of James' acting ability, would you say he has shown improvement from one episode to the next? If you haven't watched them all, then obviously you can't answer that. I'll let you know why I'm asking after you respond.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Midshipman

New Voyages is in my opinion amazing. Think about it

If the actors didn't really want to do it, they would have said no. regardless of there situation.

look at George Takei, he is a main character on Heroes now. I'm sure he's not floating on the river of destitute.
Infact; Has anyone noticed just how many Star Trek characters are on Heroes now?

when it comes down to it NV have better plots then the original show. Not to mention better effects.

I will admit to dropping a few tears at the end of "World".

pesonally, I hope they take this series all the way until the time of The Motion picture.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Ensign

I watched the video on TrekMovie where James Crawley shared his expearience at paramount with us, he seemed very confident that STXI is looking good. Since his reputation states he is sceptical of change I do believe his opinion to a certain extent. But what i've learned is that what looks good on set may not be so great on camera, so even know he gave XI praise i'm still no entirely sold that this movie will be a garunteed success but hell I wanna see this new movie!. Anyway I doubt Crawley would say anything negative either since kind old JJ gave James a small role in the movie and congratulations to him for that, I wish it had been me. James Crawley also say he say the performances of some of the cast including Kirk and Spock, he said their performances were great as the characters, for me that is some fantastic news he said about XI.

New Voyages for me.
The sets and visuals for STNV are very impressive. What isn't is some of the acting with the exception of Walter Koeng and George Takei in their appearences. Another down side is Spock looks a little like a woman. The stories are well written and the dialoge isn't bad. The new cast unfortantly take a bit away from the story and really need to add more feeling into their characters, they seem a little wooden. Only with practice that their performances will get better. Although I have noticed some improvements in the latest episode with acting. Sound is good for the most part but I feel they are missing some realistic ship ambient sounds here and there. If I was them I would re-cast their Spock, add some more ambient sound and make the episodes shorter because the cast really isn't quite ready for such long episodes by my opinion. I have a lot of respect for NV and I have enjoyed their episodes, the NV team is very brave to carry on from where the 60's left off and they have put a great deal of effort and love into the show. I salute them.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Ensign

I think it's great that JJ & Co. have watched STNV and invited Cawley to the set and for a part. Even some of the new STXI cast are familiar with it STNV. Of course it should not become canon, because it does not have the public awareness that the official Paramount/Trek productions have. Cawley has my respect and admiration for his tireless work on capturing the look and feel of our beloved TOS. Trek actors being criticized for their acting is nothing new. The STNV crew have far more supporters than detractors. Those who don't like them are certainly not forced to watch them. Each episode gets better and better, and I for one can't wait to see what's next. Keep up the good work and thank you.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

STNV rocks!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Do you guys know of a good place to check out the New Voyages episodes? I haven't seen any of them yet.