The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Shatnerverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
I'd rather hear the story of how Kirk and Spock met from the man who was Captain Kirk himself rather than from a guy who admits he was never much of a Star Trek fan and another who professes to be a Star Trek fan but thinks the way to update the Trek universe is to change everything.
Ehhh ... I don't know about that. The man who was Captain Kirk himself took Kirk in directions I don't think he should have gone in the series of books Shatner wrote after Kirk had died. It just wasn't the James T. Kirk we had grown to love, but instead some overly idealized version of him that acted almost completely out of character. It was hard to read and like Collision Course after having read those books, even though Collision Course was, on its own, not really all that bad. I do wish Diane Carey would write a Best Destiny II and talk about what happened after Kirk decided he was going to go to the 'Fleet and include how he met Spock.* I think she'd handle it better than either Abrams or Shatner (and that said, I'm really looking forward to the movie).

* I have not read her Starfleet Academy books, and she could very well have touched on it there, but I'd rather see it written in a Best Destiny type way.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Captain

Cool

I on the other hand am not sold on the movie still, I mean, did we need yet another time travel/alternate universe story to show us how Kirk and Spock may have met?

Why not just give us the "real" story?