The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wild speculation about the TOS E...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhamster View Post
Thats because you are comparing the secondary hull to the nacelle, the picture from the teaser is in between the two leads that stick out of the back of the nacelle (i dont know what their called)
I knew it...they were not the same area of the ship... the slant and angle was completely off and now the proportional relationship between the workers and the background makes sense.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhamster View Post
Thats because you are comparing the secondary hull to the nacelle, the picture from the teaser is in between the two leads that stick out of the back of the nacelle (i dont know what their called)
OK. I see what your getting at. That's the space between the fins on top of the nacelles. Thanks for clarifying that. I obviously mistook that for the top of the secondary hull!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
OK. I see what your getting at. That's the space between the fins on top of the nacelles. Thanks for clarifying that. I obviously mistook that for the top of the secondary hull!
That is what I was thinking it wa too at first...It was the welders and work men that got me thinking it was something else. Their size was to big for them to be working on that section.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default hmm

I just want to say that you don’t see enough of the enterprise in the teaser to make a definite distinction on something like difference of the nacelle pylons. The scaffolding looks the same, it is just a different angle, and the city skyline, again different angle. I have posted 2 photos up on flickr which show that it is the same scene. The teaser and trailer are of the same construction yard. The white cylindrical towers give that away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9770572...n/photostream/

Nice theory but as you said a bit of a stretch. Not trying to be cynical, if anything this just makes for more question and peaks my curiosity more and more. I thought I was at the peak of my anticipation but my god, everyday that goes by is harder and harder lol. I want to see this movie sooooo bad.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
We know that when the movie come out and 90% of the fans like it ...Zim will still blast it anyway...just so he feels that he is not wrong.
We don't know that 90% of the fans will like it. That's like me saying that I know that 90% of the fans won't like it. It m ay indeed be a good movie. And honestly, I may like it...from a non-trekkie standpoint. But as a fan of Star Trek, I probably won't care for the changes being made. And yes, I may blast away. Because I will be inevetably get the movie on DVD and disect every pixel to find everything that's wrong with it. That's what I do with all movies I watch. Drives my wife nuts. And yes, I will go see it on the big screen (if I can find somebody to watch the kids, that is) simply because it is Star Trek. And you never know, there may be explanations and reasoning for the continuity errors and revisions and that may be just fine. But I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Personally, I like the new Enterprise (exterior,bridge,etc.). Putting the original on the big screen would look so hokey and any chance at getting non-Trekkies to see the show in a believable light would be lost.
See the following: deg3D_NCC-1701_tiy_1956.jpg

Enterprise_5_hr.jpg

wip_005.jpg

wip_006.jpg

wip_002.jpg

Quote:
I really have to agree! It has to be updated in order to fit the times.
See above.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
We don't know that 90% of the fans will like it. That's like me saying that I know that 90% of the fans won't like it. It m ay indeed be a good movie. And honestly, I may like it...from a non-trekkie standpoint. But as a fan of Star Trek, I probably won't care for the changes being made. And yes, I may blast away. Because I will be inevetably get the movie on DVD and disect every pixel to find everything that's wrong with it. That's what I do with all movies I watch. Drives my wife nuts. And yes, I will go see it on the big screen (if I can find somebody to watch the kids, that is) simply because it is Star Trek. And you never know, there may be explanations and reasoning for the continuity errors and revisions and that may be just fine. But I doubt it.

See the following: Attachment 739

Why Disect it? Any story or myth under close scrutiny has errors in it. Yet it does not prevent said story or myth from being told and enjoyed enmass.

Attachment 740

Attachment 741

Attachment 742

Attachment 743

See above.
Nice are we playing which one does not belong with the others game?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Nice are we playing which one does not belong with the others game?
Yep. That's why I left the Abramsprise out.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Yep. That's why I left the Abramsprise out.
Now that is funny
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I hope they'll do a saucer separarion, the secondary hull + nacelles will be destroyed... and everything except the dish has to be rebuilt
Yes ; this will be a brilliant move! =)

-Manta-
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Commander

Sure, WTH. I’ll play along… once; in the spirit of a New Year.
This fits in with “Wild speculation on the New Enterprise” topic.

The main questions:
  1. Why “Old Spock”?
  2. Why an alternate time line?
  3. Why go back in time to mess with Kirk?
  4. So why the Kelvin and why is its destruction important?
Why “Old Spock”?
Obviously there is something motivating him personally.

Why an alternate time line?
Why indeed. Logic would dictate that whatever is to be accomplished in the past would affect Nero himself, possibly erasing his own existence if it was the same time line. So, an alternate time line is needed unless he’s completely suicidal.

Why go back in time to mess with Kirk?
Yeah, why? Everything shown so far and that can be logically determined points straight at messing with Spock, not Kirk. Old Spock, alternate timeline, Young Spock with lots of emotionalism, Vulcan.

So if messing with Spock might also erase Nero from existence, logic would say that the two are connected. Balance of Terror was cited as a reference point. I’m thinking that’s something of a small red herring and that Enterprise Incident is the real genesis. Is Nero Spock’s son from the Romulan Commander? There would be symmetry with the previous movies where Kirk had a son.

So what would be accomplished in the past that would dictate the appearance of “Old Spock”. If Spock accomplished the Romulan/Vulcan reunification then his lifelong mission is complete and he’s free to follow his mad son wherever he’s gone to stop him. Great. Fantastic. Whatever. It gets Old Spock there. If prevention of the reunification is the main point, then turning Spocko to the dark side by creating a racial hatred against Romulans (also symmetry with Kirk and the Klingons) by oh, say, destroying his home planet and all its people then that’s a good start against possible reunification. Problem is ol’ Nero gets Back to the Futurery if it’s the same time line… Spocko doesn’t have a go’round with the Romulan babe since events drastically change. Enter alternate time line.

Now TNG shows that after the TOS episodes, the Romulans pretty much stayed on the sidelines after the embarrassing spankings they got in TOS. Ok, fine. Whatever. So what would the destruction of Vulcan accomplish besides Darth Spock? War with the Romulans is a good guess and not the spankings that benched them. Nero with advanced technology could pretty much take over the Romulan Empire and equip its ships with some pretty nasty stuff.

(On topic part):

Does Old Spock counter this temporal interference in the same manner that Kirk did in Friday’s Child; by equalizing the technology and advancing the Federation’s starship program giving us a new Enterprise? (A nice solution to the problems presenting the future of Trek: updating, avoidance of the conflict of interests between Paramount and CBS over TOS, a new direction for Trek to go without hinderance of the "past" and blind adherence to it and an unknown future ahead of the crew ripe for new movies).

So why the Kelvin and why is its destruction important?
My guess is to show that the Romulans can defeat the Federation with new weapons as Nero's offensive begins. Oops! Kirk’s daddy is 1st officer on that ship. Not so good. Do we get Darth Kirk who now hates the Romulans instead of Klingons? Does Nero make a huge accidental blunder and screw up his plan?

Now since there really isn’t much info to go on, all I’ve done is present a scenario that fits with the known facts.

Stay tuned… in 5 months the real tale will be told.