The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What good are the shields? Really?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

If you count the shakes and the actual strikes the Enterprise takes at least 12 torpedo strikes.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Commander

Being able to survive 3 or 4 hits is surely better than not being able to survive any. Last centuries battleships and battlecruisers were armoured, and even though they were armoured (some of them very well indeed), they took hits and damage. Some of these heavily armoured ships were sunk by one or two torpedoes, some took anywhere from 20 to 50 bombs, some survived multiple high explosive shell, bomb and torpedo hits and were repaired and sent back into action. A few of them survived an incredible beating over the course of their careers. In the end, I guess it boils down to luck, where the ship got hit, and the skill and speed of the damage repair parties. Even unarmoured ships were saved after catastrophic damage by smart, savvy, speedy and well executed damage control, and prompt, timely repair. For instance, a certain warship could be hit in crew living spaces, storage spaces, galley's, wardrooms, paint lockers, brigs or on hardened armor and have damage that looks bad from the outside, but doesn't really decrease the unit's effectivness at all. But when a ship starts taking hits in engine and boiler rooms, or in steering gear, then it's speed and maneuverability suffer. And when a ship gets hits on it's weapons, then combat effectiveness takes a hit, if a ship like an old battleship, cruiser or destroyer takes a high explosive hit in a magazine or powder storage, and the ammunition explodes, that ship will likely be destroyed. That's why armor on those ships was placed directly over those sensitive areas, the turrets, magazines, engines, boilers and steering were protected far better than other areas of the ship. A starship, would of course be a horse of a different color, but I'm sure the basic reasoning I've presented would still apply.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Captain

You kiddies are so screwed by all the computer games you play

The Enterprise does not withstand ahundredthousand photontorpedo hits as my bloodelve on level 100 withstands tenthousand firespells?
Now you ask what shields are good for, if they only shield a portion of the destructive potential of an enemies weaponry?

Let me turn that around: What where phasers and photon torpedoes good for if every little electro magnetic forcefield could shield their potential? Mmmmhhh?!

I personally liked it a lot how the shields in The Undiscovered Country are not helping against geting damaged, but at least they seem to help a lot against geting blown out of this universe with the first shot. And I guess thats something.

PS: I read on Wikipedia that 1kg matter and 1kg antimatter would create an explosion with a diameter of several miles.
Think about it!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Vice Admiral

actually star fleet vessels have a pretty strong shielding and hull (see ablative armour) its the weapons that makes the difference,for example quantum torpedoes are ten times stronger than photon,now as for the trek 6 battle,dont forget that changs ship was experimental thus better weapons
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, Kronos One had no shields up when she got fired upon by Chang's BoP and when that BoP was destroyed by Kirk and Sulu, I guess Chang did not have shields up either or he just diverted little power to them because the cloak and weapons had priority.
If you can fly around with a cloaked ship and fire, you don't expect that anyone will detect you.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grup View Post
I just got done watching ST:TUC. And as with every ST movie before, and every movie after, all it takes is 3 maybe 4 hits and the shields are collapsing, the hull is breached, she starts listing or the bridge is a cascade of sparks and electrical mayhem. WT#?

Does this bother anyone else?

The Enterprise was not able to see were the bird of prey was so it could not take evasive action when the BOP fired the torpedoes and were able to hit the ship with extreme precision. Chang was probably given data on the Enterprise like its shields and weapons systems giving them the advantage. The parallel is the WWII submarines that were able to hit ships below the water line at stand off distance that practically doomed the ships USS Indianapolis.

Last edited by miles3347 : 12-14-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Watch Battlestar Galactica, real ships, no shields.
Those ships are no more real than any in Trek. The only "real" thing about them is that they don't have starbases to go to for repairs, nor replicators to replace damaged hull segments.

It could also be argued that unshielded Trek ships--with their duranium hulls--would fair just as well against the projectile weaponry used in new Battlestar Galactica, but that phasers and disruptors are powerful enough to rip through any unshielded hull very easily.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
The Enterprise was not able to see were the bird of prey was so it could not take evasive action when the BOP fired the torpedoes and were able to hit the ship with extreme precision. Chang was probably given data on the Enterprise like its shields and weapons systems giving them the advantage. The parallel is the WWII submarines that were able to hit ships below the water line at stand off distance that practically doomed the ships USS Indianapolis.
ST:TUC was just an example since I had just finished watching it. It seems (seems) that almost as soon as they're hit in any flick, the bridge explodes in a cascade of sparks and the crew tumble over themselves. They're in battle for just minutes before they're incapacitated in some form or another.

And there always seems to be a reason for this. For someone who is as accomplished as a Starfleet officer can be, he sure gets caught with his pants down a lot.