The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Enterprise does not have a "window" viewscreen.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Captain

Why have doors instead of a solid permanent bulkhead. At what point would an engineer say, "Okay, now this is where we put the senior command officers and department heads. Now Joe-Bob, your idea to have the bridge on the very top is good, that's real good, yes you can have a cookie... okay, so anyway, the problem is maybe the Romulans and Klingons won't guess we put them up there, okay? And we can't exactly be obvious about this, y'know, like put arrows on it, like 'Hey evil bad guys, good engineers down here at the bottom, naughty command type people way up here at the top, so like shoot up here please'... so what let's do is, let's have a big hole right here in the front and just put a window there. That way they can see them wandering around enjoying their fancy coffee and stuff while all us engineers will be safe waaaaay down in the secondary hull."
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

not to be facitous but that conversation might have actually happended much like that.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
if it had blast doors, why not use them in battle?
Because they need them open for script reasons?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by Aqua
if it had blast doors, why not use them in battle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Because they need them open for script reasons?
Because everything works the way it's supposed to work in relation to the story.

Didn't you people see Pleasantville?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

But take a look at the Enterprise at the very beginning of the Corbomite Maneuver as she tilts towards the camera top left of screen. There's an extreme close up showing what appears to be a window with closed bulkheads.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Lieutenant

The problem with that is visualization. Real life example, the XB-52...(the prototype for the B-52 Bomber) had a bubble canopy for it's pilot/co-pilot on the top of the familiar fuselage. The techmanual for TNG says the Enterprise-D made its maiden voyages with a "test-bridge module" that "could be easily jettisoned". The fact is there are a number of things about Star Trek we just don't know about.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Why have doors instead of a solid permanent bulkhead. At what point would an engineer say, "Okay, now this is where we put the senior command officers and department heads. Now Joe-Bob, your idea to have the bridge on the very top is good, that's real good, yes you can have a cookie... okay, so anyway, the problem is maybe the Romulans and Klingons won't guess we put them up there, okay? And we can't exactly be obvious about this, y'know, like put arrows on it, like 'Hey evil bad guys, good engineers down here at the bottom, naughty command type people way up here at the top, so like shoot up here please'... so what let's do is, let's have a big hole right here in the front and just put a window there. That way they can see them wandering around enjoying their fancy coffee and stuff while all us engineers will be safe waaaaay down in the secondary hull."
Yup, that's always been a rather awkward and obvious flaw of the design - your average Starfleet saucer section is basically a target, with the command crew right in the bullseye.
I guess it could be argued that it reflects the original purpose of the ships - exploration, not combat. But that doesn't gel with the strong military roots and purpose that Starfleet embodies as well...

Old 12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant

Reality...the whole purpose of having the bridge above the rest of the ship was to relate it to a "cockpit" of the then being designed aircraft and spacecraft.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Based on the photo with Spock standing in front of a window/display, it is obvious there will be some sort of HUD type windows. Ever wacth CSI:Miami? They use the transparent display in the lab. What about Stargate:Antlantis? Same thing. It seems the clear glass looking display is the new "in" design for Hollywood.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I always thought it was a dumb idea to put the command crew on deck one, wayyy at the top. You would think they would be deep inside the ship in order to survive in battle much longer.