The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Paramount Pictures' Star Trek to be Released as IMAX(R) Movie MAY 8, 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile IMAX vs HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
guys whats an imax? is it the equivelant of HDTV?
Comparing IMAX with PLANE film is like comparing HDTV with OLD black and white TV
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Vice Admiral

so whats an imax?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
so whats an imax?

most movie film is 35 MM IMAX film is 75 MM and the film reels are huge. only in the last few years have they have been able to move films like Batman, Star Trek to the IMAX format. Before that computers graphic processing was not powerful enough to allow 35 mm to IMAX transfer. In the past most IMAX films were documentary's. You can Google IMAX it will tell you what you need to now I cant really explain it properly.

Last edited by miles3347 : 12-14-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Vice Admiral

oh thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

You are welcome.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

@ jtrek79 that is why there is Wikipedia look it up, we Canadians invented IMAX and yes it is a larger screen with much greater resolution then the typical movie theatre.

I was so happy when I heard this, this movie will look INCREDIBLE in IMAX.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmok View Post
@ jtrek79 that is why there is Wikipedia look it up, we Canadians invented IMAX and yes it is a larger screen with much greater resolution then the typical movie theatre.

I was so happy when I heard this, this movie will look INCREDIBLE in IMAX.
GO CANADA!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
most movie film is 35 MM IMAX film is 75 MM and the film reels are huge. only in the last few years have they have been able to move films like Batman, Star Trek to the IMAX format. Before that computers graphic processing was not powerful enough to allow 35 mm to IMAX transfer. In the past most IMAX films were documentary's. You can Google IMAX it will tell you what you need to now I cant really explain it properly.
The actual film specs are one aspect of the significant difference of the experience.

Frankly, IMAX is awesome. I've been fortunate enough to see some truly great movies on IMAX specifically Transformers, V for Vendetta and 300. It costs a little more to go see it, but worth every extra penny. As said previously, its huge. The screen takes up the entire wall opposite of the seating. The movie detail is breathtaking. It changes the game. Seeing a movie in IMAX makes seeing a movie on a regular screen seem a little less satisfying. The sound is fantastic as well. Seats will feel some vibration, but the sound just envelops the entire theatre and it almost sounds like the actors are saying the lines right next to you.

I have never had a bad IMAX experience. I am so pumped that Star Trek is coming out in IMAX.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Worth noting, for those confused by the format, that none of TREK was *filmed* in IMAX (unlike THE DARK KNIGHT, for example) -- it is only being transferred and remastered to fit the IMAX format and resolution... but inevitably, that is an upscaling of the 35mm film to 70mm size. It should still look good, though.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Worth noting, for those confused by the format, that none of TREK was *filmed* in IMAX (unlike THE DARK KNIGHT, for example) -- it is only being transferred and remastered to fit the IMAX format and resolution... but inevitably, that is an upscaling of the 35mm film to 70mm size. It should still look good, though.

Did they actually use a 75mm IMAX camera to film parts of the Dark Knight or did they use digital cameras and transfer it to IMAX film for the theaters.