The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is the canon issue now over??????
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Isn't Trek decent science fiction? Like this concept is brand new to the Trek Universe...wait and see the movie before you call something S***ty...Okay?
All Trek is science fiction, but not all science fiction is Trek. Trek is in fact better than decent sci-fi. What I was alluding to is that the concept of doing what this movie is doing does not appeal to me as a good story for Star Trek. Just my opinion. And why are you so offended? Is your name listed in the credits? And if it is, I said I still plan to see the movie so you'll get whatever cut you're entitled to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
But isn't that the implied point? The TOS universe, films and all Trek so far still exists. It's not that it never happened. We would just be shifting into an alternate where things play out somewhat similarly, but also differently. It means they can start over with a new universe to explore without erasing the past one and saying it never happened.
Yes, yes, nothing before (or after for that matter) has to change. I get that. I'm just disappointed that this is what has to happen in order to keep Trek alive. I do not feel that the "prime timeline" has been so thoroughly milked dry that a new one has to be created in order to come up with another story. Frankly, I think it's a little corny. Just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Yes, yes, nothing before (or after for that matter) has to change. I get that. I'm just disappointed that this is what has to happen in order to keep Trek alive. I do not feel that the "prime timeline" has been so thoroughly milked dry that a new one has to be created in order to come up with another story. Frankly, I think it's a little corny. Just my opinion.
I understand that, I may not have initially chosen it myself but I think I can see what they are attempting. This does have the potential to satisfy existing fans and bring in new ones. Just like the brief they had.

For existing fans, TOS and the last 40 years still happened - it's not erased, it continues in unseen (so far) adventures. But old fans also get new life breathed into their favourites and can journey with them on new adventures.

For new fans, they are coming in on the ground level of a new universe. They can enjoy the simplicity of the new film, without the burden of having to understand the last 40 years or having to learn it. They can go off and discover it on their own, or they can just stay with the same new adventures that old fans can enjoy.

And if someday, Khan appears, then his original past doesn't need to be understood by new fans, but if it's done right, it can delight old fans at seeing him again. Same with an appearance from Gary Mitchell. This can be a franchise that saisfies two very different audiences without excluding either.

It could be something unlike what we've seen before, without losing the essence of Trek. As long as the stories are clever, well written and keep the balance.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Admiral

The stories will be nothing more than remakes...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
if Nero messes with the timeline, then how does Spock become aware that it has been messed with?
Maybe Guinan tells him.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tightpants View Post
Maybe Guinan tells him.
Haha... yeah, and he reacts like Picard did:

Guinan: "I dont know, but this timeline is wrong. I feel it. History has been altered and must be restored. This history is wrong because Tasha Yar is supposed to be dead. Now better send the Enterprise C into certain death to ensure Tasha Yar is dead too!"

Picard: "Sure, if thats what you feel. TASHA?! YOU ARE A SO DEAD!!!!!"

Thats whats so silly about this restoration of the timeline and history BS.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Commander

Back in 1964, Leonard Nimoy sold his soul to the Devil in order to get his studly Spock acting skills. Once the transaction was complete, Nimoy then gave the Devil a Vulcan nerve pinch and tool his soul back. The Devil, being one who appreciates irony, was able to laugh at himself and realized he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every Thursday.

Last edited by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie : 12-12-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Back in 1964, Leonard Nimoy sold his soul to the Devil in order to get his studly Spock acting skills. Once the transaction was complete, Nimoy then gave the Devil a Vulcan nerve pinch and tool his soul back. The Devil, being one who appreciates irony, was able to alugh at himself and realized he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every Thursday.
Nice story,
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Ensign

Just think of it as this, because of thie alternate time line, when they go back to fix it, it works/corrects/preserves and is part of the "prime" timeline.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
Just think of it as this, because of thie alternate time line, when they go back to fix it, it works/corrects/preserves and is part of the "prime" timeline.
That's like going next door and working on your neighbours car to fix your own!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
That's the way it used to work, but, not to be contentious, that flatly contradicts Orci's most recent statements.

If I were a Trekkie of the canon-centric variety, my preferred theory would be that circumventing causality paradoxes is a benefit of the particular technology that Nero is using to achieve the time travel, as may turn out to be the case. But I doubt it.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 12-12-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: OCD.