The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Tasha Yar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Why was Tasha "manly"? She had been raised on a harsh planet (per the series) so it's unlikely she would have developed Southern Manners...is a woman who wasn't raised in a cultured environment less of a woman?

She clearly had feminine instincts and needs. Why should she display them on duty?

You seem to be opposed to women being real people. You seem to have an ideal of them that is "pretty" and "warm"...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but women are just people. Their farts stink, they sweat when they work hard and that smells...and, you should never assume that drinking from their shoes will be a pleasant experience.

I guess a real person isn't that appealing.

Sorry.

Tasha was, if nothing else, quite real.
Good point, I always liked that not everyone aboard the D came from a nice corner of the Federation.
As we talk about typical gender-role-behaviour, typical for the last centuries and decades which is about to break up, it is only normal that people have an opinion about which aspects of typical masculine or feminine behaviour are good or bad, not at least because some people strive to become 'the best of borth worlds'.
Tasha or other female characters like Janeway definitely were the best of both worlds, now let's start a discussion about whether any male characters in Trek have picked out the best gender-role-typical female qualities.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Tasha is probably the biggest reason why I like the first season, despite all of it's weak episodes.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Captain

Son of a *****...I just found this thread.

I am not kidding...I just saw and deleted that episode from my DVR yesterday, before I read this post and could have looked for that Tasha sign off you're talking about.

I am a huge TNG fan, and did not know that...thanks for the heads up!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Commander

I didn't mind Tasha but like a lot of the characters in season 1 she suffered from lack of development. Her main episode I can remember was Code of Honour, which was a shocking episode and didn't do Tasha any good.

Yesterdays Enterprise was a good snapshot of how things could have been, and by the looks of it that would have been pretty decent.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Commander

Yeah, I wish Denise had stayed longer than the first season. I think it would have planed out into a substantial role.

Things being what they are, though, we may not have had as much development of Worf had that been true.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Yeah, I wish Denise had stayed longer than the first season. I think it would have planed out into a substantial role.

Things being what they are, though, we may not have had as much development of Worf had that been true.
Good point...and maybe we wouldn't have seen Geordi become chief engineer. I was always curious why TNG didn't have a main cast member as Chief Engineer for the first year...

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Good point...and maybe we wouldn't have seen Geordi become chief engineer. I was always curious why TNG didn't have a main cast member as Chief Engineer for the first year...
That was quite odd. Didn't they go through four engineers? I believe I read that on Memory Alpha.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Midshipman

I will look for that. I always found her... extremely stimulating
Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

maybe having her die like that set TNG apart from TOS. In which no main charators died. And probly why so many of us thought that Riker was going to leave the show latter on down the road.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
That was quite odd. Didn't they go through four engineers? I believe I read that on Memory Alpha.
Let's see - there was the woman (her name I forget), then Argyle and Lynch. All in season 1. Plus Geordi makes four indeed!

courtesy of Saquist