The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Cloacing device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Just read my answers, kicktrick...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québec View Post
Yes yes,
with the "engage warp 13"

hehe funny one, if you know that you can go faster than warp 9,9999999 right?
maybe im missing something...
It depends how you look at it. Using a standard warp drive you can't go faster than warp 9.9999999, etc. But there are several forms of transwarp that are faster, transwarp basically just being a term for anything that surpasses warp. Quantum slipstream drives, Transwarp conduits, you could look at them as surpassing warp 13. Maybe in the future they call it warp 13 even though it's not using warp at all, just a comparable number. Either that or they re-drew the whole warp scale again.

I've always thought that Quantum Slipstream is basically just an extension of warp drive though, travelling through a tunnel through layers of subspace rather than just extending a subspace field into subspace, if that makes sense. It's the next logical step in warp mechanics if you ask me. But I've gotten way off topic.

Cloaking devices! Yes, the reason the Federation doesn't have them is because of the treaty with the Romulans. Mr Roddenberry also said that he didn't think the 'good guys' should sneak around, but that's not really a technological explanation.

It might be worth noting there are different types of cloaking devices. The standard ones just bend light, more advanced designs actually move the ship out of phase with physical space, allowing them not only to go undetected, but to pass through solid matter too.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
And, if you remember in Season 7 of TNG, Rikers old Captain and Crew was part of an un-official mission to develop cloaking technology.

It was a good episode, until it resurfaced again as DVD type Extras as the final episode of Enterprise.
Ouch!! Thanks for bringing up bad memories. The Pegasus was OK but for the Blunder Twins to make it the basis for their "Valentine to the fans" brings up bile every time I think about it.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
It depends how you look at it. Using a standard warp drive you can't go faster than warp 9.9999999, etc. But there are several forms of transwarp that are faster, transwarp basically just being a term for anything that surpasses warp. Quantum slipstream drives, Transwarp conduits, you could look at them as surpassing warp 13. Maybe in the future they call it warp 13 even though it's not using warp at all, just a comparable number. Either that or they re-drew the whole warp scale again.

I've always thought that Quantum Slipstream is basically just an extension of warp drive though, travelling through a tunnel through layers of subspace rather than just extending a subspace field into subspace, if that makes sense. It's the next logical step in warp mechanics if you ask me. But I've gotten way off topic.
yes,
you are right thx!
thats why i love StarTrek, everything can be explain...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant

Treaty of Algeron, Federation agreed not to develop cloaking technology (mentioned above).

Defiant's cloak came with a Romulan officer (at first) to operate it. Part of the agreement was for it to only be used in the Gamma Quadrant against the Dominion threat, iirc...
Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québec View Post
Yes yes,
with the "engage warp 13"

hehe funny one, if you know that you can go faster than warp 9,9999999 right?
maybe im missing something...
I would like to point out that I believe that you are mistaken and confusing episodes. I think.

Anyway, to travel faster than 'infinite velocity' would be also be travelling backwards in time - would it not?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
I would like to point out that I believe that you are mistaken and confusing episodes. I think.

Anyway, to travel faster than 'infinite velocity' would be also be travelling backwards in time - would it not?
Ah, I think they came up with the warp 13 thing because the alternate future Enterprise D, which could travel at 'warp 13', had a cloaking devise. Presumably because the Romulan empire had fallen.

I think the most logical explanation in this case is what I said in the other thread; they once again adjusted the warp scale to include new numbers as warp drives got faster. So instead of saying "Ensign, set a course, warp 9.9999999999999999" they can just say "warp 13".

I mean, there's a lot of .999s between warp 9 and 'warp 10', which at the point of that Voyager episode was just a number slapped on infinite velocity, as the old warp scale didn't go that high.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

after twelve 9 after the decimal your speed is practically infinte...b
but I never heard that explanation...It makes sense.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Commander

Cloaking devices were later discovered to be deleterious to human health under long term exposure.