The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Revising the future
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
squire_of_gothos's Avatar
squire_of_gothos squire_of_gothos is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50
Smile Revising the future

OK, as I've posted several times I'm not a huge adherent to strict Trek canon. That being said however, like everyone else I have my favorite stories and characters and such that I would miss should the powers that be hit the big RESET button. My question is, if it was YOUR finger on the delete/reset button for the Trek franchise what TOS moment would you be more than anxious to remove?

I'll begin with an obvious choice. Star Trek V. Bleeep! Gone. Never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
wedestroymyths wedestroymyths is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Default

hands down--i'd somehow write TOS in such a way that it would eventually prevent "Nemesis"--an even more cringe worthy outing than The Final Frontier...thought not quite as mortifying as all of Enterprise...unfortunately, Enterprise is safe unless the reboot involves time travel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
starbase63's Avatar
starbase63 starbase63 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,727
Default

The only two things I'd change?

Eliminate "Spock's Brain" and change STV slightly so it turns out the story from when Uhura's shuttle lands on is discovered to just be a Jack Daniels-induced dream that Kirk has...
__________________
Never keep a Vulcan waiting...
Admin, sb63's Star Trek Logs, member of the Trek Webmaster Program
STL is now also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekLogs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_of_gothos View Post
I'll begin with an obvious choice. Star Trek V. Bleeep! Gone. Never happened.
Yes STV wasn't very good over all but it had its moments. The camping scene is one of my all time favorite Star Trek moments.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Spock2015's Avatar
Spock2015 Spock2015 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 46
Default

If i could press the reset button... I would have made those androids on planet mudd a bit more sophisticated so they didn't overload at the first sign of illogic... though i had to admit that epidode was hilarious.
__________________
"Because she feels... I don't... All I know is logic."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Rajiin's Avatar
Rajiin Rajiin is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
hands down--i'd somehow write TOS in such a way that it would eventually prevent "Nemesis"--
Booooooooooooo
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
adambelegohtar adambelegohtar is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 19
Default

I know it would remove one of the greatest Trek villans and for that matter, the best 3 Star Trek movies... with the obvious exception of First Contact, but I would remove the Eugenics Wars story line as we now know they never happened because we've supposedly lived through then, although, sorry all you Bush lovers out there, I wouldn't mind betting if Gene was still here he would see Bush and Chainy as Khan like creations
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Dom Dom is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 66
Default

Star Trek V can easily be taken as a dream. We open with the guys getting drunk and we finish with the guys getting drunk. They're singing 'life is but a dream,' so we can assume that it's a dream without wrecking 'canon,' as if that matters anyway! I never understand why people are so desperate to have one fixed rule book anyway. Discussing what things mean in episodes and movies is part of the fun of being a fan, surely!

While I don't disregard the existence of TNG and its successors - and I certainly don't want them deleted - I pretty much see them as a separate timeline from TOS.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
starbase63's Avatar
starbase63 starbase63 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambelegohtar View Post
I know it would remove one of the greatest Trek villans and for that matter, the best 3 Star Trek movies... with the obvious exception of First Contact, but I would remove the Eugenics Wars story line as we now know they never happened because we've supposedly lived through then, although, sorry all you Bush lovers out there, I wouldn't mind betting if Gene was still here he would see Bush and Chainy as Khan like creations
That's another thing that gets me...people that think the Eugenics Wars should be stricken from Trek history just because they didn't happen for real.

Hello, does Star Trek happen in our own "real" reality? No...

WE didn't have a Eugenics War in the 1990s...but THEY did. If you start tinkering with Trek history like that...do you really think we have any chance of attaining warp drive by 2063? Only 55 years from now?

Trek history need not relate directly to the real world...
__________________
Never keep a Vulcan waiting...
Admin, sb63's Star Trek Logs, member of the Trek Webmaster Program
STL is now also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekLogs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
starbase63's Avatar
starbase63 starbase63 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Star Trek V can easily be taken as a dream. We open with the guys getting drunk and we finish with the guys getting drunk. They're singing 'life is but a dream,' so we can assume that it's a dream without wrecking 'canon,' as if that matters anyway! I never understand why people are so desperate to have one fixed rule book anyway. Discussing what things mean in episodes and movies is part of the fun of being a fan, surely!

While I don't disregard the existence of TNG and its successors - and I certainly don't want them deleted - I pretty much see them as a separate timeline from TOS.
Why would you think TNG was a different timeline? They established pretty well that it's the same...
__________________
Never keep a Vulcan waiting...
Admin, sb63's Star Trek Logs, member of the Trek Webmaster Program
STL is now also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekLogs
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.