The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Revising the future
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Ensign

Smile Revising the future

OK, as I've posted several times I'm not a huge adherent to strict Trek canon. That being said however, like everyone else I have my favorite stories and characters and such that I would miss should the powers that be hit the big RESET button. My question is, if it was YOUR finger on the delete/reset button for the Trek franchise what TOS moment would you be more than anxious to remove?

I'll begin with an obvious choice. Star Trek V. Bleeep! Gone. Never happened.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Ensign

hands down--i'd somehow write TOS in such a way that it would eventually prevent "Nemesis"--an even more cringe worthy outing than The Final Frontier...thought not quite as mortifying as all of Enterprise...unfortunately, Enterprise is safe unless the reboot involves time travel.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Captain

The only two things I'd change?

Eliminate "Spock's Brain" and change STV slightly so it turns out the story from when Uhura's shuttle lands on is discovered to just be a Jack Daniels-induced dream that Kirk has...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_of_gothos View Post
I'll begin with an obvious choice. Star Trek V. Bleeep! Gone. Never happened.
Yes STV wasn't very good over all but it had its moments. The camping scene is one of my all time favorite Star Trek moments.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Ensign

If i could press the reset button... I would have made those androids on planet mudd a bit more sophisticated so they didn't overload at the first sign of illogic... though i had to admit that epidode was hilarious.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
hands down--i'd somehow write TOS in such a way that it would eventually prevent "Nemesis"--
Booooooooooooo
Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Ensign

I know it would remove one of the greatest Trek villans and for that matter, the best 3 Star Trek movies... with the obvious exception of First Contact, but I would remove the Eugenics Wars story line as we now know they never happened because we've supposedly lived through then, although, sorry all you Bush lovers out there, I wouldn't mind betting if Gene was still here he would see Bush and Chainy as Khan like creations
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Ensign

Star Trek V can easily be taken as a dream. We open with the guys getting drunk and we finish with the guys getting drunk. They're singing 'life is but a dream,' so we can assume that it's a dream without wrecking 'canon,' as if that matters anyway! I never understand why people are so desperate to have one fixed rule book anyway. Discussing what things mean in episodes and movies is part of the fun of being a fan, surely!

While I don't disregard the existence of TNG and its successors - and I certainly don't want them deleted - I pretty much see them as a separate timeline from TOS.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambelegohtar View Post
I know it would remove one of the greatest Trek villans and for that matter, the best 3 Star Trek movies... with the obvious exception of First Contact, but I would remove the Eugenics Wars story line as we now know they never happened because we've supposedly lived through then, although, sorry all you Bush lovers out there, I wouldn't mind betting if Gene was still here he would see Bush and Chainy as Khan like creations
That's another thing that gets me...people that think the Eugenics Wars should be stricken from Trek history just because they didn't happen for real.

Hello, does Star Trek happen in our own "real" reality? No...

WE didn't have a Eugenics War in the 1990s...but THEY did. If you start tinkering with Trek history like that...do you really think we have any chance of attaining warp drive by 2063? Only 55 years from now?

Trek history need not relate directly to the real world...
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Star Trek V can easily be taken as a dream. We open with the guys getting drunk and we finish with the guys getting drunk. They're singing 'life is but a dream,' so we can assume that it's a dream without wrecking 'canon,' as if that matters anyway! I never understand why people are so desperate to have one fixed rule book anyway. Discussing what things mean in episodes and movies is part of the fun of being a fan, surely!

While I don't disregard the existence of TNG and its successors - and I certainly don't want them deleted - I pretty much see them as a separate timeline from TOS.
Why would you think TNG was a different timeline? They established pretty well that it's the same...