The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek:TOS era film direct to DVD - Any Thoughts?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant

Default Star Trek:TOS era film direct to DVD - Any Thoughts?

There is always the chance of Paramount dabbling in DVD movies, something that is becoming popular with other franchises (Stargate comes to mind), but has yet to be done with Star Trek. Keep in mind that such a thing would have a significantly lower budget and would probably only happen if this film is successful.

What would you like to see done in the Star: Trek TOS era?

What are your thoughts on an animated DVD Film or Series?

I wouldn't mind seeing something that takes place on Vulcan with all Vulcan characters. Something at starfleet academy that doesn't involve a starship. Maybe a back story on a character like Chekov, Sulu or Uhura. Or, the story of a "red shirt" character who dies in the film. It also might be interesting to have a movie that takes place between Star Trek:XI and Star Trek:XII (SW:Clone Wars comes to mind).

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842

Last edited by Sybock : 12-09-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Please God, do not let this happen....
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant

Great idea but not the animation part... I HATE when they try to bring life to a show with animated crap!!!! Yes I know there's TAS, it's also not great... lol

So I'm really only for a direct to DVD market for Star Trek: Enterprise / or a Captain Riker thing... or Enterprise E thing... or something entirely new years after the TNG era.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Lieutenant

Please God, do not let this happen....

Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

They already have a line of comic books that take place after "Reunification" and before "Star Trek XI". It's not too much to expect them to step into another medium like a couple animated shorts, or a videogame that has Pike as the main character and tells some story that takes place after "The Cage" and before Star Trek XI.

You can say "please god don't let this happen..." all you want, but it's already started with the comics coming out in January. Sorry, God's ears are deaf right now.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Lieutenant

"Please God do not let this happen..." doesn't explain why. It could mean (In a nutshell) that less is more. I'd like to hear why you would not want something like that produced, live action or animated.

I read a article of an interview with Levar Burton where he is hopeful that the success of the new film might stir up interest in a ST:TNG feature since he and most of the cast felt that ST:Nemesis was not a great send off for those characters. He also went on to say that Brent feels he is too old to play the ageless Data or B-4 again and Patrick Stewart isn't interested either.

I feel that if Paramount did do a direct to DVD feature it would be with cast members who are willing, from the ST:TNG era. So there may be a story theat has cast members from ST:Voyager, ST:TNG of ST : DS9. Or maybe a stand alone story with characters from ST:Enterprise ..... Remember that the last episode took place 6 years after the second to last episode so they could fill in the gap between that time with more stories. I could see that whole cast coming back to have a better send off as well.

The reason I would like it to be in ST:TOS era is I feel there would be far more interesting stories to be told since the ST:TNG era was pretty much coverd throughly in those three shows. I also feel that, if the Film is a success, the new audience would feel the ST:TNG era is dated very much like some fans of those shows felt ST:TOS was dated.

So give me more details on your thoughts on why God should stop any direct to DVD film or mini-series. It might help to know what God your praying to.

Last edited by Sybock : 12-10-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Vice Admiral

I personally would not be against a direct to DVD movie, or even a TV miniseries. Based on TOS of course. With the lower budget, maybe they could actually use the real TOS Enterprise and scuttle the Abramsprise. Also they could use an updated version of the TOS bridge that looks more like it should look. I would very much like to see some of the early adventures of Captain April or Captain Pike. These two characters (I know, April is not "canon") have enormous story potential. And there is plenty of room between 2245 and 2264 (when Kirk took over the Enterprise) to tell great stories.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 12-10-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I personally would not be against a direct to DVD movie, or even a TV miniseries. Based on TOS of course. With the lower budget, maybe they could actually use the real TOS Enterprise and scuttle the Abramsprise. Also they could use an updated version of the TOS bridge that looks more like it should look. I would very much like to see some of the early adventures of Captain April or Captain Pike. These two characters (I know, April is not "canon") have enormous story potential. And there is plenty of room between 2245 and 2264 (when Kirk took over the Enterprise) to tell great stories.
Ah, but Captain April would become canon if done right! I like your thinking on using the "real" ST:TOS Enterprise ..... But would you want a different cast than the ST:XI film. I can't see any of those actors wanting to do TV or direct to video on a cheaper budget and different set. Who would you like to see cast as Kirk, Spock, Bones and crew if not the film's cast (Unknowns?).... not sure the "canon" fans would like that. But I agree that there is a lot of potental stories that would be great between 2245 & 2264. Maybe even finish off the last two of the five year mission of ST:TOS.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Rear Admiral

I think it's more likely that they would do a Direct-to-DVD movie featuring a small mixed cast from the 24th-Century. They'd probably would only do a 23rd-Century one if the new movie bombed and they needed to get their money's worth out of the new sets and costumes somehow...

Personally, I think the chances of Trek as DTD is slim myself. I feel it would only happen if the franchise was pretty much through as both a theatrical and TV property (like Babylon 5 and the original Stargate SG-1 series) and low-budget DTD was the only viable option left...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Vice Admiral

By the time this movie comes and goes, that may be the case. TOS, TNG, and ENT are pretty much played out. If there is a direct-t0-DVD or even a TV miniseries, my vote goes to a brand new cast/crew based on April or Pike. Something new for the Trek universe. If it could be done, the movie cast could come back as the TOS crew, but I woul rather see something new rather than a re-hash of TOS. Honsetly, a TOS prequel/reboot/re-imagining, or whatever JJ wants to call it, was not a good idea in the first place. Prequels rarely are.