The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Star Trek: Destiny--OMG! (HUGE SPOILERS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Actually, the most recent post-Destiny novels, Voyager: Full Circle and Next Generation: Losing The Peace disappointed me, or perhaps just didn't live up to my expectations.

SPOILERS BEGIN: Full Circle introduces a new female captain for the Voyager to lead a small fleet of slipstream drive-powered Federation ships back into the Delta Quadrant (yes, you heard right) to make sure the Borg are truly gone once and for all. It also reverses what I thought was a truly bold and gutsy move in A Singular Destiny for something I think is awfully lame.

Losing The Peace essentially tells what Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E were doing during the events of A Singular Destiny. It's light on action but it's a well character-driven book that further explores both the new and old characters and political fallout from the Borg devastation. My only disappointment is that it didn't pick up where A Singular Destiny left off...SPOILERS END
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Beetlescott's Avatar
Beetlescott Beetlescott is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's still assimilation by any other word. Not as violent or malevolent as how the Borg did it, but still they became part of the Caeliar Gestault and didn't have any choice in the matter.
I see what you're saying, but the Caeliar actually freed the drones from the bondage the borg had on them. When they were released, they didn't go back to their regular lives, but what they were at that moment, the moment of freedom, is what the Caeliar took with them so they could become like Erika had. I'm sure it must have been like heaven after what they had been through.
__________________
LET'S MAKE SURE HISTORY NEVER FORGETS THE NAME ENTERPRISE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
It's still assimilation by any other word. Not as violent or malevolent as how the Borg did it, but still they became part of the Caeliar Gestault and didn't have any choice in the matter.
I see what you're saying, but the Caeliar actually freed the drones from the bondage the borg had on them. When they were released, they didn't go back to their regular lives, but what they were at that moment, the moment of freedom, is what the Caeliar took with them so they could become like Erika had. I'm sure it must have been like heaven after what they had been through.
Perhaps not--Captain Hernandez and the few remaining survivors of Columbia felt like they were prisoners under the Caeliar's care, albeit their cage was a gilded one. Hernadez only survived because she was the only one who ultimately submitted to the Caeliar and accepted their way of life.

The Caeliar, although benevolent, are still the progenitors of the Borg and assimilation technology originated with them. They mostly dismantled the Borg Collective and absorbed all of its former drones because they felt responsible for unleashing them upon the Galaxy in the first place. Freeing them from the Collective was something of an extra bonus rather than an actual intent.

The Caeliar do hope, however, that the influx of all those liberated former Borg into their Gestault will also end many millennia of stagnation and prevent their own extinction. The Caeliar will also benefit by absorbing lots of new genetic material (or "biological distinctiveness" ) from all those former drones. What separates the Caeliar from the Borg is that the Caeliar don't wish to harm anyone and would prefer to be left alone to pursue their own quiet scientific and cultural endeavors.

But Starfleet Command isn't 100% sure that the Caeliar simply won't turn into something just as bad (if not worse) than the Borg and it's one of the reasons why the Voyager is leading a slipstream fleet back into the Delta Quadrant.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Buckman's Avatar
Buckman Buckman is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 182
Default

Major Trek character killed off
[/quote]
i was right they are not dead
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

I initially applauded the editors of Pocket Books for having the courage to do something so bold, but by reversing that decision a few months later in order for something so utterly lame and silly has caused me to lose total interest in reading any further VOY novels. I even threw away my copy of Full Circle in disgust after that.

VOY's continual use of the reset button continues in printed form, unfortunately...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Beetlescott's Avatar
Beetlescott Beetlescott is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I initially applauded the editors of Pocket Books for having the courage to do something so bold, but by reversing that decision a few months later in order for something so utterly lame and silly has caused me to lose total interest in reading any further VOY novels. I even threw away my copy of Full Circle in disgust after that.

VOY's continual use of the reset button continues in printed form, unfortunately...
Are you referring to B'lanna or Janeway in the "reset button" statement?
__________________
LET'S MAKE SURE HISTORY NEVER FORGETS THE NAME ENTERPRISE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Are you referring to B'lanna or Janeway in the "reset button" statement?
The former (sorry for the late reply). Janeway is still dead--or at least no longer on this plane of existence anymore.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
VOY's continual use of the reset button continues in printed form, unfortunately...
It's all they knew how to do on the show.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's all they knew how to do on the show.
I don't see the reset button as heavily in the Destiny trilogy. Perhaps it's because of the connection to ENT, which I enjoyed. I'm always game for Borg origin stories and it just so happened to have plenty of other interesting elements.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I don't see the reset button as heavily in the Destiny trilogy. Perhaps it's because of the connection to ENT, which I enjoyed. I'm always game for Borg origin stories and it just so happened to have plenty of other interesting elements.
But they did the same thing as has been done in Star Trek before - pretend to kill people off.

Honestly, one of these days a character will finally stay down!!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.