The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Canon Does Not Exsist
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Post Star Trek Canon Does Not Exsist

I must preface this thread with message telling all that read it, not to take this as a single person blasting everyone out of the water. First off that is not possible. Instead please take this new thread as a possibility for a new thought.

As I said in the title of this thread "Star Trek canon does not exsist." I have read various threads and heard many conflicting point of view to support this. I have noticed that when one person brings up a particular fact about Star Trek Canon...another person has a equally viable fact to dispute it 98% of the time. So that leads to one conclusion that Star Trek replete with inconsistancies.
Now we have a new film coming out. We will all go see it. In my opinion what ever that has happened in Star Trek is now to be set aside(not forgotten) to establish maybe a new canon this time without a conflicting history that all can enjoy anew for years to come. This is a reboot ...a new chance for more stories with legends that we love.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant

I'd like to know what is canon and what is not! The movies, TV shows, comic books, Video Games (With cast members or not) and novels .... where do you draw the line! Personally I agree with you that canon does not exist, at least for me. I'll take what I can get and fit it into what I already know of these characters and their history.

I totally respect those that follow canon except when they are fanatical and rude to others. Most of them can really explain their points without bashing others and that I find attractive.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I must preface this thread with message telling all that read it, not to take this as a single person blasting everyone out of the water. First off that is not possible. Instead please take this new thread as a possibility for a new thought.

As I said in the title of this thread "Star Trek canon does not exsist." I have read various threads and heard many conflicting point of view to support this. I have noticed that when one person brings up a particular fact about Star Trek Canon...another person has a equally viable fact to dispute it 98% of the time. So that leads to one conclusion that Star Trek replete with inconsistancies.
Now we have a new film coming out. We will all go see it. In my opinion what ever that has happened in Star Trek is now to be set aside(not forgotten) to establish maybe a new canon this time without a conflicting history that all can enjoy anew for years to come. This is a reboot ...a new chance for more stories with legends that we love.

Bravo...I completely concur.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post

BRAVO! WELL SAID! I feel that there are too many people coming up with this or that and everyone gets bent out of shape. I love Star Trek, not a day goes by that I don't think about it. I do have a life that has nothing to do with Star Trek, I will NOT allow all this trying to figure canon out, to affect my life. It doesn't matter. It is a wonderful escape for 2 hours, I love it.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I'd like to know what is canon and what is not! The movies, TV shows, comic books, Video Games (With cast members or not) and novels .... where do you draw the line! Personally I agree with you that canon does not exist, at least for me. I'll take what I can get and fit it into what I already know of these characters and their history.
Currently, as I understand it, Paramount holds everything that appeared on the big and small screen to be canon, excluding video games.

As it relates to canon, there are instances where minor -- genuinely trivial -- details have changed. But they did not then change after that. In the case of Kirk's middle initial, you can explain that by saying "Typo." With regard to Spock being called a "Vulcanian", that can be explained by a species being called one thing informally and one formally, then an order coming down that the informal name was not to be used again. Two examples of details that changed exactly once. By the way, I'm speaking of TOS and the related films, not of TNG and subsequent spinoffs. If anyone would care to show even one instance of a recurring detail changing within TOS more than once, I'd love to see it.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

[quote=The Saint;128949]Currently, as I understand it, Paramount holds everything that appeared on the big and small screen to be canon, excluding video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
As it relates to canon, there are instances where minor -- genuinely trivial -- details have changed.
Like Kirk driving, and where the ship was built, and age issues. Trivial!

The only thing I'll agree that is major is the Enterprise's new look. Is that it? That's why you refuse to see this movie?

Quote:
But they did not then change after that.
I'm still having trouble seeing your very picky rules about canon revisions that apparently Abrams must abide by in order for this movie to be worthy of your chrisening. Gene Roddenberry, simply put, had a habit of decanonizing things in Star Trek. That he was loose with canon, means canon didn't really follow some sort of official rule that all filmmakers must adhere to.

Quote:
In the case of Kirk's middle initial, you can explain that by saying "Typo."
And I can explain your explanation as "cop out". Which is the same thing people on your side of the fence are accusing Abrams' supporters of doing by explaining his "canon revisions".

And it's interesting, I just got done watching "Where No Man Has Gone Before", a typo is nothing that the evolved Mitchell character would have done. Oh, it may be a typo, but if it is, it was out of ST universe, off screen, done by the writers.

Quote:
With regard to Spock being called a "Vulcanian", that can be explained by a species being called one thing informally and one formally, then an order coming down that the informal name was not to be used again. Two examples of details that changed exactly once.

And if they changed more than once, aaaaah Jesus, there goes the galaxy. It's ruined! Ruined!

Quote:
By the way, I'm speaking of TOS and the related films, not of TNG and subsequent spinoffs. If anyone would care to show even one instance of a recurring detail changing within TOS more than once, I'd love to see it.
So by that logic, you don't even like TNG, right?

No, more like what you're saying is we can be apologetic about TOS' mistakes, but this is a new movie, and they have more money, and by god they better be 100% mistake free, right?

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 12-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Rear Admiral

Most people get canon and continuity mixed up anyway. For example, it's possible for several works that totally contradict one another continuity-wise to be considered canon by the original property holder. So, even if Star Trek XI completely rewrites TOS history, that doesn't mean that TOS is non-canon as far as Paramount is concerned...it's still there in its original and remastered forms, IMO.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Old 12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Lieutenant

As I said in another thread ... perhaps "canon" is that there is no canon.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
So by that logic, you don't even like TNG, right?
What does that even remotely have to do with what you quoted? O.o

Quote:
No, more like what you're saying is we can be apologetic about TOS' mistakes, but this is a new movie, and they have more money, and by god they better be 100% mistake free, right?
No, more like what I'm saying is exactly what I said. Put away the strawmen. If you can't counter my genuine position but instead have to rewrite it, the better part of valor on your part would be to not address it at all.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."