The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A question of time
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Midshipman

Default A question of time

In Star Trek III we hear that the Enterprise is 20 years old, this is 15 years after the events of Space Seed. Yet the time between the events on Thalos IV and the The Menagerie was 13 years. The Enterprise was at least 28 by The Search of Spock. This does not include Captain April's time as captain of the Enterprise.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Lieutenant

That's a canon question or a math proplem to be answered. I'm sure the answer you are looking for is out there, I don't have it. Someone must know the stardate that each captain was in command (From & To).

To twist someone elses melon even more I'll add another two question to yours. When and how long were the following Captains in command of the starship Enterprise?

Enterprise NX-01 - Captain Jonathan Archer
NCC-1701 - Captain April/Captain Pike/ Captain Kirk/Captain Decker/Captain Spock
NCC-1701-A - Captain James T Kirk
NCC-1701-B - Captain John Harriman
NCC-1701-C - Captain Rachel Garrett
NCC-1701-D - Captian Jean-Luc Picard
NCC-1701-E - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

To go even further - How old was each ship when it was either mothballed or destroyed?

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Captain

My idea is that 1701 was launched in 2245 and Morrow just hadn't done his homework. Possible also that he misread the background on the Enterprise and screwed up the commissioning date (2245) with the date of the refit that occurred between Pike and Kirk (which would have been about 2265, 20 years prior to TSFS.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's just an error, like Chekov and Khan in TWOK. One can either live with such a minor error which is entirely irrelevant for the movie, try to find an in-universe explanation or rip the movie apart because of this horrible canon violation.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Lieutenant

Always struck me that 20 years old was a much more reasonable figure for a ship ready to be binned than 40, unless the pace of technological advancement has slowed to a crawl. Certainly the Royal Navy operates ships for around 20 years before binning them (current Type 42 destroyers are an exception because of failed international collaboration to design replacements, and even then it would be around 30 years not 40).
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Rear Admiral

It's real easy to resolve that line if we go with the idea that Admiral Morrow was talking figuratively, not specifically. It may very well be that most starships back then were retired after 20 years of service, and the Enterprise was more of the exception than the rule.

Given what starships go through, it's really not that much of a stretch that they had short life-spans during the 23rd-Century and even shorter life-spans during the 22nd-Century...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Ensign

The Star Trek Chronology book gives these dates:

2245 - Capt. Robert April begins a five year mission of exploration
2250 - Enterprise returns and begins a refit
2251 - Capt. Christopher Pike sets out on the ship's second five year mission
2254 - Conflict on Rigel VII... 2 weeks later are the events depicted in "The Cage"
2256 - Enterprise returns after completing five year mission... goes through a refit
2257 - Capt. Christopher Pike sets out on the ship's third five year mission (his second)
2261 - Enterprise returns after completing five year mission... gets a major refit, crew compliment goes from 203 to 430
2264 - USS Enterprise, under command of James T. Kirk embarks on a historic five year mission of exploration
2265 - Where No Man Has Gone Before
2266- Events of the proper series start (I personally speculate a minor refit at a Starbase layover as McCoy replaces Piper as doctor, since there are differences in uniforms and bridge layout between WNMHGB and Corbomite Maneuver)
2269 - Kirk's first five year mission ends. Enterprise goes through a major refit
2271 - ST:TMP - Kirk demoted to captain and begins a new five year mission
2276 - Kirk's second five year mission ends

From there, the Enterprise becomes a training ship and the length of time of the missions aren't clearly defined

2285 - ST II, ST III
2286 - ST IV
2287 - ST V
2293 - ST VI

As far as TNG... I'm not going there... buy the book! It's a great resource! As far as Morrow's comment, he could have referred to the fact that Kirk started commanding the Enterprise 20 years ago... that would would make more sense looking at the dates involved

Last edited by delliott101 : 12-09-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Ensign

Well the thing is in TWOK we start talking about years passed between films as real years, as opposed to the timey-winmy squishy-wishy of time in TV series before that.

We don;t see seasons of TV be actual years of Real Time until the late 90's...babylon 5 being the first one I can think of, and they were hard core about it, updating the title sequence to say "This is the next year" and the last episode of just about every season being new year's eve.
"I AM JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK!"- STAR TREK XI
" I LOVE THIS SHIP!" Scotty- STAR TREK XI
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Midshipman

The reference to the Enterprise being 20 years old is due to the amount of time between The Cage to The Search for Spock about 20 in our time it was a reference to the amount of time Star Trek has been around.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
The Star Trek Chronology book gives these dates:

2245 - Capt. Robert April begins a five year mission of exploration
2250 - Enterprise returns and begins a refit
2251 - Capt. Christopher Pike sets out on the ship's second five year mission
2254 - Conflict on Rigel VII... 2 weeks later are the events depicted in "The Cage"
2256 - Enterprise returns after completing five year mission... goes through a refit
2257 - Capt. Christopher Pike sets out on the ship's third five year mission (his second)
2261 - Enterprise returns after completing five year mission... gets a major refit, crew compliment goes from 203 to 430
2264 - USS Enterprise, under command of James T. Kirk embarks on a historic five year mission of exploration
2265 - Where No Man Has Gone Before
2266- Events of the proper series start (I personally speculate a minor refit at a Starbase layover as McCoy replaces Piper as doctor, since there are differences in uniforms and bridge layout between WNMHGB and Corbomite Maneuver)
2269 - Kirk's first five year mission ends. Enterprise goes through a major refit
2271 - ST:TMP - Kirk demoted to captain and begins a new five year mission
2276 - Kirk's second five year mission ends

From there, the Enterprise becomes a training ship and the length of time of the missions aren't clearly defined

2285 - ST II, ST III
2286 - ST IV
2287 - ST V
2293 - ST VI

As far as TNG... I'm not going there... buy the book! It's a great resource! As far as Morrow's comment, he could have referred to the fact that Kirk started commanding the Enterprise 20 years ago... that would would make more sense looking at the dates involved
Now that's good information.