The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "I
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Midshipman

Default "I

If elder Spock knows that Kirk died on Viridian III then is it possible that Spock told Kirk that he would die alone?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant

Deep question! I'll probably be corrected but I think the answer is yes and no. Kirk died twice. As far as his crew and friends knew he died on the Enterprise saving people from the Nexis Ribbon, he was alone then while Scotty and Chekov were elsewhere on the ship. When he died on Viridian III Picard was with him so he was not alone. If Spock knew of both deaths I doubt he would tell Kirk .... "Jim, what to know how you died". Living as long as vulcans do he probably outlived everyone so could tell them all how they died. The cool thing is that youg spock will know that he has a long life ahead of him.

I had mentioned the "Die alone" line from ST:V on an older thread and someone pointed out that when Kirk said he always knew he would die alone .... it was a thought or feeling but not a prediction.

I'd like to think that a part of Kirk is still alive in the nexis, remember that Guinan was still there even though she was saved from the ribbon and was on Enterprise at the same time.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Ensign

Excellent theory never thought of it like that.

KIRK LIVES!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Commander

*I'd like to think that a part of Kirk is still alive in the nexis*
I believe there was a novel that dealt with that concept: The Star to Every Wandering by David R. George III.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Ensign

I dont mean to geek out here....

Picard and Kirk are STILL in the Nexus.

If it were so hard to get into , logically it would be equally as hard to get out of. The Nexus can't just "transport" someone away to wherever "they" want to go.

It seems that Picard's true fantasy was to first confront his demons with the Borg. Then try and obtain a family through a romance on a distressed world. And then save the Galaxy by attempting to unite the 3 major powers in his part of the galaxy.

And it seems as if Kirk just wanted to take the longest cat nap on record.

I just can't see this energy ribbon being able to send people back to wherever they want to go. I think what Guininn ment on "where would you go?" It doesnt seem to me that she ment leaving he Nexus but but goin to where Picard wants to go, without actually leaving.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Brando View Post
I dont mean to geek out here....

Picard and Kirk are STILL in the Nexus.

If it were so hard to get into , logically it would be equally as hard to get out of. The Nexus can't just "transport" someone away to wherever "they" want to go.

It seems that Picard's true fantasy was to first confront his demons with the Borg. Then try and obtain a family through a romance on a distressed world. And then save the Galaxy by attempting to unite the 3 major powers in his part of the galaxy.

And it seems as if Kirk just wanted to take the longest cat nap on record.

I just can't see this energy ribbon being able to send people back to wherever they want to go. I think what Guininn ment on "where would you go?" It doesnt seem to me that she ment leaving he Nexus but but goin to where Picard wants to go, without actually leaving.

If that's true then Star Trek was over and done after "Generations". Because the planet that the Enterprise saucer section crash landed on was destroyed minutes after it landed with no hope of any survivors, so Brent Spiner got his wish long before "Nemesis" was ever made, because not only he died, but every other crew member except Picard. The Nexus would be a one way trip, like the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. I don't like that idea at all. I think the Nexus sent Picard (and Kirk) exactly where Picard told it to, back to his own reality, onto the planet where the Nexus missile was launched, before it was launched. Picard knew before he left the Nexus, that the Nexus was un-reality. But Guinan said it could send them "wherever" and "whenever" they wanted to go. She didn't say it would be an unreal dreamscape like the one's he and Kirk were enjoying. Although I do believe that Picard, Like Guinan still has a connection to the Nexus that neither one of them choose to use. I believe that connection could take them back to the unreality of the Nexus any time they wished. They both know this, but like Q's tempting offers of immortality and omnipotence, they refuse them. Because life is the true adventure. Where there's no risk, no possibility of failure, loss or death, there's no meaning.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*I'd like to think that a part of Kirk is still alive in the nexis*
I believe there was a novel that dealt with that concept: The Star to Every Wandering by David R. George III.
Shatner also wrote a novel where Kirk is brought back to life by the Romulans and Borg to fight the federation. They dug him up at Veridian III to be their ultimate weapon! That novel was called The Return.

So if you count the novels as part of "Canon", Kirk dies three times? Or is there more?

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Commander

Kirk didn't die alone, though - he had Picard for company. And a big honking steel bridge.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Shatner also wrote a novel where Kirk is brought back to life by the Romulans and Borg to fight the federation. They dug him up at Veridian III to be their ultimate weapon! That novel was called The Return.

So if you count the novels as part of "Canon", Kirk dies three times? Or is there more?
Shatner was just jealous of Daniel Jackson.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Shatner was just jealous of Daniel Jackson.
How many times has Daniel died now?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"