The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > OMG! Canon alert everyone!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Lieutenant

Well, I think that as long as Star Trek uses steady, constant streams of energy for weapons rather than the little staccato bursts used in Star Wars, it'll be enough for me to tell the difference. I guess that's one of the reasons I never liked the Klingon bird-of-prey so much...Star Warsy weapons fire.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Lieutenant

Spot on Horatio, no wonder they call ST "Voyage to the bottom of the sea in Space" If you remember that old nice serial. More over its TNG that really added 3D warfare in trek with phaser strips all over the place in comparrison to TOS.

Anyway you can slow your trailer down to see the battle is pretty dynamic, so on the big screen it will be awesome!! Definitely will beat Nemesis and the lame E v/s Schimitarv/s Valdore.

And disturbingly the E in the new movie looks pathetic in slow mo, i kinda agree with the cannonites. This E is definitely not so beautiful though it had great potential. [ I refer to the scene where the E goes to warp from the station, the nacelles are terrible!!]
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The writers said they wanted to add the three-dimensional space feeling of SW to the more two-dimensional sub-marine like Trek space feeling. That sounds fine.
Of course if they also add the bad dialogue from SW, this would be bad. But there is nothing which indicates that they will copy SW's bad writing.

and I think that's a great idea.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Lieutenant

Yes some thing about those constant streams of phasers that make it look powerful and deadly, Star Warsy weapons looks powerless and inaccurate, i can understand BSG RDM it is the Retro realistic look [please m4's still exist when you have FTL?? Who are you kidding??] But for a technologically advanced galaxy spamming space to kill those pesky Rebels is disheartening
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Rear Admiral

Great, now we're complaining about how many time a ship can fire weapons...with analysis like that, I think some one need to go into micro biology or some thing usefull. Not wating time here disecting a film that every one is going to see.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Lieutenant

Well if JJ gives us the movie now like he promised i would not be wasting time here.............but since he has not done that i have to feed my hinger on this forum. Waiting for spoilers
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Ensign

I believe that the idea of mutiple targetting warheads was around in the days of TOS. Shame that the technical experts in those days did not get round to incorporating the idea into the series, or could it be that multiple phaser effects might have cost too much?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Great, now we're complaining about how many time a ship can fire weapons...with analysis like that, I think some one need to go into micro biology or some thing usefull. Not wating time here disecting a film that every one is going to see.
there's going to be no surprise left to the film by the time these guys are done.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Vice Admiral

i dont mind a touch of star wars in trek....for the spectacle