The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What If - Character Killed! Who get's your vote.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Killing old Spock! Never thought of that! Spock died once before but this could be Nemoy's "Swan Song", maybe dying to save his friends Kirk and Bones or saving Young Spock. dying in his arms and doing a mind meld giving him a lifetime of memories Like Sarek did with Picard.

Really, would the next movie need old Spock? I'd rather see Captain Pike crippled then see Spock die again.

Until I read this I thought it would be a good "What If", now I'm a little worried.
Yeah, but Nimoy has said that there's nothing in the script that prevents him from coming back for another one.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote from JJ:

"It was fun to use the Romulans the way we did. The fact that they hadn't seen them for so many years, that it so immediately breaks - for anyone who knows - the rules of Trek. We start the movie with Romulans crossing paths with Starfleet and jump right in breaking the rules, which I think is kind of fun."

So there. JJ went into this movie to break the rules. So it is not totally inconceivable that any character could get the axe before the end of the film. I'm betting on Pike. So what if that would erase "The Menagerie" from existense? Nobody seems to care anyway.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

As Orci and Kurtzman said that BoT was the most important TOS episode concerning this movie, I guess they will provide an explanation for why Romulans and Starfleet officers have eye-to-eye contact (Sulu and a Romulan fight in the trailer).
The most likely explanations so far seems to be that they either pose as Vulcans, pose as some other race (remember the chewed-off ear) or that the time-travel plot involves different timelines (unlikely IMO, because it would imply that everything that happens in this movie, how the characters meet each other, the beginning of their adventures, does not happen in the "normal" timeline).
Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As Orci and Kurtzman said that BoT was the most important TOS episode concerning this movie, I guess they will provide an explanation for why Romulans and Starfleet officers have eye-to-eye contact (Sulu and a Romulan fight in the trailer).
The most likely explanations so far seems to be that they either pose as Vulcans, pose as some other race (remember the chewed-off ear) or that the time-travel plot involves different timelines (unlikely IMO, because it would imply that everything that happens in this movie, how the characters meet each other, the beginning of their adventures, does not happen in the "normal" timeline).
It's got to be a different timeline. How else could the radically different look of the Enterprise and the bridge be explained for the existing TOS continuity?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't consider this "Yesterday's Enterprise" - like time travel story very likely. So I expect an explanation for the Romulans's contact with Starfleet but no explanation for the new design. You either accept it as it is or not.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Chekov!!!!!

doesn't anyone like chekov? for example the ceti eel, goverment agents in the voyage home, sybok!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't consider this "Yesterday's Enterprise" - like time travel story very likely. So I expect an explanation for the Romulans's contact with Starfleet but no explanation for the new design. You either accept it as it is or not.
Actually, in some early interviews, Kurtzman said that "Balance of Terror" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" were inspirations for the script. So there may just be a resetting of the timeline as in Yesterday's Enterprise at the end of the movie. Doubt it, but possible.

Quote from Memory Alpha:

"Co-writer Alex Kurtzman said the script draws inspiration from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and that it involves "an incredibly great bad guy." [82] He and Roberto Orci are even hoping to recapture the spirit of The Wrath of Khan for this particular film. [83] Carol Marcus was even included in early drafts, but she is not in the shooting script. [84] Other inspirations for the film include the novels "Prime Directive" and "Spock's World", [85] the TOS episode, "Balance of Terror", and the TNG episode, "Yesterday's Enterprise". [1] In addition, the writers have said repeatedly they want the film to appeal not just to Trek fans, but to new audiences as well. [86] [87] They especially decided to bring the feel of the original Star Wars trilogy into the movie, since Abrams has often said he's more a fan of Star Wars than Star Trek."
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
It's got to be a different timeline. How else could the radically different look of the Enterprise and the bridge be explained for the existing TOS continuity?
How do you have continuity when you start from the beginning? I don't think the movie is a flashback, it's starting fresh. Get over yourself.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

That is the only logical answer.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
How do you have continuity when you start from the beginning? I don't think the movie is a flashback, it's starting fresh. Get over yourself.
What if you are starting from the end? Old Spock coming from the 24th century... We're starting at the end.