The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What If - Character Killed! Who get's your vote.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
It's called "Spellcheck." Look into it.

re⋅nege /rɪˈnɪg, -ˈnɛg, -ˈnig/
verb, -neged, -neg⋅ing, noun –verb (used without object) 1.Cards. to play a card that is not of the suit led when one can follow suit; break a rule of play.2.to go back on one's word: He has reneged on his promise. –verb (used with object) 3.Archaic. to deny; disown; renounce.–noun 4.Cards. an act or instance of reneging.
Origin:
1540–50; earlier renegue < ML renegāre, equiv. to re- re- + negāre to deny (cf. negative )
Tomatoe, Tamato ...... Yes Renege is propear but a common mispelling of Renege is renig. Meens the sam thang unles your'e getin greded in englas clas!

So i says Kil Checov 4 seyin "Wessle"!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Captain

Just because misspelling or misuse of a word or phrase is common, it doesn't mean it's right or even acceptable. People who are nitpicking details of this new movie should be the most sensitive to common errors like that and should be the ones doing the correcting.

Really.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

I remember in Voyage Home...checkov fell...I remember how bad it felt.
Event he actor himself seemed so youthful. If he died...it always felt like a child dying.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant

My guess is... considering how much this movie seems sorta kinda to me to want to emulate the spirit of ST:2... they will kill off Spock... again... just to have impact of some sort and make an impression and sorta tie in with previous movie, though it will be the OLD version of Spock not the young one.

This will make final that idea that this, is the new, Trek... out with the old... in with the new!

Good idea I guess, and I'm sure old Spock will go out with a blaze of glory equal to no other and it will feel right.

Though on the mundane side they most likely will just kill Pike this time around instead of just having him get crippled and the info about a main character isn't talking about a main character of Trek but a main character of the movie... ?

Heck I dunno... I don't want any of them to die.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Commander

It's possible NONE of them Will die. After all the idea seems to be that we're supposed to think it CAN happen... Not that it's a sure thing.

Last edited by Yagami Crewman : 12-07-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
So, what if in this film they killed off a ST:TOS character. Who would you choose if you had to?

Captain Pike doesn't count since he wasn't a regular and they could very well kill him off in this film or the next to make room for Kirk to be Captain.

I'm asking which of the big seven: Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura & Chekov.

I'd say Chekov so his son could helm for Captain Kirk.
If any of them die then this truly is a different Trek. If Chekov dies then none of his adventures, none of his character continuity happened after this film. It'd be a huge mistake to do something like this IMO, because it'd end up either being a severe low point in the history of Trek someone sometime in the future will have to ignore if Trek is going to continue or it will be the end of Star Trek as we know it and there will be no continuity to the old Star Trek, cause if they kill one of the '7', then that's what we'll call it, the 'old Star Trek', until someone comes along that will revitalize the series and then this new movie would be seen as the low point of Star Trek, I think.

Changes with the world of Trek, how it looks, I don't mind that as much, but killing off any of TOS crew in this film will be pushing the envelope too far. It won't be Star Trek.

If anyone dies it'd be 'old' Spock, if anyone has to die, I'd vote him.

I used Battlestar Galactica as a comparison in another thread and with that, I didn't mind; one because I wasn't a huge fan of the original and the writing on the new BSG blows the original away by light years from what I've seen of the original. It truly is a different universe, a different Galactica. But the original Galactica didn't even last a full season. With Star Trek we have five series, three of which lasted seven years and each series, Enterprise being the stretch, maintained a continuity, you felt like it all happened in the same world. There's nothing like Star Trek so don't frak it up.

I think Botany's got it, showing how Pike was crippled would work, I'd go so far as to say you may even be able to kill him, though Menagerie would never happen, but kill any of the main crew, none of the movies happen the way they play out and none of TOS happens the way it plays out. Menagerie is just one episode, we're talking a tapestry of three seasons and seven movies (if you count TOS content in Generations) and if you start killing off the main cast that tapestry falls apart, you change the appearance of everything, some of the details about background, I can swallow that, but start knocking main characters off, I'm gonna choke!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
If anyone dies it'd be 'old' Spock, if anyone has to die, I'd vote him.
Killing old Spock! Never thought of that! Spock died once before but this could be Nemoy's "Swan Song", maybe dying to save his friends Kirk and Bones or saving Young Spock. dying in his arms and doing a mind meld giving him a lifetime of memories Like Sarek did with Picard.

Really, would the next movie need old Spock? I'd rather see Captain Pike crippled then see Spock die again.

Until I read this I thought it would be a good "What If", now I'm a little worried.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Just because misspelling or misuse of a word or phrase is common, it doesn't mean it's right or even acceptable. People who are nitpicking details of this new movie should be the most sensitive to common errors like that and should be the ones doing the correcting.

Really.
Well said, old chap! I admit to curiosity on the other, "street" definitions of renege....
Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
So, what if in this film they killed off a ST:TOS character. Who would you choose if you had to?

Captain Pike doesn't count since he wasn't a regular and they could very well kill him off in this film or the next to make room for Kirk to be Captain.

I'm asking which of the big seven: Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura & Chekov.

I'd say Chekov so his son could helm for Captain Kirk.
I am no "canonite" but this would be too much a change IMO.