The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Tricorder & other props question
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Captain

Except for Enterprise's phase pistols.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Here I am being nitpicky again. Pike's crew used "lasers", not phasers. Phasers didn't come into use until at least 2264 when Kirk took over the Enterprise.
Except for ENT's phase pistols.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The tricorders in the new movie should be like the ones in TOS.

Why?

Because I love the almost sexual way Jadzia was describing them in "Trials and Tribblelations"
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
The tricorders in the new movie should be like the ones in TOS.

Why?

Because I love the almost sexual way Jadzia was describing them in "Trials and Tribblelations"
Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Here I am being nitpicky again. Pike's crew used "lasers", not phasers. Phasers didn't come into use until at least 2264 when Kirk took over the Enterprise.
So they will be using Laser Pistols in this film and not Phasers? Which would you find more appropiate?

I like it when you are "nitpicky" adds spice to these threads.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thypentacle View Post
I've always had a great love for the TOS phaser with removable type 1... though not enough love to pay hundreds for one... like the master replica phaser... though it's not exactly the best one anyways as I don't think it has the overload light on it like it should.

The new movie phasers I read are said to be, "A cross between original Trek phaser and Motion Picture phaser." Someone who saw one, can't remember who, said that... I have no idea where I read it either.

I THINK, it's mostly black with silver highlights and a more narrow slim look, but that's a total guess based on things read by me.
The MR version ROCKS!! True, the nozzel light doesn't light when the phaser is set to overload- and to boot- there's no explosion either! That's where AA got it right. The most impressive thing about the MR is that it's so heavy you'd think it's real. The AA one disappointed me with its flimsy design.

Anyway, that quote about the movie weapons was interesting. I wonder if they meant TMP or TSFS as the "motion picture" becuase TSFS design resembled TOS much more than the earlier movies. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
So they will be using Laser Pistols in this film and not Phasers? Which would you find more appropiate?

I like it when you are "nitpicky" adds spice to these threads.
I agree that a prequel film should use lasers instead of phasers, but the way things are panning out, there has been no respect for such continuity. If Pike and Chekov are on the "maiden voyage" of the same "wessel" then I guess Pike can have a phaser if he wants (or if Orci/Kurtzman/Abrams want). Sorry if I sound bitter. I'll just keep playing with my TOS phaser in the corner here.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Surprising to those who think I'm anal about the Enterprise design, I actually have no concerns on the props and frankly expect a new look. Just as long as they don't call it a Quadcorder and Pine uses a communicator and isn't tweaking his nipple like Picard.
Oddly enough, yeah, same here. As long as the equipment isn't radically more powerful than it "will be later", I don't mind a few design tweaks. After all, look how dramatically the props changed moving forward from "The Cage" to the regular series run, from see-through communicators about the dimensions of a Motorola RAZR to those of a Nokia N90, high-powered weaponized lasers to phasers, etc. Even having them use phasers, while slightly off, can be explained by the idea that they were field-testing the new weapon and had to give them back and go back to using lasers after the events of the film until phasers were perfected and/or approved for fleet-wide regular deployment.

Now I wonder who'll jump on that explanation and say, "No, they always just had them!" which is what I'd expect of the average "scratch the surface" mentality of the average youngster with the attention span of a goldfish.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant

Post phaser talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
The MR version ROCKS!! True, the nozzel light doesn't light when the phaser is set to overload- and to boot- there's no explosion either! That's where AA got it right. The most impressive thing about the MR is that it's so heavy you'd think it's real. The AA one disappointed me with its flimsy design.

Anyway, that quote about the movie weapons was interesting. I wonder if they meant TMP or TSFS as the "motion picture" becuase TSFS design resembled TOS much more than the earlier movies. We'll have to wait and see.

I agree that a prequel film should use lasers instead of phasers, but the way things are panning out, there has been no respect for such continuity. If Pike and Chekov are on the "maiden voyage" of the same "wessel" then I guess Pike can have a phaser if he wants (or if Orci/Kurtzman/Abrams want). Sorry if I sound bitter. I'll just keep playing with my TOS phaser in the corner here.
Yeah I don't like the plastic feel of the other one... and I think they meant TMP in regards to the weapon comparing.

Also, when I said overload light I meant the little light in between the dial and the number display on the Type 1 part. It seems to be missing most of the time but a light was added there at some point on them, season 3 maybe? I dunno the history of them well enough. It may or may not be an overload light... also has been called a recharge light or battery low light.

See pics included in this reply... first pic shows the weapon on screen... the little light is hard to see but it's there... blue I think.

Second pic is a full shematic of the fully up to date version.

Another interesting note.. in regards to why The Cage has different style of laser/phaser... I read looong ago, and am struggling to remember it but I believe they were changed based on one comment by one of the high ups that was shown the Pilot... he said something like, "The guns don't look very futuristic and are too big." or something like that... Gene updated the weapon and also renamed them to take away all connection to tech of today... no more laser... now phaser.

Again, rumor only and long ago read by me.. I may be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on screen.jpg (41.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (25.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by thypentacle : 12-08-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added photos instead of links
Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Do a Google search for "weaponized laser" and tell me a handheld version with the capabilities of the ones in "The Cage" isn't futuristic enough.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Except for ENT's phase pistols.
ENT didn't give a fig for continuity. That's why we don't give a fig about ENT.