The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Are we so blind that we cannot see?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Lieutenant

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: Boldly going where no Trek has gone before...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Admiral

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: Boldly going where no director has taken us before...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: Boldly going where no director has taken us before...
That works too.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
That works too.
Agreed!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
Good Lord, I don't think I've ever seen a person's point be missed more cleanly by so many.

How would I describe Star Trek to a blind person:
Star Trek is larger than the design of the Enterprise, than the color of James T. Kirk's eyes, than whether Spock's mouth is correct or whether the actor playing him purses his lips a little too much, than whether they've got white bras in the 23rd century. It's more than "canon" and more than every little detail that some people love to pick apart and discuss until the rest of us are ready to cry from sheer boredom.

Star Trek is the hope that humanity will eventually become better than it is and will never stop trying to be better than it is; that we will learn from the mistakes of our bloody past; that humanity will evolve to a point where war and discrimination are no longer a function of our culture and are replaced with tolerance and acceptance -- not only for those who are different among us, but for those who are different the galaxy over. Star Trek shows that, in its quest to better itself, humanity will never stop reaching out to new life and new civilizations. We'll never stop trying to learn, never stop asking others to join us in our quest. It's the idea that, even though we've made it off the planet and into the cosmos that fascinated our ancestors, we'll never stop reaching for the next star, never stop wondering what's Out There ...

There's more, but I'm tired. That's how I'd describe Star Trek to a person who has never seen a nacelle strut or a Klingon.
While that was indeed mmoore's point, nobody missed his point. And the point is, his point's a False Dilemma.

Yes, it's 'more than'. But it's not 'separate from', which is the False Dilemma. The Concorde SST was about going really, really fast. So if I were to have bought a ticket for the Concorde and somebody showed up with a Dodge Viper and tried to convince me it was a Concorde -- "Well, hey, it goes really, really fast, and isn't that truly what the Concorde is about? Huh?" He could take that Viper straight to hell.

The spirit may be there in spades, but without the look, it's not what I'm paying for. Conversely, the look could be absolutely spot on, but if the spirit isn't there, I'm not paying for that, either. I have every right to expect both, and I have every right to say, "Nope. No sale." if both aren't there. After all, if they could give 100% in 1966 with a shoestring budget, they can sure as hell give 100% in 2009 with a budget in the millions.

No excuses.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Ensign

Looks to me like they gave 100% to produce STXI.

Of course, your idea of "100%" may be different from my idea of it.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
After all, if they could give 100% in 1966 with a shoestring budget, they can sure as hell give 100% in 2009 with a budget in the millions.
They are. That includes making the Enterprise NOT look like a cheaply-built model from the 1960's.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
They are. That includes making the Enterprise NOT look like a cheaply-built model from the 1960's.
Except the Enterprise does look like a rather expensively-built model from the 1960s. Old ain't always worse and new ain't always better -- try to keep that in mind, junior. :P
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Lieutenant

Whatever you say, "Pops."
Old 12-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
Good Lord, I don't think I've ever seen a person's point be missed more cleanly by so many.

How would I describe Star Trek to a blind person:
Star Trek is larger than the design of the Enterprise, than the color of James T. Kirk's eyes, than whether Spock's mouth is correct or whether the actor playing him purses his lips a little too much, than whether they've got white bras in the 23rd century. It's more than "canon" and more than every little detail that some people love to pick apart and discuss until the rest of us are ready to cry from sheer boredom.

Star Trek is the hope that humanity will eventually become better than it is and will never stop trying to be better than it is; that we will learn from the mistakes of our bloody past; that humanity will evolve to a point where war and discrimination are no longer a function of our culture and are replaced with tolerance and acceptance -- not only for those who are different among us, but for those who are different the galaxy over. Star Trek shows that, in its quest to better itself, humanity will never stop reaching out to new life and new civilizations. We'll never stop trying to learn, never stop asking others to join us in our quest. It's the idea that, even though we've made it off the planet and into the cosmos that fascinated our ancestors, we'll never stop reaching for the next star, never stop wondering what's Out There ...

There's more, but I'm tired. That's how I'd describe Star Trek to a person who has never seen a nacelle strut or a Klingon.
Very well put....and agree that most were missing the point. I always like to look for the message of an episode...wether it be TOS, ENT, TNG, etc....

So I suppose that is how I would explain it to a blind person. The message is what Trek is about, and every episode has their own.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.