The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ST:XI Shirts - A geek question.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant

Default ST:XI Shirts - A geek question.

Okay, this will sound geeky, but does anyone know if the new uniforms are available to buy yet? I'd love to surprise my friends with a red shirt to wear on opening day.

Also, Any other merchandise available yet like communicators or phasers? When do they come out?

Lastly, why don't they have a cel phone that looks like a ST communicator on the market? or do they?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Vice Admiral

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Dont Wear A Shirt On Opening Day. This Is What Doesn't Attract Young People. Youngers Will Think Its Still Wierd, So They Won't Go See It.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I wonder if J.J opted for a slice of the merchandising pie?

That would be a good indicator of his feeling about this movie.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Okay, this will sound geeky, but does anyone know if the new uniforms are available to buy yet? I'd love to surprise my friends with a red shirt to wear on opening day.
An original version red shirt should work just fine.

Quote:
Also, Any other merchandise available yet like communicators or phasers? When do they come out?
I'd guess a couple weeks to a couple months after the release of the film, so as not to spoil the movie's props.

Quote:
Lastly, why don't they have a cel phone that looks like a ST communicator on the market? or do they?
Motorola ZN4 Krave looks about as close as you're likely to see in a modern phone.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Dont Wear A Shirt On Opening Day. This Is What Doesn't Attract Young People. Youngers Will Think Its Still Wierd, So They Won't Go See It.
That's more or less a refrain I've been carrying since Day One. Star Trek is always going to carry that stigma anyway, cosplayers or not, though all the cosplay sure as hell helped to create the stigma in the first place.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
I live in a part of California where young people have seen weirder things. As a youngster I saw someone dressed as Conan in line for that movie and it made me want to see it more.

I'm also braver in my advanced years, I wished I had the courage in my youth to dress as a Jedi for Star Wars or some character in other movies I've seen. Audience participation is a draw for some, go to a Comic Con and see how many people get into it.

I didn't not see LOTR because there were hobbits in line even though I never read the books before seeing the films.

The last film I saw where people dressed up was the new Bond, I couldn't count the number of guys wearing Tux's. I saw "To Wong Foo" surrounded by men in Drag. Star Wars EP. 1 had a group of teenage girls that came together all dressed as Leia in the Ep. IV, white gown with the Buns hairdo. Indiana Jones IV had a bunch of grown men all wearing the Fedora. I can go on.

So I ask you ...... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE! Get a red, blue or yellow shirt and wear it proud if you are a fan. Any young person who finds that weird will probably go see it just to see why "Weird" people are dressing up.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Captain

Yeah, no.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The only thing that ever bothered me about people dressing up, was when I went to go see First Contact on opening night in 1996. Some guy dressed as a Klingon came at me with a bat'leth.

Turns out, I knew the guy, but still. I almost went into Marine mode because I was on a date at the time and it wouldn't be very impressive to get knocked on my butt by a guy with a rubber forehead.

I actually enjoy the different costumes. Probably the best costume I saw was a kid dressed up as a Jedi at the Episode III opening night. There was a guy there dressed as Darth Vader too, but let's just say he didn't have the proper physique for the costume and I wasn't very impressed.

Then there was the guy who walked up and down the line with a picket sign that had a picture of Jar Jar Binks on it. I can't remember exactly what he was saying, but he kept yelling out something like, "Jar Jar has feelings too! Stop the hate!"
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Lol!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Captain

I stopped playing Trekkie dress-up in 1975. I stopped hanging around with most of my Trekkie acquaintances when they didn't stop playing Trekkie dress-up in 1975.

When Star Wars came out it got even worse and I became rather adept at the facepalm, later made famous by none other than JLP.