The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Chekov Questions - Against canon?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

There are more than 300 other crewmwmbers that we never saw

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
It depends on how flexible you are with Chekov. I can certainly accept him being on the ship during the Khan incident and therefore covering the issue in TWOK with Khan recognizing him when he wasn't in the episode. But unless they manage to at least imply that Chekov is the brightest freshman cadet ever, I don't see how they're going to cover the fact that he's supposed to be a good 12 years younger than Kirk.
I can almost deal with Chekov being on the ship with the rest of the crew. But if he is supposed to be at least 12 yrs younger than Kirk, how come he is in a command gold uniform while Kirk is still in a black cadet shirt? And if you really want to get nitpicky, if this movie is supposed to be set between the events of "The Cage" and "WNMHGB", then Chekov, McCoy and Uhura shouldn't even be in it. In "The Cage", the only TOS main character present was Spock. And in "WNMHGB", the only TOS characters we saw were Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and Sulu. I know, one could argue that we didn't see these other characters because they were "just not on the bridge during the action". But in the case of McCoy, Pike's doctor was Boyce and in WNMHGB, Kirk's doctor was Piper. No McCoy in either of these episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Beside not having the Davey Jones Monkee Do (I like the curly hair better), does his character really belong in this movie seeing that he was not introduced in TOS until season 2?
Again, he could have been a crewman, midshipman, or ensign in season 1 and pretty much confined to the lower decks until season two when he was assigned to the bridge crew. But that sure doesn't explain how he outranks Kirk.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Captain

The problem with origin stories is if you tell every tiny detail about every secondary and tertiary character and how they got where they are, you have not only a very long movie but a very boring one.

Another thing: can you imagine the outcry if JJ didn't include McCoy and Uhura and Chekov in this movie? How many millions of people would be saying "Dr. Boyce? Where's McCoy?" "Who the hell is Piper?"

You can't have everything in two hours. Hell, you can't have everything period. You don't think you'll like it? Don't go. Leave the rest of us who want to see it alone.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Ahh...you didn't bite my bait about attractive people dying...

BTW, the actress appears in another film called Mega Force...the film is absolute crap, but you get to see Persis Khambatta with hair...long, beautiful hair.

Necrophilia is an unhealthy obsession, the woman has been dead for over ten years!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote from JJ:

"It was fun to use the Romulans the way we did. The fact that they hadn't seen them for so many years, that it so immediately breaks - for anyone who knows - the rules of Trek. We start the movie with Romulans crossing paths with Starfleet and jump right in breaking the rules, which I think is kind of fun."

So there it is. It is obvious that JJ never intended to follow the rules or continuity of Star Trek from the beginning. So they can tell whatever story they want. Chekov may be older than Kirk in this version of Star Trek. Who knows? And if he is 12 years younger than Kirk, as he should be, then he's probably a genius of Hawkinian proportions to actually outrank a cadet whose 12 yrs older than he is. Either way, this movie will not fit into established Star Trek history in any way shape or form. It is indeed a BSG-style rebbot of Star Trek and a completely different universe from anything that has come before.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant

How do you know that Chekov out ranks Kirk in this film? Have you seen it, or read the script? We already know it features both Kirk and Spock as children as well as as adults. Have you considered that Kirk is also seen as a young cadet, but in a time a few years before the main part of the film? Anything said beyond what has been shown in the trailer is pure speculation.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
How do you know that Chekov out ranks Kirk in this film? Have you seen it, or read the script? We already know it features both Kirk and Spock as children as well as as adults. Have you considered that Kirk is also seen as a young cadet, but in a time a few years before the main part of the film? Anything said beyond what has been shown in the trailer is pure speculation.
Chekov on the bridge in command gold. Kirk on the bridge at the same time in cadet black. It's in the trailer.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Chekov on the bridge in command gold. Kirk on the bridge at the same time in cadet black. It's in the trailer.
Perhaps Chekov gets demoted somewhere along the line? That plus Kirk being fast-tracked could explain it.