The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Robot Policeman?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Commander

Default Robot Policeman?

My old college roommate, A long time trek fan, just watched the new Trek trailer. He said absolutely nothing bothered him about it except the robot policeman chasing after Kirk. If Noonien Song is supposed to be the first to develop advanced cybernetic organisms and Data is supposed to be the only Android in the federation as per the 24th century then what the hell is this thing? It clearly has some modicum of artificial intelligence. Is it a precursor to the Soong type android? Is it an android at all? Is it even mechanical?

Theories?

My old roommate suggested that perhaps Harry Mudd had a hand in it's design.

-Free Enterprise
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
My old college roommate, A long time trek fan, just watched the new Trek trailer. He said absolutely nothing bothered him about it except the robot policeman chasing after Kirk. If Noonien Song is supposed to be the first to develop advanced cybernetic organisms and Data is supposed to be the only Android in the federation as per the 24th century then what the hell is this thing? It clearly has some modicum of artificial intelligence. Is it a precursor to the Soong type android? Is it an android at all? Is it even mechanical?

Theories?

It's just an ordinary Police officer in body armor. The only thing unusual about his gear is the helmet which probably has enhanced scanning gear built into it. Think of it as the Star Trek equivalent of Iron Man's helmet... but meant for widespread use.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
It's just an ordinary Police officer in body armor. The only thing unusual about his gear is the helmet which probably has enhanced scanning gear built into it. Think of it as the Star Trek equivalent of Iron Man's helmet... but meant for widespread use.
Yes. I agree. It's only a man.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post

Theories?

That may be a possibility...but here we go with the "consistancy issues" within the Star Trek Universe. (aren't you glad I didn't say canon?) First of all as you stated above, Noonien Soong is the only cybernetisist to come up with the first advanced cybernetic organism. Okay then how do you explain in the original series (I, Mudd) that Harry had all those mass produced androids that looked amazingly enough human? (Even more human looking than Data.) That would presuppose the notion of Soong being the first huh?

Secondly. The robot cop really does not compare technologically with the androids we see in I, Mudd or TNG's Data. So why can't it be a civil service drone to help police and monitor the public trust? Precursor of course.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
That may be a possibility...but here we go with the "consistancy issues" within the Star Trek Universe. (aren't you glad I didn't say canon?) First of all as you stated above, Noonien Soong is the only cybernetisist to come up with the first advanced cybernetic organism. Okay then how do you explain in the original series (I, Mudd) that Harry had all those mass produced androids that looked amazingly enough human? (Even more human looking than Data.) That would presuppose the notion of Soong being the first huh?

Secondly. The robot cop really does not compare technologically with the androids we see in I, Mudd or TNG's Data. So why can't it be a civil service drone to help police and monitor the public trust? Precursor of course.
Its not a robot.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Yes. I agree. It's only a man.
Concur

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Captain

I vote Cylon.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Bynar.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Negative.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Its not a robot.
Then that cop has a "flat face" instead of a "flat foot"