The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So who's gonna 'fess up???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think the majority will watch the movie and decide then. If someone can extrapolate the quality of the movie from the trailer and other tidbits of information and decide whether he will like it or not, that is fine, but most people don't have that gift and so have to judge the movie after they have seen it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

if the film blows goats then i will indeed put my hand up and say it does. I will wait until i see it to draw a conclusion though, as the sparse information we have on the film isnt enough for me to spit it out, and a couple of 'canon' issues(that are not issues to me)can weigh heavily on other people, not me..
Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Who is saying this? This is meant as flamebait and nothing else. Then again, these are the sort of overrexaggerations I'd expect from someone complaining about the new ship design.
Did you read the opening post of this thread? How is it any different other than assuming the opposite conclusion based on just as scant evidence? I've seen in a dozen posts where people who have problems with this film's departure from canon are the subject of statements like, "Aw, but you know they're gonna go and watch it and cream their jeans and just die from an overdose of raw blinding joy!" How is my counterassumption any more or less valid than that sentiment?

I'll watch the film if and when it comes to a venue where I'm spending less money on potential disappointment. Other than that, when I do see it, if it's a good film, I'll say so. I just wanted to know if the same holds true for those who are assuming it'll be good in the event that it's not. If those who have an issue with it are being expected to "fess up" if we're wrong -- the implication being that we're supposed to drag ourselves back here with big dopey sheepish grins and essentially admit, "Oh, gosh, guys, you were so right!" -- then it's only fair to ask if the same is true for those on the other side of the issue.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."

Last edited by The Saint : 12-05-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Ensign

Default Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
So now I pose the same question in the opposite direction:

For those of you convinced that Abram's is Star Trek's messiah -- if you go and you see it and it doesn't live up to the trailer -- if, in short, it sucks rotten gorilla balls -- will you be here talking about how much it reeked?

Let's set aside my experience and education in film -- doing that, myself and someone like, say, WildGunsTomcat (just as an example) are on polar opposite positions with our expectations about how well this film will live up to its billing and how good it will be in general, but at the same time we're on perfectly even ground where our predictions are concerned. I'm every bit as likely to be right, based on what we know now, as anyone who thinks it'll be the best thing since push-up bras. So if it does tank, will I get an, "Okay, Saint -- you told us so."?
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that I know J.J. Abrams to be the Messiah, born of a virgin, wholly human and wholly divine, the Alpha and the Omega, the Word of the Lord made flesh, and I accept without reservation that it shall come to pass that His celestial vision of Star Trek is as heavenly and perfect as He. Do you allow for the possibility that I, or others like myself—our experience and education in film notwithstanding—might come out of the theater thinking that J.J.'s Star Trek was neither miraculous nor that it sucked rotten gorilla balls? That it was only so-so? Or are you simply not interested in hearing our confessions?

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 02-04-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: OCD.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
The only thing that bugs me is that Jim, Sulu, and Chekhov are the same general age and Sulu and Chekhov are commissioned officers and Kirk is still a cadet.
That bugs the heck out of me too.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Did you read the opening post of this thread? How is it any different other than assuming the opposite conclusion based on just as scant evidence? I've seen in a dozen posts where people who have problems with this film's departure from canon are the subject of statements like, "Aw, but you know they're gonna go and watch it and cream their jeans and just die from an overdose of raw blinding joy!" How is my counterassumption any more or less valid than that sentiment?

I'll watch the film if and when it comes to a venue where I'm spending less money on potential disappointment. Other than that, when I do see it, if it's a good film, I'll say so. I just wanted to know if the same holds true for those who are assuming it'll be good in the event that it's not. If those who have an issue with it are being expected to "fess up" if we're wrong -- the implication being that we're supposed to drag ourselves back here with big dopey sheepish grins and essentially admit, "Oh, gosh, guys, you were so right!" -- then it's only fair to ask if the same is true for those on the other side of the issue.
I think that a lot of people on this forum will say they loooove it even if they don't, just to piss you off.

As for me, I intend to go in with an open mind and enjoy the experience.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek View Post
We've all lived thru many redundant threads about canon-betrayal and the fans who are pissed/disappointed/haters of the new ship, timeline issues, etc., etc. ...

So here's yet one more suppositional thread. Let's suppose you fit or partially fit the fan description above, and then after the movie is released, you think it's so freakin' amazing that you buy-in to the 'new canon'... heck - maybe even say you now love the new Abramsprise (which I suspect will be the case for many).

Will you step up and say you were wrong/premature/foolish, etc., for not waiting to see the movie first before hating-on aspects of the new flick???

Just curious.

Canon is unimportant for this movie
Time line doesn't matter
And as your signature shows the Abram-prise is a porker.

Why does impact how I like the movie....Non of that has anything to do with the story or plot. It's irrelevant. Whether the ship is ugly or not will have no impact of how I like the movie.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Canon is unimportant for this movie
Time line doesn't matter
I'm debating on whether I will go to the movies and spend $8 bucks to see this movie or just wait until it comes out on DVD or PPV so it won't cost so much. I am on a very limited budget, you see. When I do see it, it will be with an open mind. For me, continuity/timleline issues are very, VERY important. I am worried that this movie will not fit into the existing Star Trek universe despite several statements from JJ and co. to the reverse. I do not like the look of the Abramsprise, nor do I like the look of the new bridge. This is supposed to be TOS after all, not TNG. But if I do see this movie and it is indeed good and it does fit into the existing timeline and no major continuity issues arise, I shall concede that it was good and that I was wrong. I have no problem with that. I would, however, expect the exact same courtesy from the proponents of this film to admit that they were wrong if the movie tanks. It would be only fair.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles3347 View Post
The only thing that bugs me is that Jim, Sulu, and Chekhov are the same general age and Sulu and Chekhov are commissioned officers and Kirk is still a cadet.
This does seem to be quite a quandry. But, if they can make it work logically in the story, then good.

BTW, I ain't kissin' anyone's choobies for good or ill regarding this movie. I am cautiously optimistic about it...although the trailer does have me a wee bit more stoked.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I think that a lot of people on this forum will say they loooove it even if they don't, just to piss you off.

As for me, I intend to go in with an open mind and enjoy the experience.
That's what it boils down to - if you walk into the theater thinking the movie is going to suck, it will. If you're determined to love it, the movie will blow your socks off.

But if it does stink, I'll be the first one to say it.