The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So who's gonna 'fess up???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I will see the film and ultimately decide whether the canon issues are really that important.

it would be easier if u just forget canon right now
cause from my point of view,it doesnt woth it ,thinking about past things,i have better stuff to think, even the actors dont care,why should i ,just go see the movie omegaman,have a good time,and thats all

Last edited by jtrek79 : 12-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Captain

Ah! *holds up a finger* No cheating! :P
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
It'll be awhile, and there's an "if".

IF and when it hits iTunes as a rental, I'll pony up two bucks to watch.
Wow. With mighty spending power like this I can see that JJ Abrams must be kicking himself that he isn't targeting his film at you.

I'm only kidding. Of course, your time is your own to spend or not spend watching a movie; your opinions are as valid as anyone else's (and you have a nice line in vitriol). The movie may indeed suck (although I'm looking forward to it immensely). Certain other Star Trek films have been quite stinky but I still saw them in the cinema and I'm able to watch with fondness and enjoy their good bits.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
So now I pose the same question in the opposite direction:

For those of you convinced that Abram's is Star Trek's messiah
Who is saying this? This is meant as flamebait and nothing else. Then again, these are the sort of overrexaggerations I'd expect from someone complaining about the new ship design.

There are actually very few people on this board who are saying, "This movie will be great." Most people are carrying the same signs you apparently refuse to notice: "Wait and See." Most are prepared for a sucky movie as much as they are prepared for a great one.

You imply that most of the board is apparently tossing Abrams' salad simply because we have a more positive outlook on this movie than thou dost.

Quote:
if you go and you see it and it doesn't live up to the trailer -- if, in short, it sucks rotten gorilla balls -- will you be here talking about how much it reeked?
Put it this way. I kept telling people to give "Babylon A.D." a chance until they actually see it. Based on the trailer I was willing to give it a go. Even as I was defending the film's supposed shortcomings simply based on movie trailers, I was okay with coming back and saying, the movie sucked.

Quote:
Let's set aside my experience and education in film -- doing that, myself and someone like, say, WildGunsTomcat (just as an example) are on polar opposite positions with our expectations about how well this film will live up to its billing and how good it will be in general, but at the same time we're on perfectly even ground where our predictions are concerned. I'm every bit as likely to be right, based on what we know now, as anyone who thinks it'll be the best thing since push-up bras. So if it does tank, will I get an, "Okay, Saint -- you told us so."?
No, you won't. Not just because I refuse to give you that satisfaction. But because thus far all we have is a trailer. A Star Trek trailer that basically does the same exact ****in thing that all Star Trek trailers do: play up on the movie's eye candy to rope in a bigger audience. Based on trailers alone, any Trek movie can be accused of "all action, no intelligence, dumbed for the major market of the general audience." TMP: something's destroying everything in sight, sfx, sfx, explosion, vaporize. WOK: hey, it's that guy from Paradise Island, and he has a mean attitude, explosion, ships flying, shooting, running, hey the girl from Cheers, people flailing about. SFS: more explosions, line, running, hand to hand combat, explosion. TVH: woe they go back in time to our time, a movie I can identify with, guy with mowhawk listening to punk, comedy, romance, chase scene, hey what's that scary long thing. TFF: explosion, guys racing across a sand dune on horses, ship chase, hand to hand fight, explosion. TUD: explosion, hey it's that dad of the family von Trapp and he looks pissed and ready to kick @$$ with that eye patch, explosion, harsh environment, cool camera angle, explosion, oooh some court drama, hey that one supermodel, sexy, explosion.

Get where I'm going with this? You won't get an "I told you so" because you haven't seen the movie and I'm ready for both outcomes.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Admiral

I'm perfectly prepared to be moist with excitement over this movie....I'm also very well prepared to come away thinking it didn't work.

I find it odd that there is some assumption that we have to be one or the other....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Commander

If I am blown away here and by my standards it doesnt mess with storyline too much...I wil say as much.

-Free Enterprise
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Commander

Quote:

For those of you convinced that Abram's is Star Trek's messiah -- if you go and you see it and it doesn't live up to the trailer -- if, in short, it sucks rotten gorilla balls -- will you be here talking about how much it reeked?
Yup. There's a chance this movie will fall short in every respect. If it does, I'll be bitterly disappointed, but after some initial reluctance I'll accept the fact, and discuss where and how the movie was a let-down.
Quote:
So if it does tank, will I get an, "Okay, Saint -- you told us so."?
No, 'cause I honestly believe that my optimism regarding the film is well-founded at this point. Based on what I've seen and read regarding it, and my own opinions about where Trek has gone 'wrong' and what it needs in order to turn 'right' again. My own education is far from lacking, so I'm more than capable of analysing a film by myself and based on my own standards and expectations.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Big D...I think every word Nimoy has put forth about this movie puts you in the happy seat....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm perfectly prepared to be moist with excitement over this movie....I'm also very well prepared to come away thinking it didn't work...
I hear Summer's Eve will be available next to the Sugar Babies and Jordan Almonds at most Palace 20 Cinemas..

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

For those of you convinced that Abram's is Star Trek's messiah -- if you go and you see it and it doesn't live up to the trailer -- if, in short, it sucks rotten gorilla balls -- will you be here talking about how much it reeked?

Let's set aside my experience and education in film -- doing that, myself and someone like, say, WildGunsTomcat (just as an example) are on polar opposite positions with our expectations about how well this film will live up to its billing and how good it will be in general, but at the same time we're on perfectly even ground where our predictions are concerned. I'm every bit as likely to be right, based on what we know now, as anyone who thinks it'll be the best thing since push-up bras. So if it does tank, will I get an, "Okay, Saint -- you told us so."?
Why of course, no-one is blind to the possibility it might not work - but since you don't plan on seeing it in the cinema, you would of course understand the difficulty if you, past May (when a majority of people will have seen it theatrically), continued to be pessimistic. If a majority here did turn out to like the film, it's harder to get people to pay attention to your opinion when you won't have seen it. It's not going to be on itunes on May 8th.

Last edited by kevin : 12-05-2008 at 06:41 AM.