The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > So who's gonna 'fess up???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default So who's gonna 'fess up???

We've all lived thru many redundant threads about canon-betrayal and the fans who are pissed/disappointed/haters of the new ship, timeline issues, etc., etc. ...

So here's yet one more suppositional thread. Let's suppose you fit or partially fit the fan description above, and then after the movie is released, you think it's so freakin' amazing that you buy-in to the 'new canon'... heck - maybe even say you now love the new Abramsprise (which I suspect will be the case for many).

Will you step up and say you were wrong/premature/foolish, etc., for not waiting to see the movie first before hating-on aspects of the new flick???

Just curious.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek View Post
We've all lived thru many redundant threads about canon-betrayal and the fans who are pissed/disappointed/haters of the new ship, timeline issues, etc., etc. ...

So here's yet one more suppositional thread. Let's suppose you fit or partially fit the fan description above, and then after the movie is released, you think it's so freakin' amazing that you buy-in to the 'new canon'... heck - maybe even say you now love the new Abramsprise (which I suspect will be the case for many).

Will you step up and say you were wrong/premature/foolish, etc., for not waiting to see the movie first before hating-on aspects of the new flick???

Just curious.

The only thing that bugs me is that Jim, Sulu, and Chekhov are the same general age and Sulu and Chekhov are commissioned officers and Kirk is still a cadet.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

I will see the film and ultimately decide whether the canon issues are really that important.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Ensign

Talking

party like it's 1979??
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Captain

It'll be awhile, and there's an "if".

IF and when it hits iTunes as a rental, I'll pony up two bucks to watch. IF it doesn't dumb down Star Trek and turn it into generic could-have-been-anything-at-all sci-fi as much as the trailer leads me to believe it will, I'll say so. And yes, even if it does do that but is still a good story separate from whether or not it's good Star Trek, I'll say that, too.

I'm rarely wrong where films are concerned, but I am open to being pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, if it does in fact blow greasy puppy chunks, at least I won't have gotten my hopes up.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
It'll be awhile, and there's an "if".

IF and when it hits iTunes as a rental, I'll pony up two bucks to watch. IF it doesn't dumb down Star Trek and turn it into generic could-have-been-anything-at-all sci-fi as much as the trailer leads me to believe it will, I'll say so. And yes, even if it does do that but is still a good story separate from whether or not it's good Star Trek, I'll say that, too.

I'm rarely wrong where films are concerned, but I am open to being pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, if it does in fact blow greasy puppy chunks, at least I won't have gotten my hopes up.
Just for the sake of argument, let's say 70% of the people on this board see the movie and tell you it's absolutely marvelous. Would you see it then?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Just for the sake of argument, let's say 70% of the people on this board see the movie and tell you it's absolutely marvelous. Would you see it then?
70% of the people on this board are telling me it'll be absolutely marvelous already.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
70% of the people on this board are telling me it'll be absolutely marvelous already.
More like 90% !!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Midshipman

Well, as someone who watch the Original series, on TV AND on it's first aired run, I'll admit I have some serious doubts about this new movie.

I will of course be going to see it, to give it an honest and fair shot. And rest assured, I'll give an honest response either way. If I'm surprised and like it, I'll be the first to say so. Equally so, if it's the dud I fear, I'll be clear about that too!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Captain

So now I pose the same question in the opposite direction:

For those of you convinced that Abram's is Star Trek's messiah -- if you go and you see it and it doesn't live up to the trailer -- if, in short, it sucks rotten gorilla balls -- will you be here talking about how much it reeked?

Let's set aside my experience and education in film -- doing that, myself and someone like, say, WildGunsTomcat (just as an example) are on polar opposite positions with our expectations about how well this film will live up to its billing and how good it will be in general, but at the same time we're on perfectly even ground where our predictions are concerned. I'm every bit as likely to be right, based on what we know now, as anyone who thinks it'll be the best thing since push-up bras. So if it does tank, will I get an, "Okay, Saint -- you told us so."?

Last edited by The Saint : 12-04-2008 at 08:43 PM.