The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nimoy on STXI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Okay. It's somewhat impressive that Spock decided to address the issue personally. It just goes to show that there are a LOT more fans out there that are worried about the direction this movie is taking. But did he tell us anything? NO. He just said what any good actor would say about a new movie that he's starring in. Go see it. It's gonna be great. The director did a great job. Etc. Blah. Blah. Of course he's not going to address any negative issues with the film. Notice that he did not mention anything about explanations for the radically different look of the film or anything that actually pertains to the negative feedback from fans. Leonard Nimoy is a wonderful actor and he is doing his job. Damage Control.
I think that's being a little unfair to Nimoy. It is not his job to explain why things are different looking - if he was the director, then I'd say it would be. Same for damage control. That's Abrams & Co's responsibility.

But he has read the entire script, perhaps he had no 'negative' issues surrounding it, and as he's proven a loyal custodian of the character of Spock all these years, maybe that reveals something. That there is not so much to fear as some believe.

But there may also be only so much he is allowed to say about the actual story (like the rest of the cast).

Last edited by kevin : 12-04-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Okay. It's somewhat impressive that Spock decided to address the issue personally. It just goes to show that there are a LOT more fans out there that are worried about the direction this movie is taking. But did he tell us anything? NO. He just said what any good actor would say about a new movie that he's starring in. Go see it. It's gonna be great. The director did a great job. Etc. Blah. Blah. Of course he's not going to address any negative issues with the film. Notice that he did not mention anything about explanations for the radically different look of the film or anything that actually pertains to the negative feedback from fans. Leonard Nimoy is a wonderful actor and he is doing his job. Damage Control.
Did you actually expect Nimoy to break his confidentiality clause about the film and spill a bunch of spoilers?

Also, do you consider veteran actor/director/caretaker of TREK, Leonard Nimoy, just another "good actor" who will blindly hype the film he's in?

If so, you're willfully ignoring his repeated comments along this line, not to mention that Nimoy approved of and agreed to participate in this story back before the script was even written, long before Abrams began directing it.

Sorry to read you have such a low opinion of a longtime TREK standard-bearer like Nimoy... but if that's what you want, so be it. I guess you're enjoying it for some reason.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

The, 'he is in for the money does not work and so only praises this movie in high tones' does not work with Nimoy. He is virtually a retired actor and unlike other Trek actors did not accept weak scripts, so one can be pretty sure that at least the script is fine and especially concerning Spock. Concerning art, FX etc., that is not his area.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yet apparently he's liking ALL that he sees in the film so far, which is good news. Compare that to his comments on STV, where he gladly admits the effects and other aspects were not up to par for TREK, due to the studio hamstringing Shatner and the film's budget.

Nimoy is perfectly willing to speak his opinion on the plusses and minuses he sees in a TREK film -- quite the opposite of shilling for the 'company' or his director.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

This does not imply that this will be a good movie or that is satisfies specific tastes, but as he co-created Spock's character, workded two fine Trek movies and did not accept the GEN script because he felt the lines he had did nothing for Spock, his approval of this script and support for the movie are promising and I weight his opinion as more important than that of anyone else who worked on the movie or has seen previews.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

I appreciate Nimoy trying to talk sense to some of the canonistas, but even if he wouldn't have thrown his support behind the movie (or even been a cast member), I would still be EXCITED for this movie!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
It's somewhat impressive that Spock decided to address the issue personally.
Just so you're aware: that's Leonard Nimoy. Not Spock. Leonard Nimoy.

Quote:
But did he tell us anything? NO. He just said what any good actor would say about a new movie that he's starring in. Go see it. It's gonna be great. The director did a great job. Etc. Blah. Blah.
*blinks* Did you expect him to tell us anything? Why? That's a pretty unreasonable expectation, given that I'm sure he, like every other actor in the movie, is under an NDA for the time being. And besides, revealing spoilers wasn't the point of his statement.

Quote:
Notice that he did not mention anything about explanations for the radically different look of the film or anything that actually pertains to the negative feedback from fans.
That's not Nimoy's role and I don't think that was his intent. If someone were to come out and address the "radically different look of the film" or "anything that actually pertains to the negative feedback from fans," it would not be Nimoy, as intelligent as he is. It'd likely be J.J. Abrams.

And while Nimoy's statement doesn't guarantee that Trek XI will be a fantastic movie, I think it still carries a lot of weight. Nimoy strikes me as someone who is very careful with his opinion. I wish the naysayers would take his message to heart -- or, at the very least, wait until they see the movie before proclaiming it to be horrible.

PS. That yellow font you use is hard on the eyes.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant

From what I could tell, Leonard Nimoy has a lot of integrity when it comes to the craft of acting and storytelling. As a long time fan of the franchise going back to TOS (pre TMP) I believe Nimoy when he says that JJ has made a fine film. As for the new look etc. maybe even Nimoy has seen something that he wished was possible in the 60's -80's but was not technologically possible at the time. Let's wait and see how this all plays out.

Maybe, just maybe, STXI will be a breakthrough film that changes the way we not only view Star Trek, but sci-fi films in general. I still have a very good feeling about what we will experience in May.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Just to clarify. I am not saying anything bad about Mr. Nimoy. He is a great actor and I have a lot of respect for him. I actually met Mr. Nimoy at a book signing in Durham, NC in 1995 or 1996. Spoke to him briefly and he signed my copy of his book "I Am Spock". I still tell people about that day all the time. It was the day I met Spock. It was awesome! All I am saying is that he did not have to respond to the criticism. He did it because there is apparently a lot of negativity surrounding this movie and he addressed it. However, he did not really dispell any of it. He just said this is a great movie. Go see it. Or something to that effect. Just what a good actor would do when promoting his film.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Captain

Quote:
"About two months ago my wife, Susan, and I saw a near finished version of the new Star Trek movie. Some special effects and new score were not yet in place. Susan can be a very honest and tough critic. When it was clear that the story was wrapping up she turned to me and whispered, "I don't want this movie to end !!" There are some directors who can manage a grand scale and some who can deliver great personal character elements. Not many can do both. JJ Abrams is one of the few. He has given us a wonderful film."
Nimoy knows what he likes, and Nimoy knows Trek. If Nimoy thinks it's quality stuff, then it probably is. Nimoy is the Chuck Norris of the Trek Universe.