The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ´Enterprise in TOS Style 1966
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Vice Admiral

That'd be funny as heck!!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Commander

I'm sorry but that is ugly...the nacelles are so...bulging and...crooked and....wrong...I just....argh...very good effort though, not your fault that the new ENT is constructed the way it is.

-Free Enterprise
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Same here. No offense to whoever did the renderings. They didn't have much to work with. But that looks horrible only barely resembles the original Enterprise.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Whoever did these pictures enlarged the secondary hull to accomodate a shuttlebay. The Abrahmsprise has an almost pointed secondary hull. Hence, no shuttlebay.
This diagram seems to show a shuttlebay:

Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
The "new" Abramsprise sucks targ booty. Like it or lump it? I'll lump it. This design is much better: http://deg3d.biz/splash_TOS.5_E/TOS.5_E.html
I have to say, Deg's Enterprise is exactly what I mean with my "color within the lines" design update philosophy. From a distance, it's nearly identical. Up close shots, though, show the torpedo launchers just forward of the "lightbulb" on the underside of the saucer (sorry, my geek cred doesn't extend to knowing what that thing is/does). The detailing around the impulse engines, and even the glowing grilles on the nacelles of his rendition don't bother me because it's kept very, very subtle and depends on the right lighting to even be visible, much like the same effect which would follow "later" in the TMP refit.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant

The bulb underneath the saucer is supposed to be a planetary Sensor array...I think...
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Then again, some people may want more from a new TREK movie than a 'paint by the numbers' approach to the ship... not to mention this film isn't TOS, which is what Deg's design satisfies.

As with Eden FX, I'd enjoy seeing Deg design a ship for the new film according to the script's/concept's specs... if only after we learn what they are from the story. I'm sure both would do fine and very interesting jobs on the project!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Lieutenant

What I especially like is the addition of the "impulse dome" seen in the TOS movies (hell, even the NX-01 has one) on the impulse "ridge" on the saucer.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant

BTW, the new ship does appear to have a shuttle bay in the back of the secondary hull, it's barely visible in the trailer as the ship speeds away at warp.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Then again, some people may want more from a new TREK movie than a 'paint by the numbers' approach to the ship... not to mention this film isn't TOS, which is what Deg's design satisfies.
Not 'paint by numbers' -- 'color within the lines.' You, uh, have done them both as a kid, right? You do know the fundamental difference between the two concepts?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."