The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Thought - New Enterprise in a Remastered ST:TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I beg to differ. The design of the E has everything to do with the story. Without the ship, there would be no story. And "MINOR" differences?!?! And if you look at the construction scene in the trailer, you won't see any differences? Did you see the same trailer I did? Because I noticed a lot of differences. Pardon me Horatio, you have always been the calm voice of reason and logic on these boards, and I admire you for that, but I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one. The differences between the "Abramsprise" and the real NCC-1701 from TOS are radical, not minor. Anyone who has watched TOS knows this. Most are just too stubborn to admit it. And it would take more than just a line of dialogue in the movie to explain such a radical departure from the traditional Connie design.
uh...

Real NCC-1701... ?????

'nuff said.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
So what are you expecting at this point in the lead up to the release? A total redo of the effects? A total script (that no-one here has seen) re-write?

It has nothing to do with stubborness and everything to do with the fact that these decisions are above our heads, have been made by the people making the film and are past changing.

Now these discussions can (and will) go round and round as many times as anyone likes, but it's all moot anyway.
That's true. But I'm doing my impression of a Tellarite. You know how they love to argue. I know there's nothing that can be done about it now, and I really do hope that this is a good movie. And maybe the changes will be explained. If not, this movie will not fit into the established Star Trek universe without time travel alterations to the timeline. I'm expecting something along the lines of "Yesterday's Enterprise". Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Federation Councillor

And as likely as any other, but several people are posting as if they have the entire film figured out, (though with the options open via a time travel based plot I have no idea how) and I'm simply advocating patience to give the film the chance to address these matters without assuming first.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek View Post
uh...

Real NCC-1701... ?????

'nuff said.
YEP! THE REAL NCC-1701.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
YEP! THE REAL NCC-1701.

(Looks a little unbalanced...)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I beg to differ. The design of the E has everything to do with the story. Without the ship, there would be no story. And "MINOR" differences?!?! And if you look at the construction scene in the trailer, you won't see any differences? Did you see the same trailer I did? Because I noticed a lot of differences. Pardon me Horatio, you have always been the calm voice of reason and logic on these boards, and I admire you for that, but I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one. The differences between the "Abramsprise" and the real NCC-1701 from TOS are radical, not minor. Anyone who has watched TOS knows this. Most are just too stubborn to admit it. And it would take more than just a line of dialogue in the movie to explain such a radical departure from the traditional Connie design.
I understand your point of view and it is a matter of perspective whether those changes are minor or major ones. As the trailer features a scene with a front shot, I only wanted to point out that she looks more similar to the original than from a sideview.
But if I may suggest, my wild speculation is that we see the Enterprise constructed on Earth, Kirk yearning to get command over that ship (OK not so wild, that is just the trailer scene), we see her first launch and, although in TOS many Constitution class vessels existed, the Enterprise might be the first and single ship of her class in this movie. There COULD be scenes which emphasize the Enterprise, like the slow revelation in TMP. As I said, I understand your point of view, but perhaps good plot concerning the Enterprise can make it up for a bad look (just like a good performance of an actor is more important than his looks) ?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post

Just a little. But it gets the job done, don't it?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post

Possibly one of the reasons the shuttle is called "The flying brick."

But nice shot of OV 101
Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Just a little. But it gets the job done, don't it?
Eeeeeexactly.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Possibly one of the reasons the shuttle is called "The flying brick."

But nice shot of OV 101
Indeed...finding it was a real treat. How often, even in the early days, did we get to see 101 on the pad?