The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Thought - New Enterprise in a Remastered ST:TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
It absolutely could be done. It HAS been done. It looks like this:

True. However, I have to point out that this is the Enterprise-A. A later version of the Enterprise that followed a forward progression of time and technology. We are looking into the past (before TOS), not the future (after TOS). So the original design should have been retained, just updated and modernized. Also, I really like the ST:VI bridge. Almost as much as I like the TOS version.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Put the real Enterprise into the new movie . . . It could have been done. Don't try to tell me it couldn't.
Sure, it can be done. This is how you do it:

Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

This is a topic people will always be divided on: what is more important, in-universe consistency or portraying something futuristic from today's perspective.
As you pointed out, one could change the TOS bridge such that it looks like the original yet still futuristic.
I think the job is too hard, keeping the look but eliminating anything which is outdated today, so I am all for the new design. But as I said, people are divivded upon which is more relevant.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Sure, it can be done. This is how you do it:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
This is a topic people will always be divided on: what is more important, in-universe consistency or portraying something futuristic from today's perspective.
As you pointed out, one could change the TOS bridge such that it looks like the original yet still futuristic.
I think the job is too hard, keeping the look but eliminating anything which is outdated today, so I am all for the new design. But as I said, people are divivded upon which is more relevant.
It still could have been done. What we're seeing here is change for the sake of change. Not necessarily for the sake of a good story.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

The design of the E has nothing to do with the story.
And it is changed to make it look believable on the big screen, which is hard to accomplish with a CGI version of a 60s model without new texture. My best guess was that they would keep the look design and only changed the texture, but now some other minor things are changed as as this picture from the trailer shows, they are indeed minor. If anyone just sees the trailer once and missed the construction scene, he or she would not see any differences.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Also, I really like the ST:VI bridge. Almost as much as I like the TOS version.
I do as well. I thought it was superior to the various bridges in ST's I-IV. I think it's the same bridge from STV, not sure. In any case, it is yummy.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The design of the E has nothing to do with the story.
And it is changed to make it look believable on the big screen, which is hard to accomplish with a CGI version of a 60s model without new texture. My best guess was that they would keep the look design and only changed the texture, but now some other minor things are changed as as this picture from the trailer shows, they are indeed minor. If anyone just sees the trailer once and missed the construction scene, he or she would not see any differences.
I beg to differ. The design of the E has everything to do with the story. Without the ship, there would be no story. And "MINOR" differences?!?! And if you look at the construction scene in the trailer, you won't see any differences? Did you see the same trailer I did? Because I noticed a lot of differences. Pardon me Horatio, you have always been the calm voice of reason and logic on these boards, and I admire you for that, but I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one. The differences between the "Abramsprise" and the real NCC-1701 from TOS are radical, not minor. Anyone who has watched TOS knows this. Most are just too stubborn to admit it. And it would take more than just a line of dialogue in the movie to explain such a radical departure from the traditional Connie design.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Commander

"She's nothing like her original specs..."

"Tell me about it... Who came up with these changes anyway?"

Cut to close up of Spock...

(Best we could do in 2 hours.... )

* Again I'm a fan of the original design, but we're not going to get it so this is my best attempt to find a hand hold here.

Last edited by Yagami Crewman : 12-04-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I beg to differ. The design of the E has everything to do with the story. Without the ship, there would be no story. And "MINOR" differences?!?! And if you look at the construction scene in the trailer, you won't see any differences? Did you see the same trailer I did? Because I noticed a lot of differences. Pardon me Horatio, you have always been the calm voice of reason and logic on these boards, and I admire you for that, but I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one. The differences between the "Abramsprise" and the real NCC-1701 from TOS are radical, not minor. Anyone who has watched TOS knows this. Most are just too stubborn to admit it. And it would take more than just a line of dialogue in the movie to explain such a radical departure from the traditional Connie design.
So what are you expecting at this point in the lead up to the release? A total redo of the effects? A total script (that no-one here has seen) re-write?

It has nothing to do with stubborness and everything to do with the fact that these decisions are above our heads, have been made by the people making the film and are past changing.

Now these discussions can (and will) go round and round as many times as anyone likes, but it's all moot anyway.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Ensign

Here's the thing..

JJ says this movie is in canon and everything. From what I have read, from his POV, this movie should fit flawlessly within TOS. THIS is the problem with the design.

If JJ hasn't been saying this and that it was just a "reimagining" or a "reboot" then no problem. All the redesigns wouldn't cause this much of a stir.

Despite what JJ has said about this movie, it does NOT fit into established continuity (from what I have seen), so that's how I'm going into it. Yeah, I would love to have seen the REAL enterprise, but this new one will have to do.