The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > A Thought - New Enterprise in a Remastered ST:TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Sybock's Avatar
Sybock Sybock is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sha Ka Ree (Vulcan Heaven)
Posts: 451
Default A Thought - New Enterprise in a Remastered ST:TOS

I just picked up the Remastered ST:TOS on DVD and actually enjoyed how they updated the effects. It was a lot better than I thought it would be since I really did not enjoy Star Wars when Lucas did it. Jabba was a CGI joke in episode IV, episode V didn't seem that different and episode VI was .... well, what was with the young Skywalker ghost hanging with the old Obi Wan ghost?

So what would fans of Star Trek think if they replaced the Enterprise in TOS with J.J.'s Enterprise? Could it be done well and attract fans of the new film or is it a horrible thought to mess with the original design?

Last edited by Sybock : 12-03-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,575
Default

Couldn't be done. The interior sets wouldn't match the exterior model, which would be most notable on the bridge (Church's Organiprize has a gigantic windshield with a HUD on the bridge exterior, TOS bridge is fully enclosed and has a viewscreen.)
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 AM
dholleyuk's Avatar
dholleyuk dholleyuk is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Posts: 371
Default

True and good point, unless you can wipe out the background and just leave the actors in shot and superimpose the new sets it would not work, and I like the RTOS but I still watch it in the format I love.
__________________
Course Heading Sir; Second star to the right... and straight on till morning
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 AM
chasco's Avatar
chasco chasco is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 66
Default

Dear God!! What a nightmare idea! Bad enough that someone saw fit to "adjust" the original design at all, but the thought of having that monstrosity shoved into the middle of the original series doesn't bear thinking about.

The question should be - is it too late to make the movie 'Enterprise' look like it's blasted well supposed to? (ie, like the ship in the Remastered/Original episodes).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 AM
mmoore's Avatar
mmoore mmoore is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: OKUSA
Posts: 1,973
Default

Bad, bad idea.

Putting Shatner and Nimoy on the new ship would be like putting Pine and Quinto on the old one. It doesn't work. They'd look completely out of place. The actors you identify with those characters have to be in their own setting.

That's what I was talking about before. The new cast have to be in their own setting to be believable in their roles.
__________________
"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Good point, mmoore. I think that is what JJA et al mean when they repeat to say that they wanted to avoid that it looks like a farce. New actors in the same settings as the old ones, this either turns out to be a hommage or a farce.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasco View Post
Dear God!! What a nightmare idea! Bad enough that someone saw fit to "adjust" the original design at all, but the thought of having that monstrosity shoved into the middle of the original series doesn't bear thinking about.

The question should be - is it too late to make the movie 'Enterprise' look like it's blasted well supposed to? (ie, like the ship in the Remastered/Original episodes).
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholleyuk View Post
True and good point, unless you can wipe out the background and just leave the actors in shot and superimpose the new sets it would not work, and I like the RTOS but I still watch it in the format I love.
How about the other way around. Put the real Enterprise into the new movie and put the real sets into the new move as it should be? Yeah, I know, 1960's cardboard sets, yadda, yadda, blah, blah. Heard it all before. I would have liked to have seen the original bridge design and color scheme updated with better, big budget building materials, modernized animated viewscreen displays, and updated, more realistic and functional control panels, buttons, and switches, etc. It could have been done. Don't try to tell me it couldn't. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it), there are no Apple stores where I live with which to compare the new Enterprise bridge to. In fact, I am a PC guy, so Apple doesn't interest me. But that bridge looks like a cross between the Galaxy Quest bridge and the Jupiter 2 bridge from the Lost in Space movie. I just don't like it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasco View Post
Dear God!! What a nightmare idea! Bad enough that someone saw fit to "adjust" the original design at all, but the thought of having that monstrosity shoved into the middle of the original series doesn't bear thinking about.

The question should be - is it too late to make the movie 'Enterprise' look like it's blasted well supposed to? (ie, like the ship in the Remastered/Original episodes).
Ehm, what a question is this? The movie is done, all you have to is to decide whether you will see it or not.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
I just picked up the Remastered ST:TOS on DVD and actually enjoyed how they updated the effects. It was a lot better than I thought it would be since I really did not enjoy Star Wars when Lucas did it. Jabba was a CGI joke in episode IV, episode V didn't seem that different and episode VI was .... well, what was with the young Skywalker ghost hanging with the old Obi Wan ghost?

So what would fans of Star Trek think if they replaced the Enterprise in TOS with J.J.'s Enterprise? Could it be done well and attract fans of the new film or is it a horrible thought to mess with the original design?

No absolutely not. It's bad for too many reason on too many different levels. For one there is no way the old film can be cleaned up to match the curent tech and just from preception...I can't go with it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 AM
LTJG Iferal's Avatar
LTJG Iferal LTJG Iferal is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I would have liked to have seen the original bridge design and color scheme updated with better, big budget building materials, modernized animated viewscreen displays, and updated, more realistic and functional control panels, buttons, and switches, etc. It could have been done. Don't try to tell me it couldn't.
It absolutely could be done. It HAS been done. It looks like this:

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.