The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Spock had a limp?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Ensign

Default Spock had a limp?

I just re-watched The Menagerie over on IMDB and it is VERY obvious that while walking around on the surface of Talos IV that Spock had a limp.

Does anyone know the background on this? Was Nimoy himself injured at the time of the shot, or was the limp written out?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grup View Post
I just re-watched The Menagerie over on IMDB and it is VERY obvious that while walking around on the surface of Talos IV that Spock had a limp.

Does anyone know the background on this? Was Nimoy himself injured at the time of the shot, or was the limp written out?
Probably a fan strapped a canon to his leg.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Probably a fan strapped a canon to his leg.

You are in odd form today! Actually Nimoy has one leg shorter than the other. In later episodes and the films he wears a boot with a built up sole to allow him to walk normally .
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Ensign

I did not know that. Do you know why they decided to correct the limp after the pilot?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Lieutenant

I guess that while his 'deformity' suited an earlier character he had played (Hunch Back of Notradam) it did not fit well with a 'Star Fleet' officer.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
Actually Nimoy has one leg shorter than the other. In later episodes and the films he wears a boot with a built up sole to allow him to walk normally.
Wow, I never knew that.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Commander

The limp does fit the character in that episode however. Remember when Pike asks Spock and Tyler if they feel up to joining the landing party? Spock was one of the seven crew injured at Rigel VII.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
The limp does fit the character in that episode however. Remember when Pike asks Spock and Tyler if they feel up to joining the landing party? Spock was one of the seven crew injured at Rigel VII.
Yupp, thats the whole story about the limp. As far as I have read somewhere Roddenberry did not intend the script for The Cage to be produced first, but the network insisted on that script. Roddenberry did not consider it representative enough.

So, what became the Pilot was actually intended to become the second or third episode by Roddenberry and started with the crew coming back from a dangerous mission on Rigel. The first dialogue on the bridge is all about that, thats why Pike insist to NOT respond to the mysterious distress call first and to care for the own sick and injured instead before going anywhere. Its the second scene with the ships doctor that makes him change his mind. One of the injured from the Rigel incident is Spock and his limping is a neat way to show continuity in the story. However, its a little detail that gets lost during the episode, and the first time I saw it I also wondered why Spock limped.

And as a side note: When the finished episode failed to convince the network and the test audience Roddenberry had an argument for doing a second Pilot. His argument was he had told the network The Cage where not representative enough. Thus the network agreed to give it a second chance with Where No Man Has Gone Before. At the same time a lot of changes where made in the Cast. Mostly because the actor playing Pike did refuse to sign for another Episode.

And all that musing about a limp. Yes, I am a nerd!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Ensign

It's odd how things work out. I did not know that Jeffrey Hunter refused to sign on. Where would the franchise be today since he passed away in '69?

On a side note. Would he have passed away during filming of the final season or had the season already wrapped up?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Captain

Jeffrey Hunter passed away May 27, 1969. The Turnabout Intruder (the last episode filmed--it wrapped January 9, 1969), was originally scheduled to air March 28, 1969, but was preempted due to Pres. Dwight D. Eisenhower's death. It subsequently aired June 3, 1969.