The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Episode novelisation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Lieutenant

Default Episode novelisation

I have the complete set of TOS episode in short story version and also TAS episodes treated in the same way. Has this ever been done for TNG etc?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Federation Councillor

I didn't even know that had been done for TOS, was that an official publication or fan created?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Lieutenant

I am not sure, but the all the original TOS episodes were written as short stories and published 12 volumes by an author called James Bliss (or is it Blish, my books are at home). The two Mud stories were not included as the author wrote these up in a separate Mud volume along with some original Mud stories. Sadly I don't have that. I can remeber when these paperbacks and a couple of other original stories (oagain written by the same author) were the only Trek books you could buy in the UK (Gorgi books) before Pocket appeared with their series.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The "Star Trek Logs" (volumes one through three) were written by both James Blish, and Alan Dean Foster. They were official publications. I hate to say it, but the ADF books were far better than Blish's.

As far as I know, no one has adapted any of the shows beyond TAS into prose form. You might try writing to Paramount about it. They might be interested in the idea.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure all the original-cast films were novelized, as well as most adapted published as comic books. There have been a few TNG episodes to be novelized as well. "Encounter at Farpoint" and "All Good Things," I believe were published as novels. I know "Relics" was novelized, and there may have been others. I will look into it and get back to you.

[Edit: All 10 movies have been novelized. The TNG episodes "Unification" and "Descent" were also novelized, in addition to the ones I mentioned above. All these novelizations were published by Pocket Books.]

Last edited by CDH-313 : 01-08-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Captain

Cool

Let me correct FanWriter very slightly.

The TOS adaptations written by James Blish were originally released by Bantam Books as the "Star Trek" series, there were 12 books altogether adapting the episodes of the original series plus the book "Mudd's Angels" which included "Mudd's Women," "I, Mudd" and an original Harry Mudd tale. Blish's adaptations were often created using earlier versions of the episode scripts, so occasionally his stories do not exactly match the final episode, but often give a little extra info that may not have made it to screen. Blish died during the writing of the 12th volume, and it was completed by his wife J.A. Lawrence.

The TAS adaptations were written by Alan Dean Foster as the "Star Trek Logs" series and released by Ballantine/Del Rey books. Foster was given reign to amend many of the stories, and the final book turned the episode "The Counter Clock Incident" into a novel length adventure featuring Ambassador Robert April. The original releases covered 10 books I believe, later reprints condensed this down to three or four.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Commander

*Foster was given reign to amend many of the stories*
I rather liked how he added little interludes to connect the stories.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
*Foster was given reign to amend many of the stories*
I rather liked how he added little interludes to connect the stories.
I remember those; I thought they were pretty cool, too.