The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Shatner: Abrams " Lying About Not Being A Fan!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Post Shatner: Abrams " Lying About Not Being A Fan!

UGO: And as Abrams did this road show, he had a little bit of a prepared statement and his talking points. The type of thing you don’t see of Shatner’s Raw Nerve.
WS: Yes.
UGO: And the jokey way he decided to break the ice was, ‘I never was a fan of Star Trek.’ It’s the first thing out of his mouth.
WS: Uh oh.
UGO: How do you react, when you hear that?
WS: Well, he lies through his teeth. Because he was a “big fan of Star Trek.” So, JJ Abrams is trying to cast himself as a nouveau entre into the Star Trek universe. But I know him to be an old admirer of the show.
UGO: Well, he’s got to clear himself of the perceived stain. There are some people who think Star Trek is just for the mouth-breathing nerd. It’s a marketing ploy that either he devised or someone who devised for him and told him to say and it is what he’s running with it.
WS: Nobody tells JJ Abrams what to say, I can tell you that much. He’s got to broaden the base of the audience. And, I’m really being facetious when I refer to him as a long-time admirer. But he’s doing the best he can. You and I both recognize his trying to broaden the base of the audience, so that people will come to see it as an adventure.
UGO: Why do you think there is a little bit of a stigma to Star Trek?
WS: I think because the audience that has remained there has been so passionate in the affection for the show, that people who don’t know why they’re so passionate think of them in negative terms. And so if you’re known to like Star Trek, you’re linked with this group of people who wear costumes.
much more at UGO.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Lieutenant Commander

"big fan of Star Trek" and "a fan of Star Trek" can mean two very different things. "big fan of Star Trek" = "Trekkie". "fan of Star Trek" = "fan of scifi stuff, not just Star Trek, but really I'm more of a Star Wars fan". He's already indicated that he's very familiar with the show. Probably more so than Nick Meyer ever was before they asked him to direct. For and intents, he is a fan of Star Trek. Not a Trekkie.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Lieutenant

Whether he was a fan or not, he will be a fan of his own work, his research into the work, past stories etc, so I feel a temporal shift coming on with this statement, in 2007 / 08 / 09 he is involved, researched the past (future ST). In his mind with the past knowledge of the future created something really great for us to see over and over again from May, thus making him a fan of the past and future of ST?

Or Yes I agree with WS!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Lieutenant

Oh my god not Star Wars v/s Star Trek!! Please let it go already! His success will decide if he is a Trekkie or not.

eg: Berman and Bragga are defacto non trekkie now! Despite producing 50% of Trek history
Old 12-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Lieutenant

I don't get it. Shatner says both, 'I know him to be an old admirer of the show', as well as 'I’m really being facetious when I refer to him as a long-time admirer. But he’s doing the best he can.'

Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Captain

Shatner has been known to dabble in hyperbole from time to time.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Vice Admiral

I just don't know what to think. JJ and his crew have contradicted themselves on many occasions. First saying that the new movie will be true to canon, or respect canon, and that any changes will be minor and will have a canon explanation. Later JJ says that they went into the movie to break the rules - that was in the EW article, I think. Either way, JJ has broken many Trek canon rules in the trailer alone. So I have to wait and see the movie to be able to tell for sure if this movie will fit in the established Trek timeline.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Lieutenant

What canon rules are broken in the trailer. The only one I see is Kirk being able to drive a motor car!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
What canon rules are broken in the trailer. The only one I see is Kirk being able to drive a motor car!
Well, let's see. Kirk seeing the Enterprise's construction in his mid-to-late twenties when he should be a teenager. Enterprise being built entirely on Earth (I know, not official canon, but most if all other starships have been at least assembled in spacedock). Kirk driving a car (nitpicky. I can get over that). Chekov in a command gold uniform on the Bridge of the Enterprise when Kirk is still a cadet, even though he is supposed to be at least 12 years younger than Kirk. The entire TOS crew on the Enterprise with Captain Pike at the same time?? And if Trek continuity is strictly adhered to, and this movie is set in the timeframe between "The Cage" and "WNMHGB", then Chekov, Uhura, and Bones shouldn't even be in it. I'm sure if I watched the trailer several more times, I could pick out several more errors.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Lieutenant

My god, who the hell cares? Go and see the movie and enjoy it. Or don't see the movie, put in your DVD's of the television series, and enjoy it. One way or the other, just do what you enjoy.