The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I come as an Emissary to canonistas and revisionists...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The funny thing is that the entire refit story of TMP makes no sense. It is a new ship, it looks like a new ship, but to give it the 'old yet new' touch that lines about her having being refitted have been written.
Most interestingly everyone buys that yet unleashed havoc upon JJA et al.
It is the story (not the ship), stupid.

By the way, here is a nice picture someone posted which shows that the changes are minor ones, it is only the new texture which makes the ship look so different:
http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4572
As with this movie, they needed a reason to justify the newly redisigned-for-the-big-screen Enterprise. So they said it had been redesigned and refit. The problem is that the refit scenario doesn't work with this movie because we are looking at the past (before TOS), not the future (after TOS) as with TMP. We know what the Enterprise looked like under Pike's command at least 11 years prior to Kirk taking command. When Kirk took command, the ship looked virtually identical to the original Pike version. No major external refits took place between Pike's command and the TMP revision. So the only way to justify the radically different design of this new Enterprise would be to allow for an alternate universe plot with time travel altering the entire history of Trek. And yes, it is the ship, stupid. As well as the story. You can't have one without the other.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Federation Councillor

The TOS ship has no texture in the first place, that's why a textured version where you could see hull panels (which would have been shown in TOS if the effects technology to detail the model that way had existed) doesn't help matters. Even if you took the TOS ship and applied the same texturing, it still wouldn't look quite the same as TOS. While the shape appeares different, the texture now matches TMP.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sure you can, like the Voyage Home, Far Beyond the Stars and many other stories.

My point is that a story like the refit story from TMP was bought, although I could easily argue that this were BS as the ship is an entirely new ship. But people bought it, because they liked the refit story. But forr JJA et al. different standards seem to hold and everything is nitpicked to the most tiniest detail, while I suggest that one waits for the STORY of the movie. And the story surrounding the Enterprise might also be more important than some details. Whether it was mentioned that she built on Earth or in space before is not important, whether the scenes of her on Earth emphaisze her relevance, whether she is shown as the single one new ship of her class, that is what really matters and what has an impact upon viewers.

If one treats the Enterprise as character, what she does and is is important is more important than the looks.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The TOS ship has no texture in the first place, that's why a textured version where you could see hull panels (which would have been shown in TOS if the effects technology to detail the model that way had existed) doesn't help matters. Even if you took the TOS ship and applied the same texturing, it still wouldn't look quite the same as TOS. While the shape appeares different, the texture now matches TMP.
I beg to differ. Check this out: http://deg3d.biz/splash_TOS.5_E/TOS.5_E.html

This is the ship JJ should have used. In my humble opinion, this is the BEST re-imagined Enterprise that I have seen. And I've seen a lot. This one is AWESOME!!! TOS Remastered should have used this one.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
If Abrahms and his crew had designed an Enterprise that looked like the Enterprise, there would be no need for bashing.
True, there would be no need for bashing. But, there would be bashing.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, that is indeed very well done, and would suit the remastered series fine, but it would still need greater photo-realism for a 2009 big screen theatrical release. Just like the photographic model from TMP had.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
True, there would be no need for bashing. But, there would be bashing.
Because heaven forbid we just enjoy a movie. It's more fun to project our personal issues onto it!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I beg to differ. Check this out: http://deg3d.biz/splash_TOS.5_E/TOS.5_E.html

This is the ship JJ should have used. In my humble opinion, this is the BEST re-imagined Enterprise that I have seen. And I've seen a lot. This one is AWESOME!!! TOS Remastered should have used this one.
That is truly spectacular work - but, like EdenFX's version of same, I think it's a bit of a misnomer to call it a "re-imagining". It is the exact same ship.

The "shuttle bay" might fairly be called "re-imagined"; I don't fully remember what the original looked like.