The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Loose "canon", tie it down!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As you know apocryphical gospels, I take you word that they are not cannonical for a good reason, but clearly cannonical books like the Gospel of John are problematic or can be considered less important or accurate by readers, while churches stick with it.
So, we're like the Diet of Worms!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Lieutenant

For the LOVE of GOD! There is no BLOODY CANON in TREK! Nothing was or has ever been set in STONE! TREK is nothing but a series of contradictions!

Can go faster than WARP 10, then you can't!

Phaser looked like PHOTON TOPEDOES originally!

Lithium crystals became Dilithium crystals!

Spock's human ancestor became his mother in less than a season!

Zephram Cochrane was from Alpha Centauri and then Bozeman, Montana!

UESPA in TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY became the Federation!

Klingons got ridges... in the movies!

Etc... etc... etc...

For PETE'S SAKE, there is no CANON!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post
For the LOVE of GOD! There is no BLOODY CANON in TREK! Nothing was or has ever been set in STONE! TREK is nothing but a series of contradictions!

Etc... etc... etc...

I gotta agree with this guy.

Can we go back to using the long-used and more appropriate 'continuity' term? I think it's taking an "looking from the outside in" approach in looking at the franchise. There's way too many bits and bobs that don't make sense or contradict already in 40 years of fictional history mish-mash.

I think "Canon" is a much more useful term for a series like Star Wars where the history has been tightly controlled by the creators.

Last edited by Kukalaka : 12-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
I gotta agree with this guy.

Can we go back to using the long-used and more appropriate 'continuity' term? I think it's taking an "looking from the outside in" approach in looking at the franchise. There's way too many bits and bobs that don't make sense or contract already in 40 years of fictional history mish-mash.

I think "Canon" is a much more useful term for a series like Star Wars where the history has been tightly controlled by the creators.
I gotta agree with this guy agreeing with that guy. Well said guys!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
Who thinks "Canon" should be shot out a Cannon? That word pops up in almost every post.

Why is so important to some people? And why do people get so upset when it is not followed?

Who like me doesn't care and why?
*raises hand*
Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post

The warp scale was re-calibrated as engines got more efficient and ships got faster. Everybody knows this. No continuity problems.

The result of budgetary and creative restraints. Only happened a couple of timies. The effects were refined as the series moved forward.

Again, only happened a couple of times. Because lithium is a real substance, a different fictional substance had to be substituted in future episodes. Not that big a deal. Most shows evolve over time.

Spock may have been being sarcastic when he said "ancestor". He was apparently still sort of emotional at that time. Only happened once. Not that big a deal.

Cochrane was born and lived on Earth. Traveled and settled on Alpha Centauri later in life. Not that big a deal either.

UESPA could have been "Starfleet's" governing body. The UFP could have been UESPA's governing body. Again early evolution of the series, only used a couple of times. Can be creatively explained.

Again, budgetary concerns. G.R. said he always wanted the Klingons to have crunchy foreheads. TMP gave him the budget to do so. Explained - at least to my satisfaction - in DS9's "Trials and Tribble-Ations". Worf said it was a "long story" and that they "don't talk about it with outsiders". Good enough for me. Later in ENT's "Affliction" and "Divergence" - to a more convoluted degree.

Etc... etc... etc...

And don't forget about Kahn knowing Chekov in TWOK even though Chekov didn't show up until season two of TOS. Explanation: Maybe Chekov was a midshipman or crewman on the lower decks and Kahn ran into him on his way from the conference room to Engineering?

Also, Admiral Morrow in TSFS told Kirk that the Enterprise was 20 years old. It was really more like 40. However, it has been said that Morrow was probably talking about the re-fit.

I can go on and on. And in most cases, minor discrepencies can be explained. I hope that is the case with this movie. And I hope that the radical changes in appearances of ships and sets will somehow be explained.