The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > trek episode that made u cry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
The Inner Light.
(slaps own forehead) - I don't even know how I forgot that one.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think the closest I came to crying was when I first watched the tng episode "final mission", I was like only 4 years old and when I saw picard giving his "final" speech to wesley, I shed a few tears.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
Interesting question. As a ''first generation'' Star Trek fan, I'll freely admit I never ''cried'' due to anything I saw in the original series. There were poignant moments I could list, but in my opinion, the ''height'' for the TOS era came in STIITWoK as far as feeling the urge to shed tears. The entire emotional ''rollercoaster'' from Spock's death to the end is one for the record books.

Having never warmed over the later renditions, and admittedly having not seen all the episodes of any particular post-TOS series, there was an episode of TNG called ''Sarek'' that did get to me. I'll leave the details out for those of you who haven't seen it, but I was so inspired that I went to Paramount in late 1990 and sat and talked with Eric Stillwell (not the writer of ''Sarek'' but of another really good episode ''Yesterday's Enterprise''). That visit is a great story in itself as I wanted a copy of the ''Sarek'' episode script so much that Eric and I went from office to office trying to find an elusive copy of the script. At one point, we were standing in one office about to give up when Eric said, ''Stay here. Let me check one more place.'' He left, and through the door I suddenly noticed the ''crew'' of the Enterprise coming in, one-by-one, to one of the other desks in the outer office, all bedecked in full Starfleet uniform glory...Riker, Troi, Geordi, Data...the entire bridge crew minus only Picard...all the actors apparently coming in to get something from somebody sitting at the desk...a paycheck perhaps? Anyway, Eric came in holding a red-cover script. Success. ''I knew it had to be somewhere,'' he said as he handed it to me and indicated he had to go. As I followed him from the office, I off-handedly said to him as I pointed at the ''bridge crew'' lined up at the desk, ''Now that's cool." Eric tapped his hand on the office door nameplate as we walked out of the office I had been standing in. ''You think that's cool?'' he said. The nameplate on the office door said Gene Roddenberry. I had been waiting and standing alone in Gene Roddenberry's office all that time. I still have and cherish that script.

Anyway, that wonderful moment aside, I do have probably the most affinity for the last series, Enterprise. Again, I never found myself overly emotional about any of those particular episodes either, however, the final moment (minus the TNG ''invasion'') as Archer came back down the steps and embraced T'Pol...that was very much a moment. To some extent, I ''feel'' the most for that particular ''enterprise'', her ''crew'' both the actors and those they portrayed, as they had the bad luck to come at the end of a decades long journey when what was coined as ''franchise fatigue'' was setting in.

So, ultimately, while perhaps ''there's no crying in baseball'', I suspect there are plenty of opportunities in all of Star Trek to shed tears as individual stories ''reach'' different fans, different ways and for different reasons.

Star Trek is truly a journey enjoyed both as a whole and as the sum of its parts by generations of fans.
Awesome op there, Summer Storm!
I would have been shaking in my boots.

I agree wholeheartedly. Barring the many viewings of "Wrath of Khan" that it took to get to the point where I didn't share a tear - there's TNG's "Sarek".
Having met and broken bread with Mark Lenard, I was particularly affected by his wan appearance and of course, by his fantastic acting. Patrick Stewart's poignant portrayal in the ep also added to it - I was shocked, frightened, and snuffling by the end.
It was a tremendous episode.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

And the final scene in Unification II, of course!!!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Ensign

The scene that still gets to me, after seeing it like a thousand times, is from The Next Generation Episode "Family," when Picard finally breaks down after figthing with his brother Robert and talks about the Borg incident:

"You don't know, Robert, you don't know. They took everything I was. I should have been able to stop them! I tried. I tried so hard. But I wasn't strong enough! I wasn't good enough! I should have been able to stop them. I should, I should..."

"So, my brothe is a human being after all. This is going to be with you a long time, Jean-Luc. A long time."

Then after getting over that, the final scene of Picard's nephew Rene sitting outside in the dark looking up at the night sky, dreaming of starships and adventures. His mother says he's been out there a long time and Robert says to let him dream. Then a shooting star streaks across the sky.

That final scene has always summed up for me what Star Trek is all about.

A Couple Close Seconds...

Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
The final last scene as the Enterprise sails into the sunset and the signatures of the original actors go across the screen.

TOS "City on the Edge of Forever"
"Do you realize what you just did, Jim?!"
"He knows Doctor, he knows..."

TNG "The Inner Light"
The final scene of Picard, alone in his cabin, when he picks up the Ressikan flute and begins playing.

DS9 "What You Leave Behind"
When the crew gathers in Vic Fontaine's bar for one last time and he starts to sing The Way You Look Tonight

Last edited by kjh1701 : 11-30-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

That Family scene is often forgotten when people claim that Picard were out of character in FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
And the final scene in Unification II, of course!!!
It is especially touching if one remembers the scene from Sarek where Sarek, through Picard, utters his deep love for his son he never could show.
Leonard and Lenard are, I guess most people agree on that, the best actors to ever portray Vulcans and their appearances were highlights in TNG, not claiming that Blalock or Russ aren't good, but those two are hard to top.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
That Family scene is often forgotten when people claim that Picard were out of character in FC.
True, FC is the full expression of his repressed emotions distilled into revenge.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Vice Admiral

TOS - This Side of Paradise - Spock saying that for the first time in his life, he was happy.

TNG - when Deanna had Ian - that final scene where he was saying goodbye.

TNG - last episode as the camera pulls up from the poker table.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
True, FC is the full expression of his repressed emotions distilled into revenge.
It is how 'dark Trek' is supposed to be IMO, show a bright future (Picard also has his lines about that there is no greed anymore in teh 24th century) and show at the same time how fragile it is, that utopia is not the end of history, not something static but something which is always in danger, something one has to strive for.

Last edited by horatio : 11-30-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It is how 'dark Trek' is supposed to be IMO, show a bright future (Picard also has his lines about that there is no greed anymroe in teh 24th century) and show at the same time how fragile it is, that utopia is not the end of history, not somethign static but something which is always in danger, somethign one has to strive for.
It's like Picard's line about people like Norah Satie in 'The Drumhead', that 'Vigilance, that is the price we must continually pay' against elements that would undermine the Federation's principles.