The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > trek episode that made u cry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Default trek episode that made u cry

i ll never forget the DS9 episode ,the visitor,such a sentimental episode
whats yours?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

No episode has ever made me cry, but the Voyager episode Homestead gave me a lump in my throat when Neelix was leaving Voyager and Tuvok did the little "dance" with his foot for him.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
i ll never forget the DS9 episode ,the visitor,such a sentimental episode
whats yours?
I agree - have never 'cried' from Star Trek - but definitely a brilliant, emotional episode. One of Trek's all-time GREATEST episodes.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant

Interesting question. As a ''first generation'' Star Trek fan, I'll freely admit I never ''cried'' due to anything I saw in the original series. There were poignant moments I could list, but in my opinion, the ''height'' for the TOS era came in STIITWoK as far as feeling the urge to shed tears. The entire emotional ''rollercoaster'' from Spock's death to the end is one for the record books.

Having never warmed over the later renditions, and admittedly having not seen all the episodes of any particular post-TOS series, there was an episode of TNG called ''Sarek'' that did get to me. I'll leave the details out for those of you who haven't seen it, but I was so inspired that I went to Paramount in late 1990 and sat and talked with Eric Stillwell (not the writer of ''Sarek'' but of another really good episode ''Yesterday's Enterprise''). That visit is a great story in itself as I wanted a copy of the ''Sarek'' episode script so much that Eric and I went from office to office trying to find an elusive copy of the script. At one point, we were standing in one office about to give up when Eric said, ''Stay here. Let me check one more place.'' He left, and through the door I suddenly noticed the ''crew'' of the Enterprise coming in, one-by-one, to one of the other desks in the outer office, all bedecked in full Starfleet uniform glory...Riker, Troi, Geordi, Data...the entire bridge crew minus only Picard...all the actors apparently coming in to get something from somebody sitting at the desk...a paycheck perhaps? Anyway, Eric came in holding a red-cover script. Success. ''I knew it had to be somewhere,'' he said as he handed it to me and indicated he had to go. As I followed him from the office, I off-handedly said to him as I pointed at the ''bridge crew'' lined up at the desk, ''Now that's cool." Eric tapped his hand on the office door nameplate as we walked out of the office I had been standing in. ''You think that's cool?'' he said. The nameplate on the office door said Gene Roddenberry. I had been waiting and standing alone in Gene Roddenberry's office all that time. I still have and cherish that script.

Anyway, that wonderful moment aside, I do have probably the most affinity for the last series, Enterprise. Again, I never found myself overly emotional about any of those particular episodes either, however, the final moment (minus the TNG ''invasion'') as Archer came back down the steps and embraced T'Pol...that was very much a moment. To some extent, I ''feel'' the most for that particular ''enterprise'', her ''crew'' both the actors and those they portrayed, as they had the bad luck to come at the end of a decades long journey when what was coined as ''franchise fatigue'' was setting in.

So, ultimately, while perhaps ''there's no crying in baseball'', I suspect there are plenty of opportunities in all of Star Trek to shed tears as individual stories ''reach'' different fans, different ways and for different reasons.

Star Trek is truly a journey enjoyed both as a whole and as the sum of its parts by generations of fans.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Episodes that got me emotional - for DS9 definitely 'The Visitor' and the final scene between old Jake and Sisko, also Jadzia's death in 'Tears of the Prophets' when Worf performs the Klingon death scream for her. I admit that did get lumps in the throat because Jadzia was a favourite character of mine, though Sisko and Kassidy's final scene together where he visits her is good also.

I think those are the main ones, I don't remember any TOS ones, although I do find the scene in 'Sarek' where he becomes emotional at the music performance very affecting, and there wasn't really anything in VOY or TNG.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

What ever episode a baby changeling dies given Odo his ability to shape shift,
That was really sad.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Rear Admiral

The closest one to me getting depressed a little, was the Voyager episode "Living Witness". The ending was just sad.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 11-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
Interesting question. As a ''first generation'' Star Trek fan, I'll freely admit I never ''cried'' due to anything I saw in the original series. There were poignant moments I could list, but in my opinion, the ''height'' for the TOS era came in STIITWoK as far as feeling the urge to shed tears. The entire emotional ''rollercoaster'' from Spock's death to the end is one for the record books.

Having never warmed over the later renditions, and admittedly having not seen all the episodes of any particular post-TOS series, there was an episode of TNG called ''Sarek'' that did get to me. I'll leave the details out for those of you who haven't seen it, but I was so inspired that I went to Paramount in late 1990 and sat and talked with Eric Stillwell (not the writer of ''Sarek'' but of another really good episode ''Yesterday's Enterprise''). That visit is a great story in itself as I wanted a copy of the ''Sarek'' episode script so much that Eric and I went from office to office trying to find an elusive copy of the script. At one point, we were standing in one office about to give up when Eric said, ''Stay here. Let me check one more place.'' He left, and through the door I suddenly noticed the ''crew'' of the Enterprise coming in, one-by-one, to one of the other desks in the outer office, all bedecked in full Starfleet uniform glory...Riker, Troi, Geordi, Data...the entire bridge crew minus only Picard...all the actors apparently coming in to get something from somebody sitting at the desk...a paycheck perhaps? Anyway, Eric came in holding a red-cover script. Success. ''I knew it had to be somewhere,'' he said as he handed it to me and indicated he had to go. As I followed him from the office, I off-handedly said to him as I pointed at the ''bridge crew'' lined up at the desk, ''Now that's cool." Eric tapped his hand on the office door nameplate as we walked out of the office I had been standing in. ''You think that's cool?'' he said. The nameplate on the office door said Gene Roddenberry. I had been waiting and standing alone in Gene Roddenberry's office all that time. I still have and cherish that script.

Anyway, that wonderful moment aside, I do have probably the most affinity for the last series, Enterprise. Again, I never found myself overly emotional about any of those particular episodes either, however, the final moment (minus the TNG ''invasion'') as Archer came back down the steps and embraced T'Pol...that was very much a moment. To some extent, I ''feel'' the most for that particular ''enterprise'', her ''crew'' both the actors and those they portrayed, as they had the bad luck to come at the end of a decades long journey when what was coined as ''franchise fatigue'' was setting in.

So, ultimately, while perhaps ''there's no crying in baseball'', I suspect there are plenty of opportunities in all of Star Trek to shed tears as individual stories ''reach'' different fans, different ways and for different reasons.

Star Trek is truly a journey enjoyed both as a whole and as the sum of its parts by generations of fans.

thats a truly unique story summer
Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Commander

Okay my moment isn't as deep... But watching the Enterprise blow up in STIII always hurts.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Inner Light.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-