The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon maybe not always the best thing?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant

The people that say, "Everything you love is still on DVD, don't worry." What happens when the next video format comes out and Paramount decides NOT to release the old films, for whatever reason? What happens when the only way to get "classic" Trek is from "Time Life Video" while watching some obscure cable channel at 11:00 pm.

Do you remember the hulabalu the erupted when folks found out that the "original theaterical release" of Star Wars wasn't on the original DVD release? Yes, George Lucas finally bended for the individual releases of the DVD's, but what if he hadn't, what if he had stuck to his guns and said, "Nope, the 'enhanced' versions are the ones I want out there, and nothing else."

That's what I'm really concerned with, the current history of Trek being relegated to a dusty shelf, being forgotten for all time, and Star Trek slowly morphing with "remake after remake" until it's about a transforming ship crewed by Ninja Turtles looking for Pokemon.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Uh, nothing erases the past Trek. It's fiction. It's on VHS and DVD and soon to be Bloohoo or whatever. This isn't Back to the Future, where photographs disappear before your eyes. Nothing changes anything in Trek history before this movie. And if Nimoy is wrong, it's just a bad flick. Not the end of the universe as we know it.

Good grief, people. Get a grip.
I have a grip. I did not say "THE END OF THE UNIVERSE." I DO say I'm tired of people telling me to shut up and not make waves. If Trek fans had that attitude in 1968 the whole deal would have been dead after 2 seasons. Trekkers are vocal and active. I don't apologize for that. We should be well mannered about it but yes. Our love and respect for this old TV SERIES helped MAKE this Franchise. We have no claim yet are a part of it so just as I'm sure there were debates between Orci and Abrams over what to do, some of us will advocate our positions even though our individual voices mean little.

They don't mean NOTHING however. Just ask NBC.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sometimes I feel like what we remember will be left behind for a flash subpar product. It's my only worry.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Sometimes I feel like what we remember will be left behind for a flash subpar product. It's my only worry.
And from what we have seen, a justified worry! But we can only hope that will not be bad... And complain if it is.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
That's what I'm really concerned with, the current history of Trek being relegated to a dusty shelf, being forgotten for all time, and Star Trek slowly morphing with "remake after remake" until it's about a transforming ship crewed by Ninja Turtles looking for Pokemon.
Well, don't feel you have to stop yourself from tipping over into the ridiculous.

Nothing stays the same forever, nothing stays relevant without also accepting that it must adapt to the times it finds itself in, nothing at this point prevents this film from being true to the ideas of Trek.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Lieutenant

As I have said elsewhere, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of a reboot for Star Trek. I have enjoyed reading the outline for JMS Star Trek reboot, and Star Trek: Reborn.

I will be watching this movie when it comes out, and I hope I enjoy myself.

I agree all things change, but how much can you change before Star Trek really isn't Star Trek. For some people, they've already changed too much...that is their opinion, and no amount of debate, arguing, or bribing, is going to change their minds. For others, JJ's remake doesn't go far enough...

Someone referred to "the big things" of Star Trek...well, Warp Drive is common in many Sci-Fi stories, even to the name. Transporters also dot the Sci-Fi landscape, although they are often called teleporters instead. So, even if you "keep" the big things, somebody out there may say, "You know what, this whole Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic is too limiting as it is...I'm going to make McCoy a woman and have Kirk and Spock each secretly in love with her." Would that still be Star Trek? Well, for some people, it would be, because it has Star Trek in the title...but would it really be Star Trek?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, don't feel you have to stop yourself from tipping over into the ridiculous.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
And from what we have seen, a justified worry! But we can only hope that will not be bad... And complain if it is.

change isn't bad but amnesia...when it seems everythings bee forgotten that's disconcerting.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

LOTR is a good example. Even characters like Faramir or Frodo were changed to be less wise than in the book.
JJ et al will not go so far and change any characters. Yet Jackson was still successful and even mesmerized folks like myself who never heard of Tolkien before.
His movies made me read LOTR as well as other books by Tolkien, now guess what might happen when some people who don't know Trek yet see this movie and like it.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

I see your point. But is this the same? Really?
I though PJ was pretty faithful....

I'm not a follower of LoTR but I remember the Hobit cartoon.