The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Canon maybe not always the best thing?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Default Canon maybe not always the best thing?

I'm watching The Return of the King on TNT (yes, I own it...I never fail to enjoy watching something I love on a regular broadcast...it's like, I'm not the only one who loves it)...

I just watched the scene where Faramir took Frodo to Gondor....I remember we were all so appalled to learn (in advance, of course) that this had happened.

But, it utterly worked in the movie....when Frodo stood before the Nazgul and was about to put the ring on, then Sam tackled him!?! OMG!!! It was amazing.

So...you know...I'm thinking that absolute adherence to canon isn't nearly as important as making me clutch the hands of the poor people next to me, and making me gasp and making me laugh and making me cringe and making me weep with joy....

If it's beautiful, I'll forgive literary license because I know it has to happen.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Lieutenant

If I leave Star Trek in the theatre feeling satisfied than you can tell me that Kirk never died on that rock bridge and I won't give a sh*t.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'm watching The Return of the King on TNT (yes, I own it...I never fail to enjoy watching something I love on a regular broadcast...it's like, I'm not the only one who loves it)...

I just watched the scene where Faramir took Frodo to Gondor....I remember we were all so appalled to learn (in advance, of course) that this had happened.

But, it utterly worked in the movie....when Frodo stood before the Nazgul and was about to put the ring on, then Sam tackled him!?! OMG!!! It was amazing.

So...you know...I'm thinking that absolute adherence to canon isn't nearly as important as making me clutch the hands of the poor people next to me, and making me gasp and making me laugh and making me cringe and making me weep with joy....

If it's beautiful, I'll forgive literary license because I know it has to happen.
But as good as that is -- and I'm not saying it isn't, another example of canon that was altered to make a better film was the license taken with O'Barr's The Crow when it translated to film -- it's even better when a writer can do that by filling in what the original material left blank, skillfully crafting the story so that it's both powerful in its own right and leaves the original canon unaltered at the same time.

Hmm. Like playing the old game Operation. Remember that? Anybody can just reach in wit the tweezers and dig around, lighting up the alarm. Not the object of the game, though.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
But as good as that is -- and I'm not saying it isn't, another example of canon that was altered to make a better film was the license taken with O'Barr's The Crow when it translated to film -- it's even better when a writer can do that by filling in what the original material left blank, skillfully crafting the story so that it's both powerful in its own right and leaves the original canon unaltered at the same time.

Hmm. Like playing the old game Operation. Remember that? Anybody can just reach in wit the tweezers and dig around, lighting up the alarm. Not the object of the game, though.
Okay so you're a writer and you're obviously biased towards writers. Cool dude, well GL HF with the next movie. I have some swampland in Iowa I'd like to sell you!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Okay so you're a writer and you're obviously biased towards writers. Cool dude, well GL HF with the next movie. I have some swampland in Iowa I'd like to sell you!

It's responses like this that are the reason I hadn't bothered with being civil.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Commander

This is becoming like a campfire proverb, told by some ancient tribe that continues to get embellished by generation after generation. A few hundred years go by and the story is no longer recognizable, and no longer teaches the lesson it originally intended. Or a message passed from country to country, from language to language, until the entire message is lost in translation. And by that time of course, nobody cares anymore.
It's just sad to see, and I don't like seeing it. It's like Today's Tom Sawyer in that old Rush tune: "He knows changes aren't permanent, but change is.".
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant

A lot of the revisions to Tom Sawyer weren't officially 'canon' and were therefore complete BS.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Commander

Quote:
A lot of the revisions to Tom Sawyer weren't officially 'canon' and were therefore complete BS.
I'm guessing that was humor. I don't know. Just for the record, mine wasn't. This really is becoming "A Tale, told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.". Kind of like all these arguments are.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I'm guessing that was humor. I don't know. Just for the record, mine wasn't. This really is becoming "A Tale, told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.". Kind of like all these arguments are.
If I walk out of 'Star Trek' feeling satisfied and the franchise continues on then I don't care how old in Earth years Checkov was when he did whatever aboard the ship; or who Scotty's nephew ended up marrying.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Commander

Quote:
If I walk out of 'Star Trek' feeling satisfied and the franchise continues on then I don't care how old in Earth years Checkov was when he did whatever aboard the ship.
That isn't my point. Sure, if it's a good film, I'll be one of the first to say so. I'll be glad it got made, I'll be glad to see the franchise (that's such a cheap word) continue. But I hope it doesn't mean we forget how it got here. I hope it doesn't mean we forget how it all started, and where and from whom it all sprang. It's too much, and to good to just file 13 all those memories like so many shredded documents. I would have liked there to be a link somewhere between it all. Just saying canon (whatever that constitutes) is dead, and let's all move on and that's that, is just so petty and too easy and finite for me. Now I know what Adam and Eve must have felt like when they got thrown out of Eden. I'm just at a loss to explain what tree I ate from to deserve it.