The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Rated 'R' ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
True, although the original WOTW has an even more blatant happy ending, so it's hard to fault Spielberg on that count.

Agreed, in that MINORITY REPORT and AI are two of my least favorite Spielberg efforts.
I thought AI was a bit goofy. I had high expectations of it, especially after Haley Joel Osment just came off of filming The Sixth Sense and that it was a Spielberg movie.

I think he was trying to make some profound statement in the end, but I just didn't get it. I've only watched the movie once and have no desire to watch it again to try to get that meaning.

As for the ratings, it seemed as they made more movies, they got a little more colorful with the language. The first instance I can recall is Kirk referring to the Klingon after his son was killed. The Voyage Home made a joke of Spock's inability to properly "cuss" someone out.

The Enterprise series was incredibly disappointing and it seemed as though they were looking for excuses to get a racy scene in there or have someone swear. After season 2, I simply gave up.

J.J. has been experiencing a successful run lately and seems to be in tuned with what people are looking for. Cloverfield was slightly disappointing and to a degree, that has me concerned because he did a good job of hyping it up. The movie was good, but not epic. Lost and Fringe are doing relatively well and he seems to be focused on getting this film done.

I just hope he doesn't try to reinvent the franchise too much by using the sexuality and cussing to excess in this film, like they did with Enterprise. I'm more interested in the story of Kirk and Spock and what happens when they all get the ship underway on that first mission.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
whats ai
Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
So full frontal nudity would not be innappriate for Trek? I would have no problem with it, heck...I may even like it, but that sure would make it less family friendly. What would be innappriate for you? Would Kirk getting "hot and bothered"with a half clothed green woman be inappropriate?
My standards are scriptural as I'm Chrisitan. I consider it all inappropriate but there is a line I won't cross for the sake of entertainment. Trek has done a great job with avoiding that line untill Star Trek Enterprise.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Corrigan View Post
I just hope he doesn't try to reinvent the franchise too much by using the sexuality and cussing to excess in this film, like they did with Enterprise. I'm more interested in the story of Kirk and Spock and what happens when they all get the ship underway on that first mission.
You really thought ENT had too much sexuality and cussing? Do you go to the same church as Saquist? (JK) I agree ENT was more sexual, and had a few words thrown in every now and then that are a bit on the cussing side, but ENT was intended to bridge the gap between our modern time and that of known Trek. The uniforms, the touchscreens, the ballcaps, the water polo, etc... and even the "cussing" were meant to show this midway conversion into the almost "angelic" human race portrayed in TNG.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Artificial Intelligence

My standards are scriptural as I'm Chrisitan. I consider it all inappropriate but there is a line I won't cross for the sake of entertainment. Trek has done a great job with avoiding that line untill Star Trek Enterprise.
Are you intentionally being cryptic and vague? Do you think trek would ever show a woman's private parts (or man's)? Your last answer wasn't really an answer, but implied you thought Trek could/would go there, and that doing so itself would NOT be innappropriate. Now you are saying your values are Christian and that it all is inappropriate. Which is it?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm going to need you to break down that particular understanding and how you came to it?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile sexuality and startrek

Gene Roddenberry was not a prude TOS stretched the line on what they could show on TV in the 1960's.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Many shows stretched the line. Him being a prude is inconsequential to the censors and FCC.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Midshipman

I really doubt it will be rated R.

It may show Uhura in her braw and mabye some blood, but Star Trek has never been about gore.

I am 60% sure, that I am 100% sure it will be rated PG-13.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
I think that the "Uhura's Boob" thing is given to much emphasis. You do not know if she take her bra off in the movie? (I seriously doubt that will happen) Beside on any given beach in the world where people bathe in the sun, the modern bikini is more revealing than Uhura's bra shot. As a parent I love taking my kids to the beach. I am not going to stop taking them because there might be a lady wearing a skimpy bikini. The violence in our media is what I try to protect my kids from. Psycologically it has more potential to harm.
Agreed...and, geeze...what a "tidy whitey" bra she's wearing....on a guess, most kids have seen Mom in something similar or more interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I have no idea how the actual scene was written, but here's how my brain fills in the blanks:

Kirk is getting jiggy with the green chick in the cabin she shares with Uhura (check the pics--the wall hangings are identical). They hear the door open, Greenie shoves Kirk off her and tells him to hide. He dives under the bed, she runs into the bathroom. Uhura comes in, unaware that Kirk is under the bed, and starts changing out of her uniform for a leisurely off-duty evening. Kirk gets an eyefull, and so do we.

The professional writer(s) can take it from there.
That's how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
So full frontal nudity would not be innappriate for Trek? I would have no problem with it, heck...I may even like it, but that sure would make it less family friendly. What would be innappriate for you? Would Kirk getting "hot and bothered"with a half clothed green woman be inappropriate?
Two words: "EXTENDED EDITION"...

I'd pay loads for the adult version but I want the theatrical version to be reasonably squeaky clean....I want the movie to attract new viewers, but as an elderly fan with a dirty mind, I'm all over the idea of a version just for us where everyone takes their clothes off, all the pairings we've been fantasizing over happen (poor Spock...he's going to be very tired....I'd wager that over 75% of sexually explicit fan fic involves Spock with someone...Uhura, Kirk, Chapel, McCoy...heck, I've read stories pairing him with Sulu {which works in my mind}, Chekov {which doesn't at all} and even Scotty....{I'm not sure if it worked or not...I'm still confused by the idea})

It should be shrouded in black with little silver emblems all over it and cost an arm and a leg....plus, you should have to give ID to prove you're over 18....it would make zillions....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'm personally glad. I don't always enjoy the dark side. But...it is often realistic. I still don't want to watch it for entertainment. But even worse that the happy endings people seem not to like...is the use of aliens...
This guy is alien crazy.

AI
ET
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Close Encounters.

What's with the alien theme?
The sky -- and who/what may live among the stars -- is a huge childhood theme for Spielberg, so it's not surprising he deals with it in a few of his films (noting that WAR OF THE WORLDS would fit this bill as well, though the aliens are mostly metaphor in that case).

CE3K and ET are opposite sides of the same dramatic coin in some ways, bookends telling the same story from opposite ends of the telescope.

I still find no good reason to explain CRYSTAL SKULL, but I drop the blame for that squarely in George Lucas's lap.

Spielberg fairly much 'inherited' AI from Kubrick, so it wasn't really his gig in the first place.

Quote:
AI sucked....
Minority Report I disagree with you...A Great film if they're was one.
I didn't connect with either film emotionally, but clearly your mileage varies on the latter. C'est la vie!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!